• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast-ticket machines and child tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Recently, whilst trying to purchase a ticket for my sister on the fast-ticket machine at Hull (I had already purchased mine), there didn't seem to be any way of purchasing a child ticket without at the same time having to buy an adult ticket. How are unaccompanied children supposed to buy a ticket in the event of the booking office being closed? I'm guessing that on certain TOCs you could potentially be punished if you hadn't bought your ticket from the ticket machine and instead attempted to buy onboard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They can't punish them - they have to sell the full range on board in such circumstances, I believe.

glynn80

Established Member
Recently, whilst trying to purchase a ticket for my sister on the fast-ticket machine at Hull (I had already purchased mine), there didn't seem to be any way of purchasing a child ticket without at the same time having to buy an adult ticket. How are unaccompanied children supposed to buy a ticket in the event of the booking office being closed? I'm guessing that on certain TOCs you could potentially be punished if you hadn't bought your ticket from the ticket machine and instead attempted to buy onboard.

This has been in place on TfL London Underground self service ticket machines for a while now. In circumstances where the booking office is closed and the barriers are closed (this can occur if a member of staff mans the barrier) the child in question has to claim a refund from TfL Customer Services. This problem is currently decreasing though due to the introduction of Oyster.

I have in the past been told that not buying a discounted ticket is no excuse for not buying a ticket at all and that the phrase "appropriate ticket" (the wording used in the Penalty Fare Rules) refers to the route rather than the discount applied on the ticket. However this is opinion of the TOC (First Capital Connect) in question rather than a nationwide view. I would suggest speaking to the guard before boarding to avoid any potential issues.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It does seem a little unfair when public transport is the only option for those under 16.

glynn80

Established Member
It does seem a little unfair when public transport is the only option for those under 16.

Its obviously to combat fare evasion especially where barriers are used as the principal method of revenue protection. I cannot agree with child fares being taken off machines in areas such as Hull where really there is no need with on train checks etc.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would never stand up in court, whatever Farce (they really are a farce...) say. It's like saying you should pay for a large chips at a McDonalds if you only want a small chips and write for a refund. The fact that Farce even suggested it is quite worrying.:|

Daniel

Established Member
By the way, on the London Underground, Child Fares are available throughout morning and evening peak periods, when the queues at ticket offices are longest.

I can't add anything to what would happen out of those hours when the ticket office is closed, other than that I haven't come across this yet, and most children without oyster cards are under 11 travelling with an adult, so don't need tickets..

Status
Not open for further replies.