• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite automated announcement chimes and jingles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your favourite foreign station and onboard announcement chimes and jingles?

My favourites are the four Hungarian ones (it seems that there is one for local trains / one for long distance national trains / one for long distance international trains / one for GYSEV Raaberbahn trains) and the two Romanian ones (it seems that there is one for the South of the country and one for the North of the country). I also really like the one found on local suburban and regional DB trains in Germany. And the Russian and Danish ones are really good as well. Finally the BKK Budapest (Metro and Tram) has a really good one.

I have attached some recordings.

Does anyone know any other particular good ones?

Attachments

• Denmark-DSB-Type1.mp3
    37.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Germany-DB-Type1.mp3
    79.6 KB · Views: 644
  • Hungary-BKK-Type1.mp3
    62.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Hungary-MAV-Type1.mp3
    34 KB · Views: 366
  • Hungary-MAV-Type2.mp3
    81.3 KB · Views: 327
  • Hungary-MAV-Type3.mp3
    89.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Hungary-MAV-Type4.mp3
    33.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Romania-CFR-Type1.mp3
    142.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Romania-CFR-Type2.mp3
    95.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Russia-RZD-Type1.mp3
    91.9 KB · Views: 357
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really like the DB DoStos where it plays the first bar of the state's anthem based on which state you are in. I also quite like the ATW jingle but it could do with being changed to be the first bar of the Welsh national anthem...it is close! :)

47513 Severn

I like the SNCF jingle as well. Sounds best when followed up by a gravelly French male voice making the actual announcement, "Ici Rrrrrrrrrennes!"

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Definitely the SNCF one :D :D

Although I do also like the NS one, as found in the UK on the 700 and 380 stock.

U-Bahnfreund

Sadly, you don't hear that DB jingle you mention very often :( at least here in NRW, they don't use it all.

I like these jingles from SBB: https://youtu.be/NntqvfqR5Bs in German-speaking areas, the jingle is based upon the notes Es-B-B (SBB), in French-speaking areas upon C-F-F and in the Italian-speaking region on F-F-Es.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Sadly, you don't hear that DB jingle you mention very often :( at least here in NRW, they don't use it all.

I like these jingles from SBB: https://youtu.be/NntqvfqR5Bs in German-speaking areas, the jingle is based upon the notes Es-B-B (SBB), in French-speaking areas upon C-F-F and in the Italian-speaking region on F-F-Es.

Clever.

I suspect some of our Brexiteer politicians would have a 'Rule Brittania' based jingle...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's a shame, I thought it was used on all the DoStos.

Re DB I also quite like the old chimes. There was something quite exciting and atmospheric about "bong-bing An Gleis 1 bitte einsteigen, Tueren schliessen selbsttaetig[1], Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt", with the whistle across the middle of it and the "Teutonic slam"[2] of the UIC folding slamdoors at the end before your night train headed off into the night...

[1] I'm old enough to have also heard "Bitte einsteigen und Tueren schliessen" for the ancient compartment stock that used to be used on Hamburg-Uelzen stoppers that didn't have the autoclosers, instead having UK style heavy wraparound slamdoors.

[2] Just a phrase I use in here because it seems DB and Siemens favour trains with very loud slamdoors, including all UK Desiros.

I do quite like the "branded" nature of that and the way it changes when you cross the Roestigraben. On their TV/radio adverts they use all three in a row.

Did occur to me along similar lines (I might be mad)...was the old BR ascending 3 tone one supposed to say "Bri-tish Rail"?

Another one of note is Indian Railways who use the old Windows 3.1 startup chimes!

Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
I like the SNCF jingle, had as my ring tone while back, will use again as going Nice in September.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Clever.

I suspect some of our Brexiteer politicians would have a 'Rule Brittania' based jingle...

It'd be a bit awkward for England, I'm not sure it would be fitting to use God Save the Queen for some reason, maybe it's just a little too solemn a piece of music, and there aren't really regional anthems like in Germany. ATW and ScotRail could do it, though. (As I said the ATW chime[1] is *almost* the Welsh national anthem[2], just not quite). Actually, I really think they should, it'd be classy. Bagpipes for the on board version?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RD8Kit7Hw

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCOprRDUm8

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh...another one of note (more a tone than an announcement) - I liked the old LU low-high bong-bing, just because most others are high-low so it was quite distinctive. Doesn't seem to be used any more.

On a side note at Euston LU this morning there was a manual announcement done in perfect RP, pretty much the "Mind the Gaep" voice. Was like a step back in time :)

Gordon

I always liked the Hungarian 1980s station jingle.

My favourite is actually Geneva Airport, where the jingle is the first five notes of 'How-much-is-that-doggy-in-the-window...'

I really like the DB DoStos where it plays the first bar of the state's anthem based on which state you are in. I also quite like the ATW jingle but it could do with being changed to be the first bar of the Welsh national anthem...it is close! :)

Can i ask are Dostos the same thing as the Stadler Kiss? Or is it something different?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can i ask are Dostos the same thing as the Stadler Kiss? Or is it something different?

Sorry, should have explained. A DoSto is a Doppelstockwagen, so any double decker. The ones I'm referring to are locomotive hauled.

I have only heard it on DB trains in the Berlin area.

It was Hamburg to Berlin (by regional trains) I first heard it, it changed from Land to Land.

Oui..

When I seen this thread "de-de, di-de" immediately came to mind! It's just le best!! :D
Look on YouTube and you will find so many versions and remixes of it. I have most of them on my phone.

Besides le SNCF jingle my other favourite has to be the old chime at Roissy Aéroport that was used for many years "Indicatif Roissy" composed by Bernard Parmegiani for Aéroports de Paris in the 70's. Now replace by "Indicatif ADP"

As mentioned above the SBB-CFF-FFS is also awesome. :)

I also quite like the short and simple bing bong at München Hauptbahnhof, the MVG chime is also cool.

And who could forget the old classic bing-bong chime at Glasgow Central that was there for more than twenty years?! I grew up hearing that and will be stuck in my mind forever!

12CSVT

Established Member
It'd be a bit awkward for England, I'm not sure it would be fitting to use God Save the Queen for some reason, maybe it's just a little too solemn a piece of music, and there aren't really regional anthems like in Germany. ATW and ScotRail could do it, though. (As I said the ATW chime[1] is *almost* the Welsh national anthem[2], just not quite). Actually, I really think they should, it'd be classy. Bagpipes for the on board version?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RD8Kit7Hw

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCOprRDUm8

I'd have no objection to 'God Save The Queen' as long as it was the version sung by Johnny Rotten :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.