• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatalities Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint66

LM now have ticket acceptance with Thameslink, Chiltern, VT etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No trains stopping at Watford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Trains are running on both of the Slow lines through Watford Junction; the Fasts remain blocked, including by the train involved (which appears to be 1H20 1100 London Euston-Manchester Piccadilly).

455driver

Veteran Member
Oh she won't.

The (usually reliable) grapevine has it on good authority that this was an elderly lady who had a list of things she wanted to do before she died, one of which was to experience the 'thrill' of lying on the track while a train went over her.

It will be interesting to see what the 'authorities' do.

So it seems that the post by 455driver may not have been so misplaced!

Seriously!
Good God above! :shock:

ItchyRsole Quote:
Originally Posted by 455driver
She should be sent the bill for the delays she caused!

What a lovely person you are.
Yeah I know! ;)
I wonder what people would think if they themselves ended up thousands of pounds out of pocket because of somebody elses actions with no chance of recourse?
Oh yeah I ended up losing £3,500 because of some bas+++d so do have first hand experince of it!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I suppose if there's anything positive that one can say it's that we've had quite a while with no/few other fatalities reported. Long may it continue.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Seriously!
Good God above! :shock:

Hoverspeed had similar issues with people lying on Calais beach to experience an SRN4 pass over them.

Quite safe actually*, unless the Captain had an emergency and had to set the craft down where the person was. Crews were instructed to watch out for such people and to report them, but I'm sure quite a lot of people tried it. ( Before anyone asks, no I didn't try it. )

Of course, I must stress that a large hovercraft with several feet of hoverheight is one thing and a train is another thing altogether.

*caveat - lots of sand particles swirling around and if the craft was moving quite fast the "fingers" on the edge of the rubber skirt would give quite a wallop.

Zoidberg

Established Member
A fatality - person hit by a train at Watford Junction, according to what I read on Twitter and the NRE website.

Last edited:

alexjames

Some problem between Watford Junction and CMK as per the announcement on the 10.37 off WJ to New Street that I was on. WCML apparently closed thereafter for a while. Service I was on eventually terminated late at Birmingham Airport and was then taken out of use. It was a horrible little 5 car diesel affair and either expired from self loathing or perhaps it ran over somebody. We were not told.

Made a few of us late for Arsenal's glorious victory over WBA.

Jordy

Established Member
Fatality at Cricklewood and WCML delays (29 November) have been merged into this thread as they are both discussing fatalities.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Fatality at Cricklewood and WCML delays (29 November) have been merged into this thread as they are both discussing fatalities.

Not strictly true, as Cricklewood wasn't a fatality, or even an attempt.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A person has been reported as being struck by a train at Westbrook Lane crossing, Collingham.

Trains between Lincoln and Newark are currently disrupted.

Thoughts with those involved.

dcd

a person has been hit by a train near Reading West 10:46 1/12/2014
Oh she won't.

The (usually reliable) grapevine has it on good authority that this was an elderly lady who had a list of things she wanted to do before she died, one of which was to experience the 'thrill' of lying on the track while a train went over her.

It will be interesting to see what the 'authorities' do.

So it seems that the post by 455driver may not have been so misplaced!
On More4's "The World's Most Extreme: Railways" on 29/11/2014 about 1' 15" in they show lots of people trying this in Columbia maybe that's where she got the idea.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Apparently a man stepped off the platform straight in front of 4O14 05:58 Basford Hall - Southampton MCT.

Last edited:

wensley

Established Member
Another incident on LNE ... 2S26 has struck a person at Rauceby LC.

Once again, thoughts with the Driver and all involved. Not a good day at all.

trainophile

Established Member
A person has been hit by a train at New Brighton. Because of this, trains are unable to run between Birkenhead North and New Brighton and a replacement bus service will operate. There is no firm estimate yet of how long disruption will last but it is likely to continue until at least 23:00.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/88150.aspx
Following a person having been hit by a train between Morpeth and Berwick-upon-Tweed, passengers are being delayed by up to 60 minutes between Newcastle and Edinburgh via Morpeth.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-i...isruption-id=0A10A6661F394DCCB9467286A9845C21

Probably coming into the worst time of year for despair now :( .

TDK

Established Member
A person has been hit by a train at New Brighton. Because of this, trains are unable to run between Birkenhead North and New Brighton and a replacement bus service will operate. There is no firm estimate yet of how long disruption will last but it is likely to continue until at least 23:00.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/88150.aspx
Following a person having been hit by a train between Morpeth and Berwick-upon-Tweed, passengers are being delayed by up to 60 minutes between Newcastle and Edinburgh via Morpeth.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-i...isruption-id=0A10A6661F394DCCB9467286A9845C21

Probably coming into the worst time of year for despair now :( .

Between Christmas and 5 Jan I think is statistically the highest rate I remember over 20 in 3 days a few years back

rmt4ever

trainophile

Established Member
Person under a train ('PUT') near London Marylebone tonight just before 18:00 :( . All Chiltern services affected.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/88669.aspx

Thanks to whoever corrected the terminology for me. I only originally put "p h b t" because that's what it said in the National Rail disruption report.

Is PUT the only acceptable abbreviation for these sad and tragic events? I wonder whether occasionally a person is struck but 'bounces off' rather than ending up under the train? Sorry to be graphic, but I'd like to establish whether PUT is the only term to be used.

(Obviously I hope it won't be necessary to use any term more often then once in a blue moon.)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Thanks to whoever corrected the terminology for me. I only originally put "p h b t" because that's what it said in the National Rail disruption report.

Is PUT the only acceptable abbreviation for these sad and tragic events? I wonder whether occasionally a person is struck but 'bounces off' rather than ending up under the train? Sorry to be graphic, but I'd like to establish whether PUT is the only term to be used.

(Obviously I hope it won't be necessary to use any term more often then once in a blue moon.)

Any term is fine. I'm not sure why someone would edit your post from one to the other, it seems utterly pointless given that it's perfectly obvious what it means, and if not, it's probably simpler to write it out in full.

455driver

Veteran Member
PUT (edit to put P H B T which is what I originally wrote) can be more accurate than PUT, sometimes the body will bounce off the front and go to the side of the train rather than under it!

That started with P H B T but it changed straight awat to PUT, why?
Any term is fine. I'm not sure why someone would edit your post from one to the other, it seems utterly pointless given that it's perfectly obvious what it means, and if not, it's probably simpler to write it out in full.

The forum does it, try posting P H B T without the spaces and see what happens!

Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
I only ever went to one fatality where the bulk of the person literally ended up under the train. I went to one where the poor sod ended up on a public road about 15 metres away, 10 metres below the railway.

Not that it makes much difference, but I'd imagine P H B T would better describe most situations where the actual circumstances are unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.