• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fast trains to London not calling at Clapham Jn in the morning peak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmain

Hi,

I grew up in Brookwood and used to commute into Clapham Junction from my parents house to work. It used to take about 25 mins on a direct train.

I've just been on National Rail because I'm thiinking of moving back out there, but now rush hour journey times are showing up as just over an hour. That's more than double off-peak times?!

Does anyone know why it this is? Is it to do with engineering works or is it a permenant alteration to the routes? I am not sure I can put up with commuting for an hour each way over a distance that should take 1/2 hour.

I don't understand why they would put the slower routes on during rush hour, it doesnt make sense?!

If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated. Just need to know whether it is a permenant change.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
As far as I can see on a weekday, there are no direct trains between 0653 and 0916 (direct trains do still take 25-30 mins). I would suggest a change at Woking may be necessary, there'll be plenty of direct trains from there. It's just a consequence of heaving a very busy (both by way of trains and passengers) morning peak down there, it sometimes isn't possible for all trains to call at Clapham Jn.

sonic2009

Established Member
Welcome to the Forum :)

I don't see any journeys over an hour. I see the lowest being 26 minutes and the highest being 37 minutes to travel from Brookwood, but this is only between 0523 and 0653.

John @ home

Established Member
The volume of traffic is so large that trains are unable to stop on the fast Southwestern lines at Clapham Jn in the peak. This has been the position for many years.

soil

Established Member
To correct #2, peak time travel to Clapham Junction from Woking at peak times is also a problem. Trains run to CLJ from WOK until 7:05, and then not again until 8:43.

In the evening going the other way there's a train at 17:02 from CLJ, a stopping train at 17:29, and 17:59, but otherwise nothing until 18:27. Outside of these times there is regular service to CLJ, although plenty of trains still are fast to WAT.

So basically you've got a period of about an hour-and-a-half in both peaks where there is effectively no service to CLJ. If you are working in Battersea this is rather unfortunate, as doubling back will be expensive so you'll need to change at Surbiton or something. Otherwise however you just need to go to Waterloo and change there for your actual destination.

radamfi

Established Member
The lack of stops at Clapham Junction is one of the reasons I chose not to live on the Waterloo main line. The Brighton Main Line is far more flexible in the ability to go to London Bridge, Victoria or change at Clapham Junction for Waterloo and stations towards Woking and beyond.

Mike99

One of the reasons is that all available paths through Clapham Junction are used in the morning peak so any additional train stopping at Clapham Junction costs a couple of slots therefore less services can operate with the obvious consequences.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
To maximise capacity you have to have a linear schedule, the loop for platform 7 at Clapham has a tight speed restriction and adds 2-3 minutes to a journey, either all trains stop at Clapham or none at all otherwise there would have to be a significant reduction in capacity. Southern have the advantage of not having to deal with such a spped restriction, plus practically all Southern trains stop at Clapham during the off peak wheras SWT operates differently.

Things have been this way since before NSE days.

Status
Not open for further replies.