• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farnborough to Watford/Denham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

I want to travel from Farnborough to Watford (Metropolitan Line) go for a walk along the Grand Union Canal to Denham and then head back into London and go on a bit of a pub crawl, using tube and buses before returning to Farnborough. I'm not planning to arrive in London before 12 Noon, so Super Off Peak would be valid.

Initially I thought that would simply be a Travelcard, but I when I checked I found a couple of problems. Firstly that Denham is outside of the Travelcard area and secondly a Travelcard from Farnborough only appears to cover Zone 1-6 and Watford is in Zone 8.

I would be grateful for any advice as to what my best ticketing options are. I have an Annual Gold Card and an Oystercard.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Which Farnborough station? What journey is your annual season ticket valid for?

Ivo

Established Member
Initially I thought that would simply be a Travelcard, but I when I checked I found a couple of problems. Firstly that Denham is outside of the Travelcard area and secondly a Travelcard from Farnborough only appears to cover Zone 1-6 and Watford is in Zone 8.

It's more complicated than even that. All of Watford's stations are in a different Zone; Watford (Metropolitan line) is in 7, Watford High Street (Overground) is in 8, and Watford Junction (Overground/LM/Southern) is in "W". No standard Travelcard is valid to Watford Junction at all, unless of course its route into London either starts at or runs via Watford Junction. (Watford North (LM) is completely clear of the Zones.)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I reckon you might be better off paying for Moor Park - Watford with Oyster and Denham - West Ruislip (or Boundary Zone 6) separate, although that does mean you have to detrain at Moor Park and touch in.

Bill Badger

It's more complicated than even that. All of Watford's stations are in a different Zone; Watford (Metropolitan line) is in 7, Watford High Street (Overground) is in 8, and Watford Junction (Overground/LM/Southern) is in "W". No standard Travelcard is valid to Watford Junction at all, unless of course its route into London either starts at or runs via Watford Junction. (Watford North (LM) is completely clear of the Zones.)

I definitely only want to go to Watford (Metropolitan Line)

I reckon you might be better off paying for Moor Park - Watford with Oyster and Denham - West Ruislip (or Boundary Zone 6) separate, although that does mean you have to detrain at Moor Park and touch in.

From this I'm guessing that a Farnborough to Zone 7 Travelcard doesn't exist.

The other thing I noticed is that there is a bus 331 which goes to Denham, which I think a Travelcard would be valid on.

Perhaps I would be better off just getting a return to London and then using my Oystercard?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
From this I'm guessing that a Farnborough to Zone 7 Travelcard doesn't exist.

Unfortunately outboundary travelcards are only valid to Zone 6.

The other thing I noticed is that there is a bus 331 which goes to Denham, which I think a Travelcard would be valid on.

Yes, that is correct.

Edit:

Perhaps I would be better off just getting a return to London and then using my Oystercard?

The prices you need are:

Scenario 1

Farnborough Stations - London Terminals
Route Not Via Reading
Super Off-Peak Day Return Restriction BE
Gold Card £10.70

Amersham Und - London Zones 1-6
Route AAA Ldn Zone 7-9
Off-Peak Day Travelcard Restriction B1
Gold Card £7.60
(This is a Zones 1-9 travelcard.)

Scenario 2

Farnborough Stations - London Zones 1-6
Route Not Via Reading
Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard Restriction BE
Gold Card £13.80

Gold Card-discounted Oyster PAYG fare between Moor Park and Watford is 95p off-peak, £1.50 peak (no discount).

I assume that as you have to travel a few times within London afterwards, a travelcard is more suitable.

Clearly buying a travelcard from Farnborough then paying for the Watford journey separate is much cheaper.

Last edited:

Bill Badger

The prices you need are:

Scenario 1

Farnborough Stations - London Terminals
Route Not Via Reading
Super Off-Peak Day Return Restriction BE
Gold Card £10.70

Amersham Und - London Zones 1-6
Route AAA Ldn Zone 7-9
Off-Peak Day Travelcard Restriction B1
Gold Card £7.60
(This is a Zones 1-9 travelcard.)

Scenario 2

Farnborough Stations - London Zones 1-6
Route Not Via Reading
Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard Restriction BE
Gold Card £13.80

Gold Card-discounted Oyster PAYG fare between Moor Park and Watford is 95p off-peak, £1.50 peak (no discount).

Thanks Scenario 2 looks the way to go.

One other question, I had my Gold Card discount added to my Oystercard, but have since renewed it. Does it get updated automatically, or do I have to go to a booking office and get it added again? If the later, can this be done at Moor Park?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I had my Gold Card discount added to my Oystercard, but have since renewed it. Does it get updated automatically, or do I have to go to a booking office and get it added again? If the later, can this be done at Moor Park?

You have to get it done again, it expires on the date your gold card expires. Yes, you should be able to do it at Moor Park, in fact any LU run Underground station, though I usually recommend the ones at mainline terminals because they are more used to how to do it. For safety you might want to take a look at my site and print out the beginning of the railcard discounts page.

Status
Not open for further replies.