• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastest Running London Underground Deep Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.crocker355

After spending a day screeching around the Jubilee and Central lines pokehunting (with the kids) it got me wondering

What is the fastest stretch of Deep Line tube? And what is the top speed?

Jc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
After spending a day screeching around the Jubilee and Central lines pokehunting (with the kids) it got me wondering

Jc

The Victoria line always seems pretty fast to me.

Established Member
It's funny because I always get the impression that the Central Line runs faster than any of the others in the deep tunnels, but maybe it's just that its stock makes it feel like that.

The Victoria and Jubilee certainly feel the smoothest to me if not the fastest.

Nothing smooth, or fast, feeling about the Bakerloo or Piccadilly.

Lrd

Established Member
I believe it's the Jubilee that's fastest.

The Central line gets up to 65kph. It may feel faster due to the aggressive driving by the ATO.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Nothing smooth, or fast, feeling about the Bakerloo or Piccadilly.

I think the Piccadilly at least has a lot of things that the route as to go around, can't remember of one of the is the Bank of England vaults (it might be the Northern Line that has to go around that)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's the Central that has to go around the Bank of England Vaults- the Piccadilly goes nowhere near the bank (it heads north out of the West End) and the Northern goes below the Central at Bank.

The Victoria, at least between Green Park and Manor House, is in part an express relief line for the Picadilly. Stations are more widely spaced, so longer running at top speed. Jubilee, in the Extension part, also has big space between stations.

The other deep tubes (the Central is a case in point) have much more frequent stations

notadriver

Established Member
Not on topic but I believe Javelins do over 100 mph between Stratford Intl and St Pancras Intl !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domh245

Established Member
The Victoria line and the Jubilee Line (Extension) both reach 50mph if I remember correctly.

Abpj17

Victoria is very fast - http://londonist.com/2014/05/unexpected-ways-that-the-victoria-line-can-save-you-minutes

Northern line is one that seems to creak a fair bit all the way from King X to London Bridge. It screeches a lot around ?Angel. In the city, the central line and northern line both broadly follow the roads and are quite squished - to the extent that the Northern line swaps sides/runs on top of each other through the city. http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/6157/bank-moorgate provides a lot of detailed history

tsr

Established Member
I would recommend this map for a very detailed look at the positioning of Tube routes and stations: http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-london/

Once you know the approximate linespeeds, line history and a little bit about the rolling stock, combine it with the map and suddenly everything makes a bit more sense. Obviously understanding the whole Underground network is a life's work and you'll never know everything about the system, but I've always found threads like these and resources like that map to work well in tandem.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

Jc

The answer is that it's the Jubilee at present, which reaches 60mph in the tunnels.

Northern and Vic reach 50, albeit rarely on the Northern.

Central is no more than 65kph.

Bakerloo no more than 35 I think.

Picc is technically 45mph, although can exceed this if drover is speeding, for example they can touch 60mph Heathrow T123 to T5.

Mikey C

Established Member
The answer is that it's the Jubilee at present, which reaches 60mph in the tunnels.

Northern and Vic reach 50, albeit rarely on the Northern.

Central is no more than 65kph.

Bakerloo no more than 35 I think.

Picc is technically 45mph, although can exceed this if drover is speeding, for example they can touch 60mph Heathrow T123 to T5.

The Piccadilly Line to me always feels fast when going around the Heathrow loops, after all these are the newest Underground sections other than the Jubilee Line extension.

tranzitjim

Do you need to be in the deep tube sections, or, can we count deep tube trains in the above ground sections too?

How fast would trains get up near Cockfosters and Epping?

keppoch69

On Moderation
The Victoria line always seems pretty fast to me.
I would suggest a wonderful website, VERY similar to this excellent one which is for the whole UK & beyond but: http://districtdavesforum.co.uk
The speciality of those wonderful people IS the London Underground as well as other things.
I know there is some cross pollination between both websites, including staff members employed by London Underground. 1 BIG, Railway family. Bless you all x.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you need to be in the deep tube sections, or, can we count deep tube trains in the above ground sections too?

How fast would trains get up near Cockfosters and Epping?

As stated above, Line speed on the Piccadilly line is 45mph. This includes whether in tunnel or open sections. In certain places lower speed limits are posted.

Lrd

Established Member
The Central line in the open sections has a line speed of 85kph but this used to be 100kph before the Chancery Lane derailment and I believe there is a hope to get it back up to that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.