• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite European locomotives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
The recent threads on the EU06s and DB rolling stock got me thinking about this. What are your favourite European locomotives (steam, diesel, electric) for whatever reason?

For me, I'd say the Siemens ES64U2 Eurosprinters are among my favourite modern German electric locos, they look great and sound alright.

22490114646_4affe5eb26_c.jpg

I also quite like Vectrons and the TRAXX variants, but these aren't as stylish.

As for diesels, I'm fond of the DB Class 218s
800px-218_813-4_K%C3%B6ln_Hbf%2C_2013.jpg

And the DB Class 232s (formerly DR Class 132s)

800px-DB_Class_232_in_snow.jpg

Sadly I haven't seen any class 218s in person but hopefully I'll get round to it.

My favourite looking Polish electric locos include the EU06/ EU07s

800px-Locomotive_EU07-533_of_PKP_in_Prague.jpg

And the PESA GAMAs, there's also a diesel variant.

800px-111Ed-001_2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I looked into this thread thinking it would be about real locomotives, with at least, eg the DB 011s getting a mention - only to be disappointed :)

Anyway, I'll propose the RENFE 242Fs and CP 'B12' Borsig 4-6-0s.

DB had a lot of neat stuff, but it did look a bit look-alike.

Turkey had some fabulous stuff too - if the count as European (most were built in Europe). They had some nice Prussian 4-6-4Ts IIRC (DB 078 class) Prussian 0-10-0s and there were the big 56xxx ? 2-10-0s. Skyliners, I think they got called - no nickname when I was around Zonguldak!

Almost forgot - Austrian 77 Class 4-6-2Ts - also used in Yugoslavia - and Czechs had some attractive 4-8-2s and big tanks.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
My favourite is the Siemens Taurus - they sound beautiful. Very musical (literally!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRf30pVGMp4

I'm not keen on the traction motor noise "notes" for some reason! In that respect, I prefer the later ES64U4 model.

I also quite like the look of the French BB7600s, used by SNCF and others.

1327767269.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
here is my favorite loco.
The Irish 141 class
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix_frameset.html

Best wishes from Germany
Martin

They're not bad, not too dissimilar to the class 66, also a GM product.
I looked into this thread thinking it would be about real locomotives, with at least, eg the DB 011s getting a mention - only to be disappointed :)

I've mixed opinions about the Deutsche Reichsbahn pacifics. Some of the 01 variants look great in my opinion, as do the Kriegsloks in a "rugged way", but I think the streamlined 01 pacific looks pretty bad.

01-1102-am-12-09-09-SEH.jpg

I quite like some Polish designs, namely the PM36.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

Given the relative youthfulness of many forum members it's hardly surprising that "modern" traction is being discussed.

Having traveled quite widely there are many european locos that I've enjoyed experiencing. I never made it to Greece, home of allegedly the loudest diesels, so my favourites would include DB 218, DB 232, DSB MZ, CD 749 and HZ 2062. With a soft spot for Preston built PKP EU06.

Harbornite

Established Member
Given the relative youthfulness of many forum members it's hardly surprising that "modern" traction is being discussed.

so my favourites would include DB 218, DB 232, With a soft spot for Preston built PKP EU06.

Good choices!

class387

Established Member
I also quite like the look of the French BB7600s, used by SNCF and others.

1327767269.jpg

May I ask why the loco is hauling an Z6400 EMU? Was it failed?
I'm not keen on the traction motor noise "notes" for some reason! In that respect, I prefer the later ES64U4
Everyone has their own opinion I guess. I prefer more modern sounds such as those of the Class 365 emu.

Established Member
Hard pressed to pick a favourite but the answer is not 218s. "best diesels in Europe" I was told before my first one. Overrated bin lorries, sure they are only deemed highly because they are easy to bash.

I think Czech would steal it for "best country to bash" in 2016, certainly now the 664s have finished. Shame the remaining 661s are a right pain to actually have.

Last edited:

47513 Severn

Another vote for the German class 103 electrics!

Massively powerful, especially when compared with our own class 91 which was designed nearly twenty years later or even their own successor the class 101.

Unique looking as well (in a good way) and certainly unlike anything else in Germany.

I lived and worked in Germany in 1997 when they still hauled the majority of IC/EC trains and have many fond memories of Saturday trips from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam in the pre-ICE days. Long trains of compartment stock with a 103 to Emmerich then watching the loco swap for a Dutch electric. A compartment to myself and the Saturday Daily Telegraph (available complete with all its multiple sections at the Dusseldorf Hbf Presse und Buch) made for a very pleasant journey.

The current journey by ICE 3 is faster but inferior in pretty much every other way.

Harbornite

Established Member
DB 103

Nuff said.

I like those, they effeminately look better than their 101 replacements. Do you prefer them in red and cream or blue and beige?
Another vote for the German class 103 electrics!

Massively powerful, especially when compared with our own class 91 which was designed nearly twenty years later or even their own successor the class 101.

Unique looking as well (in a good way) and certainly unlike anything else in Germany.

I lived and worked in Germany in 1997 when they still hauled the majority of IC/EC trains and have many fond memories of Saturday trips from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam in the pre-ICE days. Long trains of compartment stock with a 103 to Emmerich then watching the loco swap for a Dutch electric. A compartment to myself and the Saturday Daily Telegraph (available complete with all its multiple sections at the Dusseldorf Hbf Presse und Buch) made for a very pleasant journey.

The current journey by ICE 3 is faster but inferior in pretty much every other way.

DB Fernverkehr have started using a handful of 103s on some services again.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/V200-002-600.jpg[/img]

The V200s are alright, and recognizable as the inspiration for our own Warship hydraulics. I saw one on autoballaster wagons in Berlin, I suspect it was 221135, belonging to Bocholter Eisenbahngesellschaft.
6f2cdc1eb08070f167a4681ec05d5d65.jpg

Their logo seems to be a rip-off of of British Rail's.

Groningen

Established Member
reviews_1321698497.jpg

Did i almost forgot our dutch 1200 Class! How stupid of me. American style; no survival for cars when hit.

47513 Severn

Indeed, I caught one that turned up unexpectedly on a service from Stuttgart while on a German Interail week last year. It totally threw out my plan as it was going in the opposite direction to my intentions but I had to grab the opportunity.

Ps. Is "effeminately" a typo? I know they are curvy but those locos definitely have balls!

sarahj

Established Member
I like those, they effeminately look better than their 101 replacements. Do you prefer them in red and cream or blue and beige?

The V200s are alright, and recognizable as the inspiration for our own Warship hydraulics. I saw one on autoballaster wagons in Berlin, I suspect it was 221135, belonging to Bocholter Eisenbahngesellschaft.
6f2cdc1eb08070f167a4681ec05d5d65.jpg

Their logo seems to be a rip-off of of British Rail's.

The 103's were never in Blue and Beige. Many were painted in IC red, which then faded badly. Only one made it into Traffic Red, which was a promo with Roco, who produced a model of it. It looked good, and I have the model.:D It had grey skirts and looked good. But still looked the best in TEE Red/Cream.

Saw my first one in Basle in 1979 from the window of a Calais-Luzern train. But first pulled by one on a trip in 1981. (first class tourist card. Koln-Mainz-Munich-Garmish-Munich-Nurnburg-Frankfurt-Nunrburg-Berlin zoo-Koln 8-)

Groningen

Established Member
I believe there are only 3 left of the 103 Class. The 113, 222 and 245.

According to a reply to someone 10 days ago.

These are the routes:
München - Ulm - München
Wörgl (ÖBB) - München
München - Stuttgart

For the 120:
München - Stuttgart - Frankfurt
Karlsruhe - Nürnberg
Stuttgart - Nürnberg - München
Frankfurt - Leipzig
Frankfurt - Düsseldorf - Münster - Berlin
Berlin - Aachen- Hamburg

But if needed they run also elsewhere.

Harbornite

Established Member
The 103's were never in Blue and Beige. Many were painted in IC red, which then faded badly. Only one made it into Traffic Red, which was a promo with Roco, who produced a model of it. It looked good, and I have the model.:D It had grey skirts and looked good. But still looked the best in TEE Red/Cream.

Saw my first one in Basle in 1979 from the window of a Calais-Luzern train. But first pulled by one on a trip in 1981. (first class tourist card. Koln-Mainz-Munich-Garmish-Munich-Nurnburg-Frankfurt-Nunrburg-Berlin zoo-Koln 8-)

There's this...
maxresdefault.jpg

They don't look that good in the old red, traffic red suits them but their best livery is definitely the red and cream.

Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
I know this is totally uncool, but I rather like a modern loco that first appeared in the UK and then spread all over Europe and many parts of the world. The class 66

eisenach

The husband of a German colleague who was on a visit to our school had happened to notice that ATW is a DB company. The next hour at the dinner table was spent talking about BR103s ! (The women were less enthusiastic!) :D
Wonderful locos, especially in the TEE cream and maroon.

sarahj

Established Member

Attachments

• 605_781471.jpg
    605_781471.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 12

ac6000cw

Established Member
The Swiss Re 620 (Re 6/6) and Re 420 (Re 4/4) - they just say 'I'm Swiss' from every angle (perfectly spoken in three languages of course ;)).

K10173%20740x324.gif
(Re620 image from http://www.winco.uk.com/KatoN2015.html)

The classic Italian Bo-Bo-Bo electrics with articulated bodywork e.g. the E.645/E.646, and the early rounded-cab 125 mph E.444 'Turtles' (complete with a 'flying turtle' cartoon logo on the side of the cab - someone at FS had a nice sense of humour!). Even if they didn't manage to improve FS timekeeping they sure looked the part (timekeeping was a lost cause though back then).

Locomotiva_E645.JPG
(E.645 image from wikimedia)

2971690917_64647ae862.jpg
(E.444 image from Maurizio Boi on Flickr)

Any of the old 'crocodile' style vintage electrics.

...and I'd also agree with another poster about the Irish 141 class - simple, down-to-earth, raucously musical EMD V8 diesel power :D.

Last edited:

Welly

Of the SNCF, I like the CC72000 diesels and the CC6500 DC electrics - Paul Arzen design classics!

I also like the NSB Di4 diesel locos that work Trondheim to Bodo, great sounding GM engine and it's angular looks appeals to me.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The CIE 071 Class is up there at the top for me, purely for their soundtrack:
[youtube]?v=iiAAQTIrkTE[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.