• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatality Keynsham 27/04/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
An appallingly insensitive end to your musings. You have no concept of the subject to which you refer ..... others on here are likely to have had first hand experience or know of such tragedies. To those of you, you have my sympathies.

I don't see what's insensitive about it, it was a statement of fact. It would certainly be of interest to people who find their train is shorter than normal as a result of the incident.

Life goes on, we don't need people trying to score points against each other after these sorts of incidents.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It wasn't a close call for the driver, it seems (from messages received) that he has suffered some significant injuries, stressing messages I have received.

Hope he recovers well and in a timely manner - sounds like a nightmare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As the OP of the thread I have noted that there has been much discussion on the sensitivity of the thread. I tried to report the facts but must admit I could have been more tactful in the description of events. I should, however, like to apologise for my wording in view of the fact that a number of people were not happy with my comments. I hope that my apologies will be accepted but it was posted as it was out of all innocence and with no intention of upsetting anybody through my thoughtlessness.
After just reading a recent post, I did not realise the driver had been so badly injured so would like to place my best wishes for him and that he makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Elecman

Established Member
Very near miss for the driver. there are pictures on facebook of the affected train 158959 completely took out wind screen and hit all the panels on the back wall! Very close call for the driver

One sincerely hopes that someone has reported these pics to Facebook for them to be removed as in very poor taste

Antman

Established Member
As the OP of the thread I have noted that there has been much discussion on the sensitivity of the thread. I tried to report the facts but must admit I could have been more tactful in the description of events. I should, however, like to apologise for my wording in view of the fact that a number of people were not happy with my comments. I hope that my apologies will be accepted but it was posted as it was out of all innocence and with no intention of upsetting anybody through my thoughtlessness.
After just reading a recent post, I did not realise the driver had been so badly injured so would like to place my best wishes for him and that he makes a full recovery from his injuries.

I really don't think you have anything to apologise for, you just reported what happened. Obviously we would all rather these awful incidents weren't happening but.....................
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One sincerely hopes that someone has reported these pics to Facebook for them to be removed as in very poor taste

Well I've not seen the photos but if they are just of the damaged train then why should they be removed? I don't wish to sound insensitive but a lot of the news on our TV screens is shocking.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How awful for those involved (directly or indirectly).

I appreciate this is a sensitive subject for many people, but we are not going to censor these sorts of posts without very good reason, and therefore I would strongly advise anyone who prefers to avoid discussions on fatalities to avoid clicking on any such threads.

If anyone has any concerns about any post, for example if you think there are details posted which shouldn't be, please alert us to it, by reporting (
report.gif
) it and we will consider your concerns, instead of posting those concerns in the thread.

Please, no more bickering and keep the discussion respectful.

455driver

Veteran Member

Why?
It's a damaged train that's all, how it got damaged doesn't really matter, that may sound harsh but it isn't meant to be, I am fascinated by damage of any description and how the structure has reacted to the impact, what hit it I am less interested in.

Signed 455driver who has been involved in 2 fatalities.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Having seen the photos on FB there is nothing in them that is in poor taste.
They show a clean but damaged unit.

BestWestern

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I will stay clear of such threads in future and hopefully you won't get so terribly, terribly upset by opinions that differ from yours. It's an interesting idea you've come up with - if you think something is wrong ignore it - perhaps the moderators will try that and it can just be a free for all.

How deeply ironic!

Have a look at Yorkie's post above, the moderators would seem to agree with the rather obvious common sense approach of not reading a thread if it is highly likely that you will be offended by it.

Grow up chap.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
How deeply ironic!

Have a look at Yorkie's post above, the moderators would seem to agree with the rather obvious common sense approach of not reading a thread if it is highly likely that you will be offended by it.

Grow up chap.

I wasn't offended but considered that some might be and anyway how can you know if a thread is going to be offensive without reading it, I've never before seen a fatalities thread that has had such detail.

Regarding Yorkie's post I wonder if this forum rule applies:

Please ensure your contributions are suitable for the wide age range we have as forum members. We have a duty to ensure that offensive material has no place on this forum, and that content remains family friendly.

I'm glad you enjoyed the irony.

Finally, at my age if I grew up any more I'd be dead.

carriageline

Established Member
I must admit the detail was a little much, but not enough for me to post and complain about it!

Things like that don't normally bother me, I like horror films etc. But I'm one of the people that that driver rings for the 'initial call', so we have to deal with it, just nowhere near the same level as a driver.

When I had my first one, it didn't really affect me too much. That's until the controller rang up, and then proceeded to tell me every really gory detail about the incident, which I politely told him I would rather not hear. And that was pretty much when it hit home, and it became 'real' what had happened.

All I'm saying is, to the layman abit of gossip is good, but to the people who were directly involved but haven't seen it, sometimes we don't want to know what happened.

I don't want the information to stop, or to censor anything. Just giving a side to the story, keep it coming! If it informs the masses then it has a purpose. Thanks for the thread regardless!

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
Sounds quite a horrible incident for the driver to be involved in. My thoughts are with them at this time and hopefully they make a full recovery from their injuries.

FWIW, the first post isnt bad at all, it really isnt that detailed. I have witnessed/been involved in 2 incidents now, neither of which were pleasant to witness or see the aftermath of - that is the sort of details that wont be posted here.

If anything, it shows how much in the firing line drivers are in incidents like this and what can actually happen.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I wasn't offended but considered that some might be and anyway how can you know if a thread is going to be offensive without reading it, I've never before seen a fatalities thread that has had such detail.

Please ensure your contributions are suitable for the wide age range we have as forum members. We have a duty to ensure that offensive material has no place on this forum, and that content remains family friendly.

I, for one, have tried hard to see just what it is that concerns you, but have failed. The posts have not gone into any detail that might, as you say, upset a 'family friendly' audience and, as others have said, the subject is clearly titled so you can hardly have been surprised at the facts contained.

As far as I can see, 'Best Western' has conveyed the views of many others.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I will stay clear of such threads in future and hopefully you won't get so terribly, terribly upset by opinions that differ from yours. It's an interesting idea you've come up with - if you think something is wrong ignore it - perhaps the moderators will try that and it can just be a free for all.

My posts quoted above.

Right lets have some facts:

1. I wasn't offended by the post, merely surprised.
2. My first post on this thread (deleted because it referred to a deleted post) was in defence of a established member who did think there was too much detail (that post also deleted) because another poster had accused them of being unfit to be a member of the forum (post deleted).
3. Subsequent posts were in fact objecting to the implication that there should be no-go threads where anything goes.
4. How can a title of 3 or 4 words tell anyone the entire contents of a thread?
5. I repeat, I wasn't offended.

BestWestern

Established Member
My posts quoted above.

Right lets have some facts:

1. I wasn't offended by the post, merely surprised.
2. My first post on this thread (deleted because it referred to a deleted post) was in defence of a established member who did think there was too much detail (that post also deleted) because another poster had accused them of being unfit to be a member of the forum (post deleted).
3. Subsequent posts were in fact objecting to the implication that there should be no-go threads where anything goes.
4. How can a title of 3 or 4 words tell anyone the entire contents of a thread?
5. I repeat, I wasn't offended.

Well it's too damn late now sir, the Outrage Bus is here and we're all aboard... Hell, I'm driving ;)

Fair enough, it was a grotty incident all round and I reckon the details and discussion have been pretty much exhausted now.

I just hope we can have a weekend without any more, it'd be rather refreshing. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.