Favorite bus and operator

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Heinz57, 21 Feb 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

The Metrobus did have its good points; it had pretty good peformance for a Gardner engine, and decent ride quality. But (those of certain London operators, particularly), they could get in a dreadful clonky and rattly state. I'd deliberately try to avoid a, say, London General or Metroline ex London Northern one.
    One other that I would suggest would be the Leyland Titan; now that was a very well designed Bus. Excellent ride quality and loads of space.

2. VTPreston_Tez

VTPreston_Tez Established Member

X53, First in Dorset. When you get a good driver the West Bay-Chickerell leg of the route is actually wild and adrenaline-pumping!
    The 31 is more frequent and has great rail links but lacks in many other areas, also having a leg similar to the X53's killer leg!
    Also there's Preston Bus, my local useless bus service. Ever since my local bus (also the 31!) extended to Lea, the journey from Savick to the City Centre takes just short of 35 minutes, up to an hour in some cases! It used to take 9 minutes, but oh well. I still love 'em. The Orbital (88A/88C) route is classic, serves my school, and most of the major places in Preston but the 20:22 from Black Bull served by 88A is always late! Still love the ride though, especially at night.

3. beermaddavep

beermaddavep Member

Favourite bus- ECW Bristol RE, nothing will ever sound as good as one of those again.

Favourite company is much more difficult, maybe Go ahead group, or East Yorkshire?

4. 185

185 Established Member

All hail the beast....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 202.jpg
      202.jpg
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Stonesourscotty

Stonesourscotty Member

Wigan,United Kingdon and Sydney (Unfortunately) Au
    Very Simple my favourite bus is Arriva 1050-61 [​IMG]

This is 1057 seen on a former St Helens route 362 now renumbered 352 and rarely used on the route the buses are fast nippy and have very well padded seats. They where new to Northwestern Skelmersdale Depot since closed for the 311 Service and are by far the best Scania's on earth! (Believe me they are great machines...) It is currently about to be withdrawn by SH when newer cheapo nasty wright Streetlights arrive unfortunately this will be further degradation of Arriva in the local area after numerous darts and pulsars arrived over the past few years as the streetlights are horrible small and rattley even when new and will be my last time using Arriva St Helens depot apart from attending St Helens beer fest once a year as i will be walking or Using Arriva Southport Northern rail or FirstWigan nightbuses from now on.

Favourite operator is Wellglade because everytime i visit the East midlands or Manchester they run there buses to such a high standard nothing i use in the northwest compare to them

Last edited: 24 Feb 2012
  6. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

talking of Uno, i lived in the Watford/St Albans vicinity for a while, and while they were never my favourite opertor (i can vouch for their casual attitude to timetables :| ), what they had then that made for it in entertainment value was the Blue Birds, American built things based on typical American school buses. They were built like battleships (literally, the interiors were all aluminium plating and exposed rivets), and they had basically Dart drivelines, Cummins 6BTA/Allison, but U.S. spec, rated at 210 hp, and boy they could shift. On faster sections of road like the Watford & St Albans bypasses they could get up to <strictly within the legal limit, of course>. :lol: Not bad ride quality, too, for steel suspension, and they sounded rather impressive too.

7. Heinz57

Heinz57 Member

For that 'proper bus' feel, I think its got to be a Wright Solar Scania. There's just something about it that gives it that feel.

8. 150222

150222 Established Member

I'm a fan of First West Yorkshire's Wright bodied Volvo B10BLE's. Brilliant engine noise. :)

9. ajax103

ajax103 Established Member

Anyone by Stagecoach in Peterborough - Have found First Eastern Counties to be much more value for money even before I joined First.

10. Stonesourscotty

Stonesourscotty Member

Wigan,United Kingdon and Sydney (Unfortunately) Au
    If you Like the Solars you'd love The Paladins i posted they have a great high ride quality almost coach like and can really shift...

As for B10BLE's i find them good but some are great especially the Y-CSF batch found allover the country. Arriva's 2701-30 batch of B10BLE are in dire need of a mid life rebuild.

11. 150222

The B10BLE's that I like are mainly the S*** SVU & V*** UVY batches. Am also a fan of B7RLE/B9TL's. Not to mention Leven Valley (Middlesbrough)'s Enviros and Halifax Joint Commitee's Metrobuses KYO 624X & B162 WUL. Sadly these are the only two left after HJC stopped operating it's commercial routes (28A, 31, 34 & 36) in october 2010. They now only have school contracts and tendered service 629 between Bingley and Shipley. Service 392 from Walsden to Halifax still exists but is only a once per day return service of the C7 school service and never has anyone on it.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2012
  12. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

If we're talking about favourite vehicles, there are many buses I like and enjoy travelling on but my favourite has to be the Leyland Titan B15 of the 1970/80s. Absolute pleasure to ride on, and from conversations with friends who worked with them, built like tanks too.

13. BrummyBoy

BrummyBoy Member

Fav operator would be Central Buses

Fav buses are the Volvo B7/ALX400 or Wright Liberator, Volvo B10L. Also have a soft spot for the Dennis Darts (particually ALX200 models).

14. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Leyland Atlanteans and Sunderland Busways. In those far off days when PTE operated/supported public transport in Tyne and Wear was overwhelmingly yellow :)

There's not many current* bus types that float my boat, and most operations are presided over by big corporate monstrosities. Enviro 400s are a mighty fine vehicle though, and I admire Lothian buses for still being locally run, providing pleasingly cheap fares and operating a modern bus fleet that in my (admittedly sporadic) experience is kept exceptionally clean, tidy and well maintained. So on that basis, out of current operations, I would say Lothians' new Enviro hybrids.

*"Current" as in introduced in the course of the last 10-15 years. There's still many older designs that are still hanging on in several fleets that I am fond of, including Leyland Olympians and Lynxes, Optare Deltas and Dennis Darts.

15. YorkshireRider

YorkshireRider Established Member

I used to like the Scania N113 Aleaxnder RH, seemed to go like muck off a shovel. Black Prince buses were very good in Leeds before first bought them out, friendly and realiable.

16. 150222

I also used to enjoy the F*** XYG reg Leyland Olypians.

17. harz99

harz99 Member

Fav operator: The Delaine of Bourne, Lincs.

Fav bus: The original spec London Transport RCL Routemaster Coaches; both fabulous to ride and drive.

18. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I must admit, I've always loved the looks of the Optare Delta - it's just a pity it was mounted on the DAF SB220 chassis.

19. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Agreed, a very smart vehicle well ahead of it's time. Compared to what else was out there, miles ahead. It's unfortunate that it wasn't mounted on something more palatable, I'd argue the same about the Spectra, another superb design.

20. ReverendFozz

ReverendFozz Member

A couple of answers to this to each part from my point of view...

Favourite Company today would be Go North East.

Favourite Company of all time would is Michael Franks Coaches, Franks used to run the 153 service from Easington Lane to Sunderland via Murton, they were my favourite because of the vehicles they used, a knackered old coach that pounded the roads for years, the buses were absolutely scruffy, the drivers were no better in some cases and they never banned smoking on the bus with smoking allowed in the 2-3 rows, but the customer service was good and the drivers were pleasant enough. Coming close to Franks would be Ok Travel.

I dont have a single favourite bus, these days I like GNEs

SINGLE DECKERS
    Scania L94's and Mercedes Citaro
    DOUBLE DECKER
    Plaxton President

Favourite of all time is

SINGLE DECKER
    Leyland National
    DOUBLE DECKER
    Leyland Atlantean
    MCW Metrobus

Thread Status: