• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite European Metro Stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and start this :lol: Mods, feel free to move this if it should be in the Other Transport section instead.

Anyway, as the title suggests, post your favourite types of European metro stock (not trams, light rail or suburban rail). Mine are as follows:

The MF67s in Paris:

MF67 - Pont de Sèvres by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr

The original M1/M2/M3 stock in Brussels:

M1 128 - Alma by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr

The GI/1E 'Giselas' in Berlin:

GI/1E stabled at Olympiastadion by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr

The original type A units in Munich (not my photo):

typ-a-foto-swm-mvg_web.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
Love the Munich Type As as well - my favourite. The Type Bs are also very good. I always wait for one of these if the first train is a Type C, horrible trains.

The unrefurbished MF77s in Paris are very comfortable, but my favourite Parisian metro stock are the MF88s on line 7bis, despite their unreliability. Love their motor sounds.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
I see you've mentioned the Berlin U bahn units, they are a tad spartan but I quite like them. However, what I do like are the Berlin S bahn class 481 units, they are also basic (as expected) but they sound good and can go like stink.

Established Member
Love the Munich Type As as well - my favourite. The Type Bs are also very good. I always wait for one of these if the first train is a Type C, horrible trains.

The unrefurbished MF77s in Paris are very comfortable, but my favourite Parisian metro stock are the MF88s on line 7bis, despite their unreliability. Love their motor sounds.

I'm actually also a big fan of the Type Cs, whilst they aren't nearly as interesting as the As or Bs, I think that they are very good from a passenger's point of view. Also really like the MF77s, both unrefurbished or refurbished.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I see you've mentioned the Berlin U bahn units, they are a tad spartan but I quite like them. However, what I do like are the Berlin S bahn class 481 units, they are also basic (as expected) but they sound good and can go like stink.

Agreed about the 481s, however the build quality/reliability of them is notoriously bad!

Harbornite

Established Member
I'm actually also a big fan of the Type Cs, whilst they aren't nearly as interesting as the As or Bs, I think that they are very good from a passenger's point of view. Also really like the MF77s, both unrefurbished or refurbished.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Agreed about the 481s, however the build quality/reliability of them is notoriously bad!

I wasn't aware of these issues, but I do think that they look rather dated, both inside and out. In one German city (possibly Leipzig) they use 442s and class 182s and doppelstock for s bahn services, that's quite a difference!

AlexNL

Established Member
In one German city (possibly Leipzig) they use 442s and class 182s and doppelstock for s bahn services, that's quite a difference!
Yes, but that's just heavy rail on lines also that are shared with freight trains and long distance passenger trains. The Berlin S-Bahn network is completely separate from the rest of the network, the only thing they have in common is the gauge.

I quite liked the Stockholm C20 metro stock;

DSC05964 by johane64, on Flickr

beermaddavep

Budapest line 3 :) Worked by hellfire 40 year old Metrovagonmash units, a real blast from the past. Plus the historic Budapest line 1, the stations are a joy to behold!

The metro in Lyon with its distinctive rounded trains. They were still orange when I rode them (not my picture though).

Established Member
I'm also a massive tram fan... Perhaps someone should start yet another 'Favourite European...' thread for them :lol:

AlexNL

Established Member
The metro in Lyon with its distinctive rounded trains. They were still orange when I rode them

The stock which is used on Line D still is! :D

And I agree with you, the Lyon Metro is fun. My favourite line is C, as it's a rack railway.

WestCoast

Established Member

Munich Type Cs are very good for passengers, lots of room to move about and spacious. The new C2s look even better inside. The older As and Bs are classic but not so great in the rush hour or for disabled passengers.

My personal favourite is the newer stock on the Prague Metro Line C, really nice and comfy for a metro train!

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I really like the Inspiro in Warsaw on the Metro, great modern design, great passenger volume controlled AC and speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.