• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatality between London Paddington and Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Time reported19:08

TOC(s) affected First Great Western, First Great Western Link, Heathrow Connect, Heathrow Express

Route affectedLondon Paddington - Hayes and Harlington - Reading - Newbury - Bristol - Plymouth - Penzance also London Paddington - Reading - Didcot Parkway - Oxford/Heathrow

Description Train services are being disrupted between London Paddington and Reading due to a fatality at Hayes and Harlington. Short notice alterations,cancellations and delays of up to 60 minutes can be expected. The estimated time for a normal train service to resume is 2-3 hours

anyone know anything else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I think I just saw something about it with a HC train hitting someone...

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Coxster said:
Why do we need to be told about each incident?

So that people are aware of delays occuring and the reasons for them...

If you don't want to read about each incident, don't click on the thread, after all, the title is pretty self explanatry.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's what, the third or fourth one on the GWML this summer so far.

What's going on? Things aren't that bad surely?

If this is the summer lot, what will it be like in the winter? :shock:

jonb

Established Member
I was talking to a 'One' Driver and they were averaging a Fatality at Brentwood every two weeks.... :shock:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
serve people right for being on the railway in places they shouldn't be in most cases! I can only feel for the staff and crew of the train's. If I were a driver it would pretty freak me out hitting someone.

Coxster

Established Member
HSTfan!!! said:
serve people right for being on the railway in places they shouldn't be
A lot of it is people wanting to die and see trains as the ultimate killer.

Dave A

Coxster said:
HSTfan!!! said:

And a lot of stupid kids who think real trains are as harmless as the scale model trains or that a HST can brake in 5 seconds at 125mph :roll: :roll:

*Start rant*

I don't blame the TOC's. Everytime I hear of a "one under" on the LU I think, "great, more delays :roll: ", especially if I'm on a train behind it :x I have no feelings for the ones who do it on purpose or are where they shouldn't be <(

*End rant* (That felt good ;) )

London Tube said:
Coxster said:
HSTfan!!! said:

And a lot of stupid kids who think real trains are as harmless as the scale model trains or that a HST can brake in 5 seconds at 125mph :roll: :roll:

*Start rant*

I don't blame the TOC's. Everytime I hear of a "one under" on the LU I think, "great, more delays :roll: ", especially if I'm on a train behind it :x I have no feelings for the ones who do it on purpose or are where they shouldn't be <(

mate, that's pretty heartless saying that about suicides. you don't even know what happened in that persons life, half the time it's half other people who make them do it.

Ben

DescendingSadly said:
London Tube said:
Coxster said:
HSTfan!!! said:

*Start rant*

mate, that's pretty heartless saying that about suicides. you don't even know what happened in that persons life, half the time it's half other people who make them do it.

its heartless how the people who do jump dont think about the driver of that train

Dave A

I agree with you 158. There are helplines and places for people who are suicidal or depressed etc, and TBH if they have to kill themselves, do it where it doesn't interfere with other people. I'm sure a train is one of hundreads of dangerous, life-threatning things in the country. :roll:

It just sickens me to here that someone has killed themselves by falling under a train. The poor drivers, I'm sure that "thump" and final "scream" is a lovely sound to hear, oh and of course the fact that they might not know its was the person's own-doing and not an accident by the driver. :( :roll:

So many thoughts, feelings, emotions going around you, all in a few seconds, that leads to a permanent scar in a lot of people. Did you know, when someone kills themselves under a moving train, some times, 2 lives are lost on that day :( :x :!:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very good point there London Tube. If it happened to me when I was driving, it would make me want to quit it. To feel like you terminated a person, no, that would not be nice.

TBH, though, when I hear of a fatality now at the platforms, it's almost a common occurance, and I end up trying to roll my eyes.

I believe this post could be called 'having your cake and eating it too'.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
tbh If I were a driver and one day I do hope to be, I would be affected but I don't think it would make me want to quit, why leave the career you've put so much work to get to as of some person who wants to jump. It affects you, but its your job, you just have to get on with it, personally I'd feel as soon as I get into the cab and move off - I'd know there is the possibility it could happen - it's part of the job at the end of the day, you've got to move on and do your job.

Guinness

Established Member
HSTfan!!! said:
tbh If I were a driver and one day I do hope to be, I would be affected but I don't think it would make me want to quit, why leave the career you've put so much work to get to as of some person who wants to jump. It affects you, but its your job, you just have to get on with it, personally I'd feel as soon as I get into the cab and move off - I'd know there is the possibility it could happen - it's part of the job at the end of the day, you've got to move on and do your job.

Some people can be effected differently to death etc.

I would be the same as you though Alun.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I did it would WANT to make me quit. I gather I'd have the support from co-workers, bosses, family and friends to ensure this was not done. Of course, after months of work to get there, I doubt I'd want to hang my keys up just like that.

It's a bit like at work now, I've worked hard to become as trained and quick at my work, I've not going to just hang my grippers back up on the rack just like that.

Anyway, my point is the shock and horror of the incident would scare the living daylights out of me. Dunno how we'd get the service moving again then, I might continue onwards, depends on the severity of what's happened, blah blah blah, but I'd be keeping my eyes looking out for people near tunnel entrances, exits and bridges, if necessary perhaps a blast of a horn too.

