• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Electrostar

What is your favourite Electrostar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
I always liked the class 357 LTS interior , with different shades of green, later units has a weird hybrid of pink panels and green seats, probably due to the late c2c brand change.
Connex 375 by far the best, I recall the reason for this as they were abolishing first class so wanted a happy medium. Strange for such a loathed toc to have that train of thought.

One thing Connex definitely got right was the Electrostar interior designs. The only slight issue was the first class - I think I remember there was originally some plan that the country end of a train might have been partitioned off as some kind of premium offering, perhaps on selected peak trains, but this never happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Voted Class 379 - I've always found them really nice to travel on, even if the seats are a bit small (I'm not even big!)

Also like 377s if you get a good one, but unfortunately are let down due to some having really unpleasant 3+2 seating.

GWR's 387s are quite nice, but I've often the found them a bit grubby (sadly the same with almost all trains refurbished into GWR green).

CarrotPie

One thing Connex definitely got right was the Electrostar interior designs. The only slight issue was the first class - I think I remember there was originally some plan that the country end of a train might have been partitioned off as some kind of premium offering, perhaps on selected peak trains, but this never happened.
Do 375s/377s even have First Class partition doors?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My recollection of the concept was that they could mark out any area of a complete train as first class - therefore a peak 12-car from London might have had a whole coach (but just one in one unit) set up as first class for its journey from London.

However, turnaround times and splitting / joining just made it too complex to carry out the plan.

Do 375s/377s even have First Class partition doors?
Only 377/4, 377/5, 377/6 and 377/7 have partition doors. All 375s and 377/1, 377/2 and 377/3 don't.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Only 20 377/1s have 3+2 seating throughout, all the others have 2+2 only in the Driving Motors, with 3+2 restricted to the intermediate cars.
377120-377139 still have a mix - 2+2 at the end of each car and 3+2 in the middle section of all four cars, not 3+2 throughout.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

+1

I remember when the 375/6's were being introduced, an entire driving coach was given over to first class. Can't remember when this was downsized

JonathanH

Veteran Member
+1

I remember when the 375/6's were being introduced, an entire driving coach was given over to first class. Can't remember when this was downsized
Quite soon as it wasn't practical and they came under pressure to have a dedicated area in each unit.

Milo T.K

377 since it is probably the most comfortable electrostar you will get and metro wise 378 since it has ac and decent capacity

Recessio

378 Capitalstar. Other metro services using Electrostars could learn a thing or two about not jamming their trains full of seats on lines with lots of stops.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I haven't done a huge number of miles on Electrostars, given I don't live in the south east, but are they not all very similar?

I don't like Chapman seats or ironing boards, and the SE ones are looking a bit tatty now, so I guess I'd say the 379, but there's not much in it really.

I have to say that I find the 378s pretty depressing. They're far too dark inside and have a sort of barren appearance to them which I don't like. Also, the PIS screens have far too small text and the auto-announcer seems to not shut up! The 710s look much better though I've not tried one.
I should add, I'm really not a fan of the way TfL have shoehorned the 710 livery onto the 378; it looks rubbish.

route101

Established Member
377s with older seats. The 357 are very cramped with 3 -2 seating.

Wolfie

Established Member
I haven't done a huge number of miles on Electrostars, given I don't live in the south east, but are they not all very similar?

I don't like Chapman seats or ironing boards, and the SE ones are looking a bit tatty now, so I guess I'd say the 379, but there's not much in it really.

I have to say that I find the 378s pretty depressing. They're far too dark inside and have a sort of barren appearance to them which I don't like. Also, the PIS screens have far too small text and the auto-announcer seems to not shut up! The 710s look much better though I've not tried one.
I should add, I'm really not a fan of the way TfL have shoehorned the 710 livery onto the 378; it looks rubbish.
Opinions, opinions. I really like the refreshed 378s albeit l'd prefer an orange rather than yellow front. Living 2 mins from Canonbury station l use them every day.

Recessio

As someone who pretty much solely travels in the SE and on Electrostars, I am inclined to agree!

I also too think the new livery looks terrible.

Paul Jones 88

I chose 375 because I do many long journeys on them and I have always found them to be very comfortable and have excellent seat/window alignment.

KC1

What is your favourite Electrostar and why?
Good to see the 377 with a healthy lead. Although there are hardly any differences between that and the 375, the 377 just edges it.

However, the 377/6/7 are not part of my vote mainly because I don’t think the internal ambience is as nice as the 1-5s.

Absolutely. Connex, quite righty, got a hiding for the way they managed the two franchises but their train purchasing was spot on.

Turtle

Good to see the 377 with a healthy lead. Although there are hardly any differences between that and the 375, the 377 just edges it.

However, the 377/6/7 are not part of my vote mainly because I don’t think the internal ambience is as nice as the 1-5s.

Absolutely. Connex, quite righty, got a hiding for the way they managed the two franchises but their train purchasing was spot on.
The "First" Class was definitely the 377s weakness. To have obtained that status the seating should have been of premium quality in 2+1 layout. The compartment should also have been carpeted.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The "First" Class was definitely the 377s weakness. To have obtained that status the seating should have been of premium quality in 2+1 layout. The compartment should also have been carpeted.
All 377s are fully carpeted (apart from the area around the universal toilet).

mightyena

I went for 357, because it's the only one I've used a fair amount and haven't had a bad experience with. They always seem to do their job, with minimal fuss

375 - have barely ever used one
376 - not used many, but they were okay, I guess
377 - would be good, if they weren't falling apart. Also I've had too many of them fail on me (and travelling on one down the Arun Valley is quite the experience. Things were being thrown off of tables!)
378 - Longitudinal seating means this one was never in the running
379 - Nice, but I've barely ever used one, so i couldn't comment on what they're like on the regular
387 - Ironing boards mean they're like a 377, but worse

Gautrain - I've never even been on the same continent as one, so I couldn't really comment

BluePenguin

On Moderation
For me it is definitely the Class 375, the train of my childhood. With their large windows and comfortable seats, every journey is a pleasant one. I enjoy sitting at a table and looking out of the window, admiring the beautiful view as we travel across the Weald (albeit calling at all stations these days). The scrolling displays are easy to read from all angles and distances. The announcements are very clear and at a suitable frequency.

The lack of plug sockets has never been much of an issue as I usually keep a power bank in my bag. The luggage racks of the Class 377s is something that would be a nice addition though. Especially as when heading to Gatwick, most of sit with luggage on our laps on our as far Tonbridge before changing for Redhill.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The obvious answer is the 377, since it covers nigh on every generation! The earliest models are a world apart from the last, such that the class as a whole represents the life of the Electrostar as a whole (Gautrain excepted).

Now if you had broken this down into subclasses, I might have had a spot more bother making a decision...

J-2739

Established Member
I've only ever been on a 378, so I guess I'll have to choose that. Not surprised that little to nobody likes the class 376s.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That'll be the 375s, where the 377/5s with SE need sorting out and seem worse than the Southern 377s.

Are their 377/5's the ones with the green Southern interiors ? We sometimes get those on Ashford - Victora stoppers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, late arrival here :)

For me it's the more recent 5-car sets (377/6 I think). I think the rounded windows look less dated than the ribbon glazing which is very early-2000s, I prefer ironing boards over the usual seats (on which the armrests are too high and the headrests too low) and I prefer an airline seat when travelling alone (they have more, and the spacing is good), and no 3+2.

Second favourite would be the all-2+2 "Brighton Express" sets, again because there are more well-spaced airline seats and similarly no 3+2.

Status
Not open for further replies.