• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Diesel

Favourite Diesel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demps

47's in intercity.

They have history, Clag, a nice noise and if you were to ask someone to draw a deisel train, this is what they would draw!

Bloody sexy things.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Don't mind the odd Goyle myself, especially if it's an ETH Cl31/4 in BR "banger" blue at the head of a scratch XC rake of Mk2's. That's how I remember them back in the days before the Sprinters took over everything. Otherwise it would have to be a Spoon in BR blue with the Stratford silver top.

You're all too young to remember when the Cl60 was just a doodle on a drawing board somewhere in Loughborough. Back then, there were still Peaks on the Trans-Pennines and every Freightliner past my school had two Tractors on the front. There were Goyles on ballast and XC trips, a daily Spoon on an A/C rake forming the Boat Train in either direction, Grids or a pair of Whistling Wardrobes running round their Redland stone trains, and 1st gen DMU's rattling up and down on locals. Jaffa Cakes were what you went to the seaside on, IC services were loco-hauled by Cans because push-pull hadn't been invented, the ECML electrification hadn't got as far as Doncaster and there were slammers in every mainline station in London (most still in BR blue and grey). And there were only four locos on the whole network that had General Electric builder's plates on them, and they were in private ownership.

Sheds, Skips and Bodysnatchers indeed...

one TN

Kris

Don't mind the odd Goyle myself Spoon in BR blue with the Stratford silver top.

Whistling Wardrobes running round their Redland stone trains, Jaffa Cakes were what you went to the seaside on, IC services were loco-hauled by Cans because push-pull hadn't been invented,
Sheds, Skips and Bodysnatchers indeed...

one TN

Er ..... Je ne comprends pas. Goyle, Spoon, Can, Skip and Bodysnatcher - can someone translate please.

I presume Whistling Wardrobe is a 40? Jaffa Cakes used to go over us by Queenstown Road - interesting colour scheme.

56 - Grid on the cards in Large Logo blue. Knew that'd be popular.

Kris

Can't believe I forgot to add Hoovers too.

Couple of those planned for badges anyway including engine and coaches in NSE colours.

O L Leigh

Established Member
or junk, junk, junk, modern rubbish, even worse than it was before rubbish!

The bloke has no style nor sense of heritage. Go and stand in a corner until you know better. ;)

Whistling Wardrobes are Cl20's, because of the noise they make and the number of doors running down the side. It's a bit less obvious than calling them Choppers (extremely long front end) and less offensive than calling them Queers (because they always went around in pairs).

one TN

class 313

Established Member
The bloke has no style nor sense of heritage. Go and stand in a corner until you know better. ;)

Whistling Wardrobes are Cl20's, because of the noise they make and the number of doors running down the side. It's a bit less obvious than calling them Choppers (extremely long front end) and less offensive than calling them Queers (because they always went around in pairs).

one TN

They still do go around in pairs ;)

Kris

Class 28 - that's an ugly bugger! Why was it a Co - Bo? Is it because the engine was at one end?

I like the baby warships - shame they were all cut up.

Sorry if the poll's mis-leading, I'm trying to get an idea for badges that will sell well. Not many would buy a Class 28.

We haven't even got on to the best liveries yet! (Though I expect it will be Large Logo BR Blue).

kettlefan

Class 28 - that's an ugly bugger! Why was it a Co - Bo? Is it because the engine was at one end?

I like the baby warships - shame they were all cut up.

Sorry if the polls mis-leading, I'm trying to get an idea for badges that will sell well. Not many would buy a Class 28.

We haven't even got on to the best liveries yet! (Though I expect it will be Large Logo BR Blue).

I completely agree with you, the 28 was a strange nightmare from Metro Vick, and was not that good but it looks so strange thats what I love about it. I will eventually get a 3 rail Dublo one (my collection lacks one). I have absolutely no idea why they were that unbalanced wheel arrangement, you may be correct in that the heavy engine (mount it in the middle duh) needed a heavy bogie beneath it, whereas the other end didn't

Baby Warship???????
Don't you mean Baby Deltic? They were all scrapped.

the poll was perfectly straightforward, but I thought I'd share my fav loco with you! Basically if it was a first generation diesel, I like it.

Kris

H'okay - what do you reckon would be the best HST colour scheme?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Swallow by a long way...No number under the windscreen either.

Modern-day liveries, well that would be the old Virgin colours, by a long way!

Swallow and Virgin are my choices, but I'd have both!

Kris

Baby Warship Class 22

BABYWARSHIP.jpg

What about this? 37 acting hard?

fellloco.jpg

Demps

Sorry i forgot to mention the 56's, may all those fallen in battle, lay in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.