• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast Ashford to Tonbridge Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
I've been wondering how many trains are scheduled to run non stop between Ashford and Tonbridge in each direction on an average weekday. I've only found the 08:53 Charing Cross - Ashford, but are there any others?

I'm surprised that there aren't more, but I suppose the towns and villages between the two are increasingly popular and well used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Fast services on the South Eastern mainline were decimated when domestic HS1 services came into being.

TheJRB

Established Member
Fast services on the South Eastern mainline were decimated when domestic HS1 services came into being.

Well that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that. There's still a few trains that skip the odd station on the route in the peak, but that's it then I suppose.

Hydro

Established Member
It did give a lot more places a more frequent direct route to London, but it's still advantageous to have some fast services on the SEML. A journey I do frequently is Grove Park - Canterbury West, and that's about 2 hours or so including the change at Sevenoaks, the meat of that on the second leg from Sevenoaks to Ashford.

ji459

One Saturday in the summer I took the train from Ashford to Tonbridge. It was late arriving into Ashford, so the conductor announced it wouldn't be stopping again until Tonbridge. It was quite fun to travel non-stop! I did feel a little bit bad for the people waiting at the stations we went past though LOL!

TheJRB

Established Member
It did give a lot more places a more frequent direct route to London, but it's still advantageous to have some fast services on the SEML. A journey I do frequently is Grove Park - Canterbury West, and that's about 2 hours or so including the change at Sevenoaks, the meat of that on the second leg from Sevenoaks to Ashford.

I can imagine those small stations must drag the journey out a bit!

One Saturday in the summer I took the train from Ashford to Tonbridge. It was late arriving into Ashford, so the conductor announced it wouldn't be stopping again until Tonbridge. It was quite fun to travel non-stop! I did feel a little bit bad for the people waiting at the stations we went past though LOL!

Do you know how long it took? The scheduled time for the 08:43 from Charing Cross is 30 minutes from Tonbridge to Ashford, but from what I have read, that gives it a little time to make up in case of any delays.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah, those were the days when you could speed along non-stop from Waterloo to Tonbridge, then non-stop again to Ashford via the through roads at Paddock wood and Headcorn on a slammer (is there a nostalgia emoticon ?).

Welshman

Established Member
Before HS1 you could leave Charing Cross at x00, Waterloo East at x03, then rattle along non-stop to Ashford in 58 minutes, using the middle lines at Tonbridge.

And how they used to speed along the racing stretch from Tonbridge!!

Nostalgia indeed!

Hydro

Established Member
It still feels unusual having to stop at the likes of Tonbridge and Paddock Wood.

ji459

Do you know how long it took? The scheduled time for the 08:43 from Charing Cross is 30 minutes from Tonbridge to Ashford, but from what I have read, that gives it a little time to make up in case of any delays.

Sorry, I don't remember. I did think though that since the driver was trying to make up time, we ought to have been going faster.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, I've never actually been on one thats not stopped at Tonbridge.

Anonywave

telstarbox said:
Tonbridge has 14 trains per hour, it's an important station!

Yes, running non stop between London and Ashford seems like bad idea, especially due to the high passenger numbers at some of these stations.

I must admit, I've never actually been on one thats not stopped at Tonbridge.

There is currently a service to Hastings/Ore which runs fast between Waterloo East and High Brooms then stops at all stations. Ill admit it seems like a very odd service.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There is currently a service to Hastings/Ore which runs fast between Waterloo East and High Brooms then stops at all stations. Ill admit it seems like a very odd service.

That might explain it as I'm usually on the Aahford route when travelling on scheduled services.

telstarbox

Established Member

There are a couple up to London which don't stop at Tonbridge in the morning peak. This relieves overcrowding on the Hastings - London services because Tonbridge passengers can get the services from Ashford as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.