• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Electrostar

What is your favourite Electrostar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
357 for me, I prefer the Chapman seats they have to the seats fitted to the other classes (with the exception of 379 first class!).

Lockwood

I went with the 377 from a practical reason - it was the one that would get me to where I needed to go!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The ones on South Eastern with nice seats.

Because they have nice seats (and I quite like the seaside murals in the toilets)

BigB

I went for the 387 as it I said the only one that impressed when I first got on it - GWR set at Hayes and Harrington. It just felt a very nice environment, not felt with the others...

Aictos

Established Member
Mmm well I like the SE 375s because they all seem to be 2+2 seating throughout but the 377/6s, 377/7s and 387s are also pretty good because not only do they have 2+2 seating but they also have power sockets though out the train.

Wolfie

Established Member
357 for me, I prefer the Chapman seats they have to the seats fitted to the other classes (with the exception of 379 first class!).
I like the 357s and use them regularly. l don't like the 2+3 sections. The 387s are good at what they do. I use them daily.

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Never been on the GWR ones, but I always felt the 379s were a step above the others

Mikey C

Established Member
I voted 375s as they are pretty comfortable

The 387 seats are a bit ironing boardish

CBlue

379's are definitely a decent unit to travel on. Few tiny niggles aboard but otherwise perfectly good.

I was quite surprised by the traveling experience aboard 357s too despite the 3+2 seats. Comfortable, quiet and can set quite a nice place.

Non Multi

Due to the lower seatbacks, the Compin 2+2 fitted Electrostars (375/early 377s) have a more open, 'airy' interior and offer up a panoramic view from the windows (to me, anyway).

bramling

Veteran Member
What is your favourite Electrostar and why?

Southeastern 375. The seats, interior layout and decor are all pretty good.

I remember getting on one at Ashford during the latter days of slamdoor replacement. I was expecting the worst, but remember thinking “this actually is quite nice”. The recent refurbishment actually managed to make them even a little bit nicer, which was an achievement.

The Southern units are okay, in fact the Southern colours I find quite pleasant and soothing. However the ironing board seats on the later units is a spoiler. Same with the 387s.

Not used 379s enough to be able to comment, though from the small number of journeys I have done on them they seem okay.

One massive gripe with the 387s is the door open/close tones. They’re so intrusive, not helped by the auto-close being set to close the doors very soon after opening. So if you’re sitting somewhere like King’s Cross waiting to depart at anything other than the quietest of times it’s a constant stream of beeps, which gets wearing after a while. Also the first class is in an odd position on the 387s.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Because it's in the Trailer Composite, as opposed to a Driving Motor Composite? That's on the Southeastern 375/6/7/8s too, since they were refurbished up at Deby in 2017.
No, on a 387 it is at the inner end of the driving car because of the odd positioning of the partition. Presumably the original idea was the other end would be first class but that was deemed overprovision.

bramling

Veteran Member
Because it's in the Trailer Composite, as opposed to a Driving Motor Composite? That's on the Southeastern 375/6/7/8s too, since they were refurbished up at Deby in 2017.

It’s different on the 387s. GTR have put it at the inner end of one of the driving vehicles. A very odd place to have it. Having said that, the Southeastern positioning as you describe is also a bit strange.

No, on a 387 it is at the inner end of the driving car because of the odd positioning of the partition. Presumably the original idea was the other end would be first class but that was deemed overprovision.

We’ve never really got to the bottom of the logic behind it, but I have seen some docs which do seem to support the theory that the current positioning is where Bombardier envisaged it.

I’m more inclined to agree with your theory though. Certainly on the 5-car Southern units it was originally at the outer end (I think this has changed now?). With the 387 being a quick carbon copy of those units, it does seem like the partition was left as-is and the inner end became the natural choice simply based on seat numbers.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I love the Compin seated Electrostars (375 and 377/1-5) although the 377/5s need a clean and I don’t like the new 387 style PIS being fitted to the 377s in the Southern refurbishment.

379s are quite nice, better than a 387. 357s are a bit too pink. 376s aren’t great but I’d take one over a Networker anyday.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Having said that, the Southeastern positioning as you describe is also a bit strange.
You say that it is a bit strange but that area on the Connex spec units actually has the best layout of 16 seats with the best spacing in the unit.

CarrotPie

You say that it is a bit strange but that area on the Connex spec units actually has the best layout of 16 seats with the best spacing in the unit.
Indeed, there is enough space for an extra row of seats than the magical 12 seats behind the driver's cab. The last time I went on one of them (about 3 years ago now), I don't remember them having a partition door except for the standard gangway one. Also, the 375/3s (also Connex spec) still have First in a DMC, not in the motor.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
You say that it is a bit strange but that area on the Connex spec units is actually has the best layout of 16 seats with the best spacing in the unit.

Personally I wouldn’t like to be under the pan due to the lower ceiling, and being in the centre it means there will be people walking through (I realise in a gangwayed unit this is hard to avoid).

EDIT - forget the bit about the pan well, looks like I’m misremembering that!

There’s a lot to be said for first on the 365s. In their original form that was very nice indeed, apart from the curtains flapping about - they didn’t last long!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Personally I wouldn’t like to be under the pan due to the lower ceiling, and being in the centre it means there will be people walking through (I realise in a gangwayed unit this is hard to avoid).
First Class isn't under the pan, for the reason you suggest. It is in the other coach.

I always liked the class 357 LTS interior , with different shades of green, later units has a weird hybrid of pink panels and green seats, probably due to the late c2c brand change.
Connex 375 by far the best, I recall the reason for this as they were abolishing first class so wanted a happy medium. Strange for such a loathed toc to have that train of thought.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I always liked the class 357 LTS interior , with different shades of green, later units has a weird hybrid of pink panels and green seats, probably due to the late c2c brand change.
The green moquette came later. As built the second batch of 357s had a purple cloth fitting that easily stained - something similar was fitted by Prism to the Stansted 317/7s. They were retro fitted with the green moquette fitted to the first batch but without any changes to any of the other internal fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.