• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
Maybe not so, the motors will only use sufficient energy to maintain the speed that the driver requires.
However if the gearing is unusually high then it may not be as efficient as a motor geared for the local line speeds.

You could same about a car, I own a VW Golf that is limited (by VW) to a maximum speed of 155 mph, but returns reasonable fuel consumption at UK legal speeds. If I wanted better economy then a similar car with a smaller / less powerful engine would be a sensible option. FWIW, 0-60 mph can be attained in 5 seconds, 0-100 takes 12 seconds. (Figures from an Autocar road test, not personal experience....)

Golf R with DSG box? (Sorry OT!).

Mod - split from here

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delticdave

Golf R with DSG box? (Sorry OT!).
Yup! Actually 1 each, a hatch for me & a sensible (!) wagon for SWMBO.
FWIW, my daily is an 8 year old 2.0 TSi Superb which takes 7.7 seconds to reach 62 mph & maxes out at 147 mph.
Bit of a slug but so nice to drive & more comfortable than any train that I've ridden in the UK.
(Amtrak's California Bi-Levels seats are really nice, but's that's OT too...)

DustyBin

Established Member
Yup! Actually 1 each, a hatch for me & a sensible (!) wagon for SWMBO.
FWIW, my daily is an 8 year old 2.0 TSi Superb which takes 7.7 seconds to reach 62 mph & maxes out at 147 mph.
Bit of a slug but so nice to drive & more comfortable than any train that I've ridden in the UK.
(Amtrak's California Bi-Levels seats are really nice, but's that's OT too...)

Haha excellent, so you like them then?!

I have a Focus RS with the 375bhp tune (basically a dealer fit option) and a new Fiesta ST as my daily driver which is actually quite comfortable and great for squeezing into parking spaces. Having had large German saloons as company cars for years I appreciate it’s compactness. My GF has an ST200 for good measure too (The Fiesta variant, not the late 90’s Mondeo).

delticdave

Haha excellent, so you like them then?!

I have a Focus RS with the 375bhp tune (basically a dealer fit option) and a new Fiesta ST as my daily driver which is actually quite comfortable and great for squeezing into parking spaces. Having had large German saloons as company cars for years I appreciate it’s compactness. My GF has an ST200 for good measure too (The Fiesta variant, not the late 90’s Mondeo).
'Tis way O/T but I've driven a 5 cylinder Focus ST many years ago. Didn't buy it though, it was thirstier than my 3.0 V6 Ghis X Mondy...

My current wife used to own a VW Eos & I enjoyed it enough to get into VAG products, (& we are both ford Pensioners.....).
Not too sure what to buy next though, + our little fleet are all low mileage cars so we might wait another year.

As for fast accelerating EMU's, The DB 425's. articulated 4-cars, 8 motors, 2344 kW, 113 tonnes & 160 km/h are quite nippy....
The S-Bahn version, class 423 is slower, (140 km/h) 2360 kW, 105 tonnes but with better acceleration . They are both 20 year old designs too.

Richard Scott

Established Member
As for fast accelerating EMU's, The DB 425's. articulated 4-cars, 8 motors, 2344 kW, 113 tonnes & 160 km/h are quite nippy....
The S-Bahn version, class 423 is slower, (140 km/h) 2360 kW, 105 tonnes but with better acceleration . They are both 20 year old designs too.
Quick but the nastiest things I've ridden on. Horrid seats, draughty and generally quite unpleasant, like a lot of German cars, seeing as we're having a thread digression!

delticdave

Quick but the nastiest things I've ridden on. Horrid seats, draughty and generally quite unpleasant, like a lot of German cars, seeing as we're having a thread digression!
They are old units now, we were Germany last year, ( near Boppard) & rode in some of the newer units on both side of the Rhine, they were good enough for us.
As for our mini-fleet, the seats in the Golfs seem OK ( the leather in the R wagon is not so comfortable as the fabric seats in the hatch, but the Superb's are noticablly better ), + no draughts unless the windows are open & the ergonomics are great. Not so true in the latest Golfs. Octavias, etc. though the central flat-screen is used for the essentials that use to have real buttons & knobs.

DustyBin

Established Member
'Tis way O/T but I've driven a 5 cylinder Focus ST many years ago. Didn't buy it though, it was thirstier than my 3.0 V6 Ghis X Mondy...

