• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatalties on the Great Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member

DJRiley28

I hear more about the G.E ones to be honest

I reckon both of these routes need a major safety review before the whole Crossrail route starts

TheEdge

Established Member

I reckon both of these routes need a major safety review before the whole Crossrail route starts

To achieve what? HS1 is the most modern and protected lengths of railway in the UK yet we have still seen incidents where someone desperate enough has found their way in front of a train. Nothing can be done to stop them that isn't already being tried honestly.

dk1

Veteran Member

There is very little that can be done. CrossRail or no CrossRail, it's just one of those things unfortunately.

lordbusiness

High population density closer to London, relatively high levels of social deprivation and the problems it brings, proximity of hospitals dealing with MH issues.
Further out, large number of foot and road crossings giving easy access to the line.

Sad I'm afraid but that's how it is.

JW16

Short of having staff patrol the fast platforms, I don't think there is much more that can be done.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Cancel all trains?

Perhaps Southern should be commended for its recent efforts to reduce fatalities.

LeeLivery

Established Member

They spent loads of money on the fast platform fencing and it (predictably) hasn't stopped it. All its done is probably make the stations like Romford, Milton Keynes and St Albans hotspots. People could jump off a bridge (I've been on a train at Shortlands where that happened) or ignore the medley crossing warnings. There is nothing really NR can do to stop it. Its down to government to improve mental health and to get to the route cause of the problems which make people want to commit suicide, especially in such a horrific way. I do like the samaritans posters, they probably have made some think twice. Fencing/platform edge doors only really stop accidental falling or worse, intentional pushing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There have been quite a few reports in the media (the Guardian, Telegraph, Evening Standard etc) about high suicides unfortunately among women from a Indian/Asian background along the GWML. Ealing, Southall and Slough have large Indian populations. Anyone who knows the east of London, knows Stratford to Chadwell Heath also high Asian populations. Whether the same suicide problem is relevant here I don't know. Hopefully its not.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Realistically there is nothing that can be done, installing fencing at suicide hotspots will only drive people elsewhere.

More spending on mental health may help, but how long is a piece of string?

tsr

Established Member
Cancel all trains?

Perhaps Southern should be commended for its recent efforts to reduce fatalities.

I'm not sure if your two statements are linked, though I assume they are. I do understand your point ;) but flippancy aside, Southern have made good steps to reducing suicide on their network, as broadly speaking it still has a high number of express trains but now a much more scattered and random rate of suicides as opposed to various hotspots (a couple of very specific stations aside, in the case of longer term analysis).

Although I can say from experience that every mental healthcare emergency will have its nuances and variations, there has been a huge amount of signage, fencing and lighting installed which does seem to have provided a mental block against suicide for some people, and there have recently been trials of various technological means of spotting people in distress. In addition, staff alerts for vulnerable people and overall awareness is pretty good, and there is a new internal hotline being rolled out for advice on assisting suicidal people on the railway. All this has joined together to provide a lot of resilient contingency planning which has really helped provide an anti-suicide culture and I do feel that it's worked. Of all the things Southern could be criticised for, this is not one of them.

Established Member
Short of having staff patrol the fast platforms, I don't think there is much more that can be done.

Since the transfer of the Liverpool St - Shenfield metro service to TfL, all the stations between Liverpool St and Shenfield are now staffed during passenger service operating hours.

There has indeed been occasional instances of these staff identifying people intent on taking their own lives, and persuading them otherwise.

Class 170101

Established Member
Looking at Realtime Trains I am not even sure the train actually got to Romford anyway.

PeterC

Established Member
Prior to "Care in the Community" there were major assylums at Brentwood and Goodmayes. I think that there is still a major mental health unit at Goodmayes.

Antman

Established Member
Prior to "Care in the Community" there were major assylums at Brentwood and Goodmayes. I think that there is still a major mental health unit at Goodmayes.

There is indeed, Frank Bruno was there a few years ago.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looking at Realtime Trains I am not even sure the train actually got to Romford anyway.

After relief driver arrived & given the all clear, it was moved to Shenfield where the 350 passengers where transferred to the late running & hideously crowded 19:30 Lst-Nrw.

JW16

What then happens to the incident train, after it is stabled in the platform at Shenfield (presumably platform 5)? Are there any instances where, if the incident train is undamaged, it is allowed to continue to its destination?

dk1

Veteran Member
What then happens to the incident train, after it is stabled in the platform at Shenfield (presumably platform 5)? Are there any instances where, if the incident train is undamaged, it is allowed to continue to its destination?

Just gets sent to its nearest or most appropriate depot to be corrected and cleaned of body parts/fluids etc.

ComUtoR

Established Member

It would still need an examination, cleanup, download and incident testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.