• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastest trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateOfPlay

Which train goes the fastest on the Tube?

I have no idea, but to guess I would say the Victoria line and Northern Line go the fastest.

But, I bet you are going to tell me they all go the same speed :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I've just googled it and apparently the Central line is fastest, closely followed by Victoria, Jubilee and Metropolitan.

The Victoria line seems faster as it is far more direct. Look at a geographical map between Kings Cross and Green Park for example!

AM9

Veteran Member
I've just googled it and apparently the Central line is fastest, closely followed by Victoria, Jubilee and Metropolitan.

The Victoria line seems faster as it is far more direct. Look at a geographical map between Kings Cross and Green Park for example!

I believe that the Central line's '92 stock are the fastest trains by design, capable of 100kph. Following the Chancery Lane derailment when a motor mounting failed, their maximum operational speed was been reduced to more like 70kph.
The recently replaced 'A60' stock on the Met., introduced around 1960 was indeed also capable of 60mph, but their outdated suspension made that a difficult ride for both passengers and track.
The 'S' stock is geared for much faster acceleration at the expense of reduced top speed, but even on the fast trains, there is little difference in overall journey time.

Domh245

Established Member
I believe that the Central line's '92 stock are the fastest trains by design, capable of 100kph. Following the Chancery Lane derailment when a motor mounting failed, their maximum operational speed was been reduced to more like 70kph.
The recently replaced 'A60' stock on the Met., introduced around 1960 was indeed also capable of 60mph, but their outdated suspension made that a difficult ride for both passengers and track.
The 'S' stock is geared for much faster acceleration at the expense of reduced top speed, but even on the fast trains, there is little difference in overall journey time.

There are stories of A60s hitting 70mph!

The 92TS were 100kph capable, but as you say were downgraded following the Chancery Lane derailment to 80kph (50mph). There is currently a scheme in place (although it may have been dropped recently) to get the trains back up to 100kph, although at that speed, given their build quality, the cabs may well fall off! ;)

The S stock isn't geared for much faster acceleration as such, and it has an official top speed of 100kph, but because of it's newer traction systems, and 100% motored axles, it has a vastly superior acceleration compared to it's predecessors (albeit it is currently restricted in terms of acceleration whilst there are still D stock pootling about with the older signalling. Post SSL resignalling, the performance should be similar to the 2009TS)

The victoria line has a top speed of 80kph, but because of the agressive driving style of it's ATO system, it can feel a lot quicker.

The northern line only goes up to 45mph, and that is at the northern ends of the northern branches, in tunnels it is still 40mph, but there are a few places where speed increases are possible now that the resignalling is complete. Said resignalling has also (similar to the victoria) made the trains seem faster with it's aggressive driving. The sister units on the Jubilee line, with the same ATO system will hit 100kph in parts of the JLE, although it does occasionally sound like the whole train is about to fall apart!

On conventionally signalled lines (bar the metropolitan) the maximum speed is usually 45mph.
On new resignalled lines, trains are usually capable of 100kph (62mph) but are either limited by poor track conditions or badly made trains!

Dstock7080

Established Member
Maximum permitted speed on MET is 60mph, it was 70mph on certain sections.
Maximum permitted speed on District is 45mph.

It's difficult for a current employee to talk about 'experiments' with trains but I certainly 'know' about A Stock going above 70mph, Chalfont-Rickmansworth SB, D Stock getting to around 53mph Elm PK-Dagenham East WB.

In later years C Stock were 'limited' to 40mph by the placing of a notice in the cab.

S Stock will not go above 62mph on the outermost sections of MET, 47mph on outer sections of District or 42mph in tunnel sections due to software restrictions, downhill gradients will add to this.
Acceleration rates in certain sections can be adjusted by the software at stations, so currently S Stock accelerate faster from Baker Street-Aldgate than they did when introduced, similarly reduced on District while D Stock is stil operating. This is done via the station beacons, not driver input, and can be between two stations.

Last edited:

StateOfPlay

Thank you for all the replies.