My current wife used to own a VW Eos & I enjoyed it enough to get into VAG products, (& we are both ford Pensioners.....).
Not too sure what to buy next though, + our little fleet are all low mileage cars so we might wait another year.

I had a 5 cylinder Focus ST, it was a great car. 22mpg though, tops!

Richard Scott

Established Member
I've not long bought a Clio RS 197 (only 19k on the clock!), and it's a very good incentive to drive efficiently!
Know we're way off topic now but have an Alfa 147 GTA, sounds great and if very very careful can get 40mpg on a long run!!! 30mpg more usual or much less if drive enthusiastically!!!!

delticdave

I had a 5 cylinder Focus ST, it was a great car. 22mpg though, tops!
The only 5-cylinder car that we ever had was a Volvo D70 with the 2.4 liter diesel, that averaged 35.9 over 9K miles. Better than the three V6 Mondeo Estates, (over 12+ years) 27-30mpg, but no fun to drive.
My old Superb is much better, 35+ mpg over the last 33K miles, but the 2.0 TSi with a stage 1 remap has decent power & torque & is a good match to the 6-speed DSG.

DustyBin

Established Member
The only 5-cylinder car that we ever had was a Volvo D70 with the 2.4 liter diesel, that averaged 35.9 over 9K miles. Better than the three V6 Mondeo Estates, (over 12+ years) 27-30mpg, but no fun to drive.
My old Superb is much better, 35+ mpg over the last 33K miles, but the 2.0 TSi with a stage 1 remap has decent power & torque & is a good match to the 6-speed DSG.

I always think remapping a run of the mill family barge like a Superb is a sign of a true petrol head, well done!

My least economical car ever was (or is as it’s in my garage in bits!) a Mk3 Granada 24v. It used to manage 16mpg under normal conditions but if driven ‘enthusiastically’ could maintain 5mpg or less for a sustained period....

I thought we may end up with our own thread, sorry mods!

I'll throw my daily in which I bought in January of this year.

68 plate BMW M140i. Love the 3.0 6 cylinder. The noise is only matched by the actual engine performance. Absolutely in love with it. And considering the engine I'm returning around 24mpg on average.

SeanG

I've got a Hyundai I30N as my daily, can't say I ever see north of 30mpg ot of its 2.0 turbo, indeed anything above 25 is a miracle.

That said I drove North East - Weymouth this summer and sitting at 68 on the motorway seems to be a sweet spot and I think I got about 35mpg all the way. Cruise control helps in any situation, massively

ABB125

Established Member
My dad's recently bought a 2003 Porsche Boxter S (I think). Completely different to anything he's had before! Fuel economy isn't quite as high as his Skoda Superb diesel* though... :D

*A very "superb" car! He can get approaching 60mpg on a long journey, even when "making progress" (ie: 75-80mph GPS), and it's got plenty of power when needed.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Had two Alfa's with the 2.4 5 cylinder JTD engine. Stunning engine, revved well for a diesel although the 10V had more if a 5 cylinder warble than the 20V. Do miss it but any survivors somewhat long in the tooth now. Shame they didn't put the V6 diesel in the Giulia, apparently it fits. Never understand the Italians, if they want to take sales from Germany, make the cars that appeal to all, surely a V6 diesel would have been worth it, seems the Germans think do judging by their offerings?

delticdave

I always think remapping a run of the mill family barge like a Superb is a sign of a true petrol head, well done!

My least economical car ever was (or is as it’s in my garage in bits!) a Mk3 Granada 24v. It used to manage 16mpg under normal conditions but if driven ‘enthusiastically’ could maintain 5mpg or less for a sustained period....

I thought we may end up with our own thread, sorry mods!
We've had 6 cars mapped so far (all stage 1), my last Ghia X V6 Mondeo, only 21 bhp more but nicer to drive .An ST220 exhaust would help but I decided to wait until the original system rusted away. Didn't happen....
The other cars were 2 x Mk 2 Octavia vRS's, 2 x VW Eos, all 2.0 petrol, 2 manuals & 2 DSG, + the barge.

I'd never argue about the Superb 2's barge-like looks, but it is quite slippery too. Also the long wheelbase = stability at speed, the suspension design is the same as the Golf &/or Passat with genuine IRS & it doesn't wallow or lean when cornering.

