• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Father who bought first-class ticket fined £484 - for getting on the wrong train

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
Perhaps wider use of the Blackpool North system of not letting anyone on to a platform until a set (and generally rather limited) time before departure might work.

Aberdeen operates a variation of that system. Seats are provided on the southbound platforms and passengers can pass through the barriers and head towards them when a Platform is advertised but, as soon as they attempt to sit down, they are accosted by a staff member who demands that they return to the concourse (where there are not enough seats) because "the train is not ready". After milling around on the concourse for a while, the passengers are called forward only to find their tickets are now rejected due to "passback". The staff then open the gates to let them through .... the pièce de résistance is that at no time is an Advance ticket checked to ascertain which train it is for.

Surely such a superb system warrants a wider roll out !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Impossible in the case of CCST tickets as there is no spare capacity on the magnetic strip for such coding. In any event, it would require a rework of barrier software as well and would raise many questions about how it could be reasonably enforced and communicated. Perhaps wider use of the Blackpool North system of not letting anyone on to a platform until a set (and generally rather limited) time before departure might work. However, I am not seriously proposing that.

Which is, or was until the recent rejig (not been there since), exactly what VT do for WCML departures at Lime St.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Aberdeen operates a variation of that system. Seats are provided on the southbound platforms and passengers can pass through the barriers and head towards them when a Platform is advertised but, as soon as they attempt to sit down, they are accosted by a staff member who demands that they return to the concourse (where there are not enough seats) because "the train is not ready". After milling around on the concourse for a while, the passengers are called forward only to find their tickets are now rejected due to "passback". The staff then open the gates to let them through .... the pièce de résistance is that at no time is an Advance ticket checked to ascertain which train it is for.

Surely such a superb system warrants a wider roll out !

At Inverness you used to be able to queue for a train, now with the barriers you can't. If there was a station that didn't need barriers (because manual checks worked better) it was there.

najaB

Veteran Member
At Inverness you used to be able to queue for a train, now with the barriers you can't. If there was a station that didn't need barriers (because manual checks worked better) it was there.
To be fair, the barriers are more about smartcard season tickets. They could have gone with validators but there wasn't really an obvious place for them to go.

6Gman

Established Member
Perhaps examination of tickets and enforcement of restrictions at the barrier would assist in sorting the deliberate (who will find a way through) from the accidental.

Indeed, but when the barrier opens 15 minutes before departure and there's a queue of 300 people waiting to board a detailed examination of each ticket may not be practical.

sefton

Indeed, but when the barrier opens 15 minutes before departure and there's a queue of 300 people waiting to board a detailed examination of each ticket may not be practical.

A trivial issue to solve with technology if the train companies actually had the will to solve the problem and the intelligence to cooperate with each other.

87 027

In my experience, IT implementations are rarely "trivial" and I suspect a sound business case and funding are important ingredients as well as will and intelligence :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A trivial issue to solve with technology if the train companies actually had the will to solve the problem and the intelligence to cooperate with each other.

This trivial issue would, at the very least, require all the barrier systems to be replaced, along with upgrading all ticket issuing systems to a new standard.

6Gman

Established Member

I find there is a touching faith in technology on this Forum.

:D

sheff1

Established Member
The technology is fine. It's the half-baked implementation of it on the railway that's the problem.

Quite. The technology alluded to by sefton is well proven and has been in use for years on the railways of various other countries.

Wolfie

Established Member
Which is of next to zero import - the passenger needs to provide evidence that they were actually given permission, not that it is a possibility.

Yes, verbal permission is acceptable. However the onus is still on the passenger to provide positive proof that they were given permission. If not, every passenger would simply say "A man on the platform told me I could."
I agree. Congratulations, you have just highlighted why at some point, likely in the not too distant future, the pressure for legislative change will be too hard for the Govt to resist! In the short term TOCs will continue to cave to avoid such an event which would be catastrophic for their half-assed penny-pinching business models....

Wolfie

Established Member
I'm not sure you do. What meaning are you attributing to the word?
I suspect (and for the record I am not saying that I agree) that sefton is referring to some of the TU-related postings on other threads.

sefton

The solution is trivial if anyone actually wanted to do it.

However a combination of short term contracts for the train companies, with infighting and no cooperation, combined with a Luddite* attitude from staff means there is no desire for it to happen.

Far easier to blame the customer and charge them substantial sums of money if there is a dispute.

*Luddite - a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woollen mills, which they believed was threatening their jobs.

6Gman

Established Member

However a combination of short term contracts for the train companies, with infighting and no cooperation, combined with a Luddite* attitude from staff means there is no desire for it to happen.

Far easier to blame the customer and charge them substantial sums of money if there is a dispute.

*Luddite - a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woollen mills, which they believed was threatening their jobs.

Still don't see how it prevents people getting on a different train from the one their Advance Ticket applies to.

Talk us through it ...

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I still don't see what's trivial about changing every ticket issuing system and barrier in the country.

Ah, so not the original meaning. Luddites were complaining that the introduction of new machines being used as an excuse to worsen their pay and conditions. They had no problem with improved technology per se.

Clip

Established Member
Ah, so not the original meaning. Luddites were complaining that the introduction of new machines being used as an excuse to worsen their pay and conditions. They had no problem with improved technology per se.

Quite, though its rather a pedantic point to argue the toss over when most people who knowingly think it would be about the introduction of technology nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:

sefton

I still don't see what's trivial about changing every ticket issuing system and barrier in the country.

Trivial if you have the correct mindset, unlike train companies where everything is deemed 'too difficult'.

najaB

Veteran Member
Trivial if you have the correct mindset, unlike train companies where everything is deemed 'too difficult'.
Tell you what, you provide the £100M or so that this would take and I'm sure the TOCs will do it happily.

sefton

Tell you what, you provide the £100M or so that this would take and I'm sure the TOCs will do it happily.

This sort of comment is exactly what I mean.

Instead of taking the 'it is too hard' approach, how about accepting that a 1970's system is past its sell by date and delivering something suitable for today.

After all, is investing to deliver a good customer experience and to drive increased demand such a terrible idea.

najaB

Veteran Member
Instead of taking the 'it is too hard' approach, how about accepting that a 1970's system is past its sell by date and delivering something suitable for today.
Says the guy who wants to upgrade ticket barriers...

Deerfold

Veteran Member

There's a difference between 'too difficult' and 'not trivial'. There may well be a case to be made for doing it, but dismissing it as trivial doesn't make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.