• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Internet Browser on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Hey guys

I’m swapping mobile phones tomorrow from Apple iPhone XS Max to Samsung Galaxy S20 and wondered what’s your favourite browser, especially for viewing RAILUK Forum, fast loading essential.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I use Firefox. Though more because I use it on desktop and the bookmarks are synced up.

Chrome is decent too, which is what you normally get by default, don't know what Samsung give you though as they do like to customise.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I just like the freedom of Android versus the restricted feel of Apple, Firefox is definitely a fine browser, just a case of trial and error finding the most reliable app

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I just like the freedom of Android versus the restricted feel of Apple, Firefox is definitely a fine browser, just a case of trial and error finding the most reliable app

The upside of Android with regard to browsers is that each one is its own thing - on iOS Apple require all browsers to use the Webkit (Safari) engine so they're all the same, all you're choosing is the icon and menu structure!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Chrome is good, Samsung's bloatware browser is rubbish.

I used to use Opera, until they were bought by the Chinese, but I don't trust Chinese software as far as I could throw it.

mmh

Established Member
Chrome is good if you want the best integration with Google's web services, unsurprisingly. Duck Duck Go is the opposite, but the choice if you want as little Google as possible. The forum works perfectly in both (I use one on one phone and the other on another)

The other main ones are:

Firefox: worth considering if you already use it on a computer or need one of its many plugins, so but otherwise no real selling point

Opera: Quirky. Comes in different versions, with support for Opera's caching proxies and VPN

Microsoft Edge: A bit strange.

There's also the "standard" Android browser which will be installed as "Browser" or "Internet" probably. It's awful, don't bother with it.

The upside of Android with regard to browsers is that each one is its own thing - on iOS Apple require all browsers to use the Webkit (Safari) engine so they're all the same, all you're choosing is the icon and menu structure!

That's not really the case, most Android browsers are either Chromium (Google) or Gecko (Mozilla/Firefox) based. The interfaces are different but the rendering engines are the same. iOS enforces that, but it's also the status quo on Android.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Chrome is good, Samsung's bloatware browser is rubbish.

Samsung's bloatware generally is rubbish. I wouldn't have a Samsung phone if you paid me to. There is very little wrong with stock Android these days (early versions were basic, but they're now very much not), so I'd recommend manufacturers who do little "skinning", e.g. OnePlus (if you want a premium end phone) or Motorola (down the cheaper end). An added bonus of manufacturers who don't put too much rubbish on top is that you get upgrades much quicker.

I also dislike the flickery (50Hz) pulsed OLED screens they use on most of their phones.

To the OP - if you turn out to dislike Samsung's bolt-on-top junk, please don't go straight back to Apple - try another Android phone instead.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's not really the case, most Android browsers are either Chromium (Google) or Gecko (Mozilla/Firefox) based. The interfaces are different but the rendering engines are the same. iOS enforces that, but it's also the status quo on Android.

That's two vs. one, though. Webkit is your only option on Apple.

SS4

Established Member
Firefox Focus - it's the fastest browser that I've used as it's designed to be light and privacy focussed.

However, it is an amnesiac browser and it will forget your session when you tell it to so if you want a persistent session I'd run normal firefox - especially as it has fairly good extension support.

Status
Not open for further replies.