I also like that it's not too wide to park, in my garage or a public car-park. It's a rubbish 5-seater, but 4 tall people can all enjoy decent leg-room. It's has the Elegance trim so has decent equipment & the build-quality is much better than you'd expect for the price.

I really wanted to replace it with an Arteon, (2.0 TSi, 273 or 280 ps, 7-speed DSG, more modern, etc.) but it's too fat!
It's 2127mm over the mirrors, my Superb is only 2009mm. My 1965 house has a nice brick built garage but it's only 16.5 feet long, 8.5 feet wide & with a 7 foot wide door, That's quite limiting with todays new cars. (It was probably designed around a Mk.1 Cortina!)

I don't feel that I'm a real petrol-head, I'm not keen to "mod" any of our current cars, especially the R's, & I like the stock look. I am now a senior citizen, (been driving cars for 53+ years), still enjoy driving but I don't want to "stand-out" in the crowd.

We've had 6 cars mapped so far (all stage 1), my last Ghia X V6 Mondeo, only 21 bhp more but nicer to drive .An ST220 exhaust would help but I decided to wait until the original system rusted away. Didn't happen....
The other cars were 2 x Mk 2 Octavia vRS's, 2 x VW Eos, all 2.0 petrol, 2 manuals & 2 DSG, + the barge.

I'd never argue about the Superb 2's barge-like looks, but it is quite slippery too. Also the long wheelbase = stability at speed, the suspension design is the same as the Golf &/or Passat with genuine IRS & it doesn't wallow or lean when cornering.

I also like that it's not too wide to park, in my garage or a public car-park. It's a rubbish 5-seater, but 4 tall people can all enjoy decent leg-room. It's has the Elegance trim so has decent equipment & the build-quality is much better than you'd expect for the price.

I really wanted to replace it with an Arteon, (2.0 TSi, 273 or 280 ps, 7-speed DSG, more modern, etc.) but it's too fat!
It's 2127mm over the mirrors, my Superb is only 2009mm. My 1965 house has a nice brick built garage but it's only 16.5 feet long, 8.5 feet wide & with a 7 foot wide door, That's quite limiting with todays new cars. (It was probably designed around a Mk.1 Cortina!)

I don't feel that I'm a real petrol-head, I'm not keen to "mod" any of our current cars, especially the R's, & I like the stock look. I am now a senior citizen, (been driving cars for 53+ years), still enjoy driving but I don't want to "stand-out" in the crowd.
Had two Alfa's with the 2.4 5 cylinder JTD engine. Stunning engine, revved well for a diesel although the 10V had more if a 5 cylinder warble than the 20V. Do miss it but any survivors somewhat long in the tooth now. Shame they didn't put the V6 diesel in the Giulia, apparently it fits. Never understand the Italians, if they want to take sales from Germany, make the cars that appeal to all, surely a V6 diesel would have been worth it, seems the Germans think do judging by their offerings?
Maybe the V6 diesel was too heavy &/or not efficient enough? (Fuel consumption &/or emissions?)

Last edited:

Established Member
I currently have a very low performance car as a daily driver - a 51 plate LTI TX1.

2.7 non turbo diesel, 4 speed auto (with overdrive :D), weighs roughly the same as a small moon and has the aerodynamics of a brick.
When new it had 80hp on tap, though presumably quite a few of those horses have escaped over the last half million miles, and I've had it flat out on the M8 (downhill) at a whopping 83mph. :lol:

Fuel economy is on par with somewhat higher performance cars - my last fill up after 160 miles around town worked out at 18mpg...

In every measurable way it's the worst car I've owned, and yet it's far and away the most fun and I absolutely love it. :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I currently have a very low performance car as a daily driver - a 51 plate LTI TX1.

2.7 non turbo diesel, 4 speed auto (with overdrive :D), weighs roughly the same as a small moon and has the aerodynamics of a brick.
When new it had 80hp on tap, though presumably quite a few of those horses have escaped over the last half million miles, and I've had it flat out on the M8 (downhill) at a whopping 83mph. :lol:

Fuel economy is on par with somewhat higher performance cars - my last fill up after 160 miles around town worked out at 18mpg...

In every measurable way it's the worst car I've owned, and yet it's far and away the most fun and I absolutely love it. :D
South of the river this time of night!?

Status
Not open for further replies.