• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favorite International Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

marku51

What are people's favorite international (non-UK) stations? I was thinking about the station in Helsinki (see thread below). Helsinki is one of my favorites--the giant art-deco statues are cool. I think for me these are more architectural favorites but are also great for trains.

my top five--

1. Strasbourg
2. Frankfurt Hbf
3. Paris-Est
4. Helsinki
5. Amsterdam Centraal

I also like Brusselles Midi, but more for that trains, and less for the station. It's a bit of an ugly duckling. And I'm not sure about Strasbourg any more--since I lived there (2002) some bunch of morons decided to put a dome over it, a la "Simpsons Movie"

marku

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My favourite is definitely Amsterdam Centraal. I love the grand design, the bustle outside by the tram stops, the smell of the broodje's in the main subway under the tracks...ah, memories!

I also have a soft spot for Luzern...

Vulcan

I guess Douglas on the IOMR and MER doesn't count.

Second to that, Grand Central in New York is the only foreign station I have been to, and by chance its quite an impressive building.
You would have expected it to have high security, but I walked right down the platforms and had a good look at a Genesis (they're HUGE!) unchallenged. In contrast, we had to take off our shoes for the security check at the Empire State building.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I was very impressed with Berlin Hbf this summer, trains in all directions on several levels all visible.

beermaddavep

I rather like Hannover, with it's bustling frontage and arcades, brimming with all manner of shops, cafes and snack outlets.

An smaller station worth a visit in it's own right is Uelzen in Lower Saxony, an unusual restoration with fascinating architecture- it manages to blend traditional style with modern sculpted tile designs.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Antwerp Central
Amsterdam Central
Berlin Hbf
Frankfurt Hbf
Leipzig Hbf
Milan Central
Rome Termini
Venice Santa Lucia

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought Berlin Hbf was awesome when I went there in Aug 2007 although I thought the lower level platforms were a bit dull.

j0hn0

in no particular order

Frankfurt Hbf
Haarlem
Liege (Luik)

I would say Amsterdam Centraal but having used it every day for a year, no. If the floor is wet, which is often, you can break your neck. Plus it reeks of **** :roll:

Waddon

I have good memories of Cologne, and Wurzberg in Germany. Not because they are particularly special stations, but because I had a good time there. Also I'd agree with comments about New York Grand Central, although its a bit too much like St. Pancras for my taste (i.e. its now a shopping centre with a train station attached, rather than the other way round). The subway platforms are fun, though...

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
For exterior design, I'd choose Limoges Benedicine
Limoges Benedictine station.jpg (click to enlarge)
and our member passenger has rendered it in watercolour, here...
159005peintures_2_053.jpg
from this thread.
Its limestone exterior takes the colour of the sunlight and even seems to amplify it at sunset!

In a similar vein, I love some of the art nouveau detail still to be found arouns some of the Paris Metro

Last edited:

skindavid

My home town station- Antwerpen Centraal- just been facelifted and cleaned- simply beautiful!

However, Brussel Centraal - yuck yuck yuck... dingy, smelly and forbidding...

tripleseis

Antwerpen Centraal is a fabulous station. A friend described it as something out of a 1930s Sci-Fi movie.

Drsatan

Established Member
Ok, here goes, based on my limited travels throughout Europe:

Koln Hbf
Paris Gare du Nord
Chur Hbf (Switzerland)
Frankfurt Hbf
Ostend (impressive station building even if it's a bit tatty)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Munich Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) is quite beautiful with ICE's also visiting...

You've got to be kidding, it's a tatty station built in the 1950s. I go in there most days as I live 5-10 mins walk from there.

What I do like about it is the variety of destinations in other countries: Zurich, Paris, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Warsaw, Moscow, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Klagenfurt, Graz, Innsbruck, Venice, Rome, Milan, Verona, Budapest & Zagreb.

Favourite stations:

Paris Est - lovely and nicely refurbished front
Leipzig Hauptbahhof - huge and great place for a wander
Madrid P de Atocha - the renovated old part of station, great to see all the AVEs lined up
Berlin Hbf
Koln Hbf - for its city centre location next to the Rhine and Dom

wish I could include St Pancras on the last list !

odol

Hello
Best one for me:
Berlin Hbf for great modern architecture and two levels platforms
Amsterdam Centraal for bulding, which is amazing, and for arround area.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Amsterdam Centraal will be a lot better once they've finished modernising it, it seems to be taking ages.

Went to Amsterdam last weekend, was disappointed to see that they are installing ticket barriers at Centraal

Railjet

My favourites are Kobenhavn H, Dresden Hbf and, especially, Budapest Keleti.

Budapest Keleti is abysmal. The best thing about it is the frontage - when standing in the square in front of the station. The two statues of Watt and Stephenson standing each side of and above the main portal are very impressive. Surprising how - being the very epitome of early capitalism - they were not taken down during the communist era.

The station itself is incredibly seedy and needs upgrading badly. If you walk into the main entrance and are looking for the international ticket office, to get there you have to exit through a shabby, narrow passageway between a couple of very sleazy bars with the inevitable dodgy characters hanging around.

You've got to be kidding, it's a tatty station built in the 1950s. I go in there most days as I live 5-10 mins walk from there.

I agree that architecturally Munich Hbf is mediocre, but I wouldn't describe it as tatty. One of my favourite stations, and the way good stations should be, in my opinion. Plenty of space, a real hubbub of people throughout the day - but with no feeling of danger at all. Lots of facilities, very reasonably priced (€1 for a cappuccino at Yorma's!) and you can get up close to the trains whether travelling or not. I always enjoy my visits there.

kevsmiththai

Bangkok Hua Lamphong is the main terminal station and for a railfan it is like stepping back in time. Long loco hauled passenger trains, diesel shunters breaking and making trains up constantly, fly shunting carraiges into bay platforms. Passengers standing in the middle of the tracks using the carraige watering hoses to have a shower. At noon the staff tend to have a siesta whilst the mad englishman running around with the cameras and camcorders does his best to get heatstroke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0nsyzNQHdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1VKmOrNovY

FlyingScot

Any station on the east lanchasire rail. Gettit? With the S160? Oh please yourselves.
Anyway, it's Waterloo. I know it's closed, but its still a splendid station. I wish it didn't close, so all the hsts will come back to pancras and then the eurostars in waterloo. Sadly, it looks unlikely.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.