Fascinating stuff. I wonder if the new crossrail will stick to these limits?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you for all the replies.

Fascinating stuff. I wonder if the new crossrail will stick to these limits?

Crossrail units are to be capable of 90 mph, and probably will run at up to 90 mph on parts of the surface sections, e.g. towards Reading...

notadriver

Established Member
Maximum permitted speed on MET is 60mph, it was 70mph on certain sections.

Maximum permitted speed on District is 45mph.

It's difficult for a current employee to talk about 'experiments' with trains but I certainly 'know' about A Stock going above 70mph, Chalfont-Rickmansworth SB, D Stock getting to around 53mph Elm PK-Dagenham East WB.

In later years C Stock were 'limited' to 40mph by the placing of a notice in the cab.

S Stock will not go above 62mph on the outermost sections of MET, 47mph on outer sections of District or 42mph in tunnel sections due to software restrictions, downhill gradients will add to this.

Acceleration rates in certain sections can be adjusted by the software at stations, so currently S Stock accelerate faster from Baker Street-Aldgate than they did when introduced, similarly reduced on District while D Stock is stil operating. This is done via the station beacons, not driver input, and can be between two stations.

It's amazing how control is taken away from the driver by using the computers to cap acceleration rates.

Central line 1992ts trains are now limited to 85 kph (53 mph). Maybe when they are remotored with AC equipment this might change.

I had a official cab ride in the Northern line have 50 mph was attained on a few sections - one which was on an uphill stretch - very impressive. One observation I did make was the ATO adopted a very gentle braking profile on the surface sections and I felt a manual driver could make up time on those sections.

With S Stock seemingly calling at all stations except in peaks maybe top speed isn't important ?

455driver

Veteran Member
Yes, the driver and Duty Manager on board were sent to a disciplinary Interview after this alleged infringement. (A Stock speedos are not marked beyond 60mph)

And those two threads are the reason most drivers will stay well under the speed limits when working veg expresses (or refuse point blank to work them), there are some people who are simply too quick to tell the world about the train going 1mph over the limit instead of just enjoying it and keeping quiet.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
What is the speed on the DLR?

The DLR stock units have a maximum speed of 100 km/h (62 mph), but the fastest speed reached is 80 km/h (50 mph) in the tunnel under the River Thames to Woolwich Arsenal station. that being said, I did once clock train 32 doing a mite over that about a year ago when in manual mode

Nym

Established Member
It's amazing how control is taken away from the driver by using the computers to cap acceleration rates.

Central line 1992ts trains are now limited to 85 kph (53 mph). Maybe when they are remotored with AC equipment this might change.

With S Stock seemingly calling at all stations except in peaks maybe top speed isn't important ?

If the 1992TS gets re-tractioned to AC.

There's nothing stopping 100km/h operation with the DC motors either.

Nym

Established Member
Without going into too much detail that I'm not that aware of and am trying to avoid.

There is a long list of things stopping 100km/h operation, one of them is vibration, but the design is the same as when they where new, if not improved with the new gearboxes a couple of other running gear issues.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I find that the old Mteropolitan line stock was soo slow, often pulling my hair out from Uxbridge into London!

Mikey C

Established Member
I used to love the A stock before it got slowed down in its later years! The fast section from Finchley Road to HarrowOTH used to generate a most pleasant bouncing motion...

notadriver

Established Member
The DLR stock units have a maximum speed of 100 km/h (62 mph), but the fastest speed reached is 80 km/h (50 mph) in the tunnel under the River Thames to Woolwich Arsenal station. that being said, I did once clock train 32 doing a mite over that about a year ago when in manual mode

I thought they were only ever designed for 80 kph as thats the top speed of the line and they don't reach that often.

34D

Established Member
And those two threads are the reason most drivers will stay well under the speed limits when working veg expresses (or refuse point blank to work them), there are some people who are simply too quick to tell the world about the train going 1mph over the limit instead of just enjoying it and keeping quiet.

Yes. It really is shocking how some of the vegetables bite the hand that feeds them.

Status
Not open for further replies.