• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast Food "Pound" Takeaways

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

We've all seen the rise and rise of Pound shops selling commercial goods but today is the first instance that I've seen a takeaway selling fast food exclusively at that price!

There's is a new takeaway that has opened directly opposite Forest Gate station selling a range of Indian fast food including biryanis, samosas and curries - all for just £1 each.

I had a beef Biryani and couldn't complain, considering that most Indian restaurants sell Biryanis for average between £6-8.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Depends on the size though really. I know on Lea Bridge road theres a fried chicken shop that has been doing 1 piece of chicken and chips fro a quid for ages. Few on Leyton high road too. I dread to imagine the quality of both chicken and the chips but the kids seem to love it in there as always full after school throws out.

Oh they also do a pizza with one topping for a quid too. Yuck

MCW

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I love Indiand food but I don't love it when it is cheap. it's Like Maryland Chicken places, bloody rancid meat for a cheap price, Bluergh....

I'd rather eat my own vomit.

Ivo

Established Member
I found one very close to Ealing Broadway station (not sure if it was actually on the Broadway or not) in June (?) last year. Not bad considering the price.

SS4

Established Member
The sides would be alright but the quality of the meat would be terrible and there is bound to be some animal cruelty involved somewhere.

SS4

Established Member
Birmingham has a couple of 50p baguette shops, they're not bad either.

That's true and ironically not bad. I've counted at least three in the city centre (Corporation St, Lower Bull St and New St)

theblackwatch

Established Member
they are actually quite good, cheap and cheerful

I used one of these places in Wigan the other week when on the Northern Day Ticket offer and got myself a couple of pies. Although I've had better from elsewhere, I think for the price you can't complain about them - they were certainly edible.

Ivo

Established Member
You should try looking oop north...

http://www.poundbakery.co.uk

Down south we don't get one jumbo sausage roll for £1 most of the time; never mind two :(

Hmm... I note that they are concentrated on the Manchester/Liverpool/Preston triangle. I wish I knew these things existed when on the GM Challenge in February! Mind you, the burger and chips meal from the place in Wigan close to the entrance to Wallgate station was pretty good! :p

WatcherZero

Established Member
PoundBakery is a sub brand of Sayers, I think they rebranded all the Hampsons into Poundbakerys. Sayers were based in Bootle but went bust in 2008 and closed their Liverpool Factory and stores, the ones that remained were a management buyout.

Statto

Established Member
Pasties, Sausage Rolls i'm not to bothered, as there's some tasty ones for £1 or less, but for main Takeaway meals, i'd be wary about the quality of the ingredients, i'd expect the toughest & cheapest cut of the Meat & not far off from going rancid.

tbtc

Veteran Member
You should try looking oop north...

http://www.poundbakery.co.uk

I've not tried them but I have seen the Halifax store.

they are actually quite good, cheap and cheerful

I used one of these places in Wigan the other week when on the Northern Day Ticket offer and got myself a couple of pies. Although I've had better from elsewhere, I think for the price you can't complain about them - they were certainly edible.

PoundBakery is a sub brand of Sayers, I think they rebranded all the Hampsons into Poundbakerys. Sayers were based in Bootle but went bust in 2008 and closed their Liverpool Factory and stores, the ones that remained were a management buyout.

We've got one in Sheffield too (Sayers/ Hampsons never made it over here AFAIK, the closest one I can think of was in Leeds).

Problem is they'll be the £1.20 Bakery before long (due to Osbourne's tax on "ambient" foods)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The Pound Bakery where I live is certainly popular! I stick to Tesco for lunch though :P

SS4

Established Member
Are there any cheap fish and chip places in London? Also, how does McDonalds taste like in the UK?

Depends how you define cheap. Fish and chips will usually set you back somewhere between 2 and £3 of which it's roughly a 50/50 split - chips alone are less than £1.50
IMO they have the best cost per kcal ratio.

It's hard to described how McDonalds tastes in the UK since I don't have a reference to compare it to. The fries are crispy and salty, the nuggets are delicious and mcflurry's good (not as nice as Sainsbury's own brand ice-cream IMO) but they add smarties and cadbury chocolate in - the same stuff they make Dairy Milk from but in chunk form.
Milkshakes come in banana, strawberry and another flavour I always forget. I rarely have a burger of any kind though nor cheese - the latter looks awful and I still maintain cheese shouldn't shine.
Perhaps the biggest difference is that there is no super size portion.
As for cost large fries are £1.29, large milkshake is much the same, McFlurry's are just over £1 (sometimes £0.99 if it's on offer) and nuggets are about £2 for 6 [I could be very wrong here!]

tony_mac

Established Member
Fish and chips will usually set you back somewhere between 2 and £3 of which it's roughly a 50/50 split
I would take that with a pinch of salt!

You can get an idea of prices by viewing the menus at places like just-eat.co.uk

Darandio

Established Member
Depends how you define cheap. Fish and chips will usually set you back somewhere between 2 and £3 of which it's roughly a 50/50 split - chips alone are less than £1.50
IMO they have the best cost per kcal ratio.

Where can you get fish and chips for between £2 and £3! And is it Cod, or one of the exotic replacements which are appearing?

I assume there are some places that would be at this price but I have never seen it, even when I was a delivery driver and became a connoiseur of all establishments in the North-East! :lol:

SS4

Established Member
I would take that with a pinch of salt!

You can get an idea of prices by viewing the menus at places like just-eat.co.uk

Where can you get fish and chips for between £2 and £3! And is it Cod, or one of the exotic replacements which are appearing?

I assume there are some places that would be at this price but I have never seen it, even when I was a delivery driver and became a connoiseur of all establishments in the North-East! :lol:

Perhaps I underestimated :oops:. More like £4-£5? I only normally get chips

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Talk about saving money... even at a pound if people bothered to make their own lunch before going out they still stand to save a fair sum!

43021HST

Established Member
I found one very close to Ealing Broadway station (not sure if it was actually on the Broadway or not) in June (?) last year. Not bad considering the price.

Thanks for that I'll keep that in mind, cheap places to buy food in London are generally a rarity.

I have only found two places in/near London that do decent chips, non of this fries nonsense. Both in Harolds Wood, the chips aren't too expensive either; about £1.50 that's good for London prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.