• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Locomotive names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcL7

Following on from the discussion on naming the new Scotrail HST's and the variety of different suggestions, I was curious what are people's favourite names on existing locos. I've never been keen on naming them after people as it just doesn't seem to fit a large roaring diesel engine even though some of the names are for tributes.

One of my favourites was (not sure if it still has the name plate) the Scunthorpe Ironmaster on a Class 60, I was waiting at Perth station and this engine rumbled by with the aviation fuel trucks which seemed the perfect name for it.

I've never seen a class 50 as I'm too far north but their names appeared appropriate, I like the similar names for the 68's particularly Defiant and Valiant.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
There was a certain romance and mystery to the names originally applied to many of the class 87s. "Hal o' the Wynd", applied to 87031, and previously carried by the third Peppercorn A1 Pacific, was my favourite. "Wolf of Badenoch" (87027) and "Redgauntlet" (87026) also sounded impressive.

I must say that I have a strong preference for traditional, historical or geographical names rather than ones that recognise modern local organisations or individuals, even though the latter can be more relevant and have their place in encouraging bonds with local communities and providing publicity for the TOC.

JohnMcL7

There was a certain romance and mystery to the names originally applied to many of the class 87s. "Hal o' the Wynd", applied to 87031, and previously carried by the third Peppercorn A1 Pacific, was my favourite. "Wolf of Badenoch" (87027) and "Redgauntlet" (87026) also sounded impressive.

I had a friend who recently bought a model of the original Steam engine Cock O' the North then was at a model fair and spotted a model class 87 with the same name which seemed an odd contradiction as the name suited the big steam engine but not so much a newer electric engine.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I had a friend who recently bought a model of the original Steam engine Cock O' the North then was at a model fair and spotted a model class 87 with the same name which seemed an odd contradiction as the name suited the big steam engine but not so much a newer electric engine.
Yeah, there were a good number of the names applied to the 87s that had historically been carried by steam locos. Though I was aware of the class 87 named "Cock O' The North" some years before I gained knowledge of Gresley's P2 that had carried that name previously. That class of big Mikados certainly did seem to suit the traditional (and geographically appropriate) names bestowed upon them by the LNER, particularly "Mons Meg", named after a thwacking great cannon!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Don't see why they aren't equally appropriate, 87s being built as the locomotives for the class-1 express duties of their day. Plenty of names get re-used too: unsurprisingly my favourites include the name formerly carried by the B-17 no.61653 and currently carried by GBRf's 66738.
Whilst I liked the old Warship names, I think DRS/TPE (whoever has the final say) have missed a trick by lazily re-using those names on the TPE 68s. Naming them after landmarks/famous people/institutions from along the route would've been better IMO.

Although I'm a pacifist I'm not against locomotives being given military names, but while warship names are usually short and snappy, regimental names can be a bit of a mouthful ("The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry" anyone? ;)).

Corporate namings (i.e. an outside firm pays to have a locomotive or unit named in its honour or after its founder for example) can be a bit of a risk for both the railway and the sponsoring company if the reputation of either takes a dive. If there'd been an 86 named Gerald Ratner one can safely say those plates would've been removed in a hurry once said businessman made his infamous remarks!

Finally, some names will only have a limited shelf-life by their very nature, such as those marking an anniversary or a limited-time event. This isn't inherently a problem but if you have a unit running around in 2018 with a nameplate marking an event from 2006, it can give the impression of neglect: see also one-off branding for this- 185108 was looking very tatty by the time it lost the Liverpool Capital of Culture branding.
When they were fairly new, one of the plastic pigs was given a name after the winner of a "Mum of the Year" award, which is fine I guess except that the name stayed on for years, survived privatisation and repaints, and by the time it was removed the woman in question might well have been a grandmother!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Although I'm a pacifist I'm not against locomotives being given military names, but while warship names are usually short and snappy, regimental names can be a bit of a mouthful ("The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry" anyone? ;)).

That one's easy - it is simply known as 'KOYLI'!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The OP asked for "existing locos" so I'll chip in with one that makes me chuckle - 66783 "The Flying Dustman" :D

nat67

Established Member
43053 University of Worcester is one of mine
43070 Corp of Royal Electrical & mechanical engineers
67013 Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte
45041 Royal Tank Regiment
they are just a few.
I know one of @fishquinn's favourite which is Micheal Eavis on 43026

RichJF

73213 - University of Kent Canterbury (no longer named but just because I went to uni there)!
73109 - Battle of Britain 50th Anniversary
68008 - Avenger
67025 - Western Star

JohnMcL7

Don't see why they aren't equally appropriate, 87s being built as the locomotives for the class-1 express duties of their day. Plenty of names get re-used too: unsurprisingly my favourites include the name formerly carried by the B-17 no.61653 and currently carried by GBRf's 66738.
Whilst I liked the old Warship names, I think DRS/TPE (whoever has the final say) have missed a trick by lazily re-using those names on the TPE 68s. Naming them after landmarks/famous people/institutions from along the route would've been better IMO.

I think it's just the name sounds like an older name to me that suits the steam era and seems out of place on a modern* electric engine whereas a name like the Flying Scotsman or Highland Chieftain seem more timeless.

* I know that's wrong as the class 87's are old now but electric trains all still seem fancy and high tech to a Highlander where we'll never see electrification.