London Tube said:
I agree with you 158. There are helplines and places for people who are suicidal or depressed etc, and TBH if they have to kill themselves, do it where it doesn't interfere with other people. I'm sure a train is one of hundreads of dangerous, life-threatning things in the country. :roll:

It just sickens me to here that someone has killed themselves by falling under a train. The poor drivers, I'm sure that "thump" and final "scream" is a lovely sound to hear, oh and of course the fact that they might not know its was the person's own-doing and not an accident by the driver. :( :roll:

So many thoughts, feelings, emotions going around you, all in a few seconds, that leads to a permanent scar in a lot of people. Did you know, when someone kills themselves under a moving train, some times, 2 lives are lost on that day :( :x :!:
what aload of bollocks!

do you really think people who are suicidal are really going to listen to someone over a phone? for all you know all their family could of died and they just want to see them again because they are so sad.

You should stop listening to the silly TV and newspapers and realise that the people who do jump under trains arn't chavs and don't plan to harm people, they just want everything to end.

It's silly sods like you lot that makes this world so cold and bitter.

the next time you think of more delays maybe stop being so self obsessed and think further than your own problem.

you can ban me or whatever for this message or whatever but it's true. and one day one of you will realise, life is alot more than trains.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Maybe it's the person committing suicide being the selfish one. After all, they don't have to deal with the after effects do they

Harsh, but worth thinking about

Marv said:
Maybe it's the person committing suicide being the selfish one. After all, they don't have to deal with the after effects do they

And the people around them never offered help to them did they? it's ok to let other people help them, but when would we give a toss what they feel?

this world is so wrapped up in itself we can't even help one another.

Dave A

DescendingSadly, In an earlier post, you said:
do you really think people who are suicidal are really going to listen to someone over a phone? for all you know all their family could of died and they just want to see them again because they are so sad.

How do you know these ways don't work? If they didn't work, why would they exsist? I don't understand what you mean when you say, "want to see them again", but someone is always dieing in the world and usually there is someone grieving for them, but, the people grieving don't commit suicide. Like most people, they get on with there lives.

You should stop listening to the silly TV and newspapers and realise that the people who do jump under trains arn't chavs and don't plan to harm people, they just want everything to end.
How do you know who these people are? They could be mass murderers, chavs, me, you or anyone else in this world. I don't have a problem with them "wanting everything to end", but I'm sure there are many more ways they could do it, that doesn't affect other people :roll:

It's silly sods like you lot that makes this world so cold and bitter. the next time you think of more delays maybe stop being so self obsessed and think further than your own problem.

Sorry, I don't really care about these people. They don't care about me. Think about this. If I had a family that needed to be fed, clothed and looked after on my wages which I get from working. Now suppose I have to get to work via the train services. Again, suppose I was late for work, once every 2 weeks, and got fired from my job for that reason, all because of someone who has had enough of their own life and feels the best way to do it, is to inconvinience other peoples lives by jumping under the train I was on. Does that make it fair? A family suffers at the expense of a few idiots who don't even try to get help or think about who they could be hurting! I'm sure in most peoples views, it doesn't!

Ben

Marv said:

not harsh - true

if your going to kill yourself do it in a way thats not going to wreck someone elses life

jumping under a train is selfish

Saying that, half of you would cry if the train got the smallest dint, maybe the outside world doesn't apply to you.

158 said:
Marv said:

not harsh - true

if your going to kill yourself do it in a way thats not going to wreck someone elses life

jumping under a train is selfish
so is polluting the world for the next generations.

TheSlash

Established Member
So you've all been to a fatal one under, you've seen the body parts wrapped round the underframe, the personnal possessions scattered around the line, you've seen the driver who had a front row seat of it all.
You've been back to the depot and smelt the smell as you entered the shed, you've been there as someone has carefully removed every piece of flesh, hair, bone and clothing from the unit{s} involved. You've removed the damaged parts of the train, damaged by several stone of person hitting it at speed, you've put the replacement parts on the train whilst smelling dead body and dis infectant at the sametime. You've done the full function brake test on the unit{s} involved. Worst of all, you've gone home and remembered it all again, the smells especially

Its not all tears and sympathy for the person who jumped under the train

jd

My opinion is that throwing yourself under a train is a very selfish way to commit suicide. You cause terrible grief for the driver, passengers, and people on the platform who see it happen, as well as cause delays for everyone else trying to get places. If you want to kill yourself, do it quietly without bothering others.

Tom B

Established Member
How much control does an individual have over pollution?

jd

What's that got to do with anything? Depends though really. Tony Blair and George Bush have quite a lot of power. You and I probably don't. If the whole world agreed, then everyone would have tremendous power when joined together to work for the common good.

jdan said:
My opinion is that throwing yourself under a train is a very selfish way to commit suicide. You cause terrible grief for the driver, passengers, and people on the platform who see it happen, as well as cause delays for everyone else trying to get places. If you want to kill yourself, do it quietly without bothering others.
Maybe so, maybe it is selfish. But did hear the story of the woman who was meant to meet her husband at 11:00 at a tube station to go shopping, the next thing she's under a train?

I've tried to commit suicide myself and you don't care what happens , you just want it to end regardless of what does it to you.

I suppose people who are pushed under trains are selfish too?

It's ok to like trains, but butt-licking them and thinking the world is stable by trains you are very very wrong, trains are not the best thing in the world, love is.

And these people who die don't have that love

Status
Not open for further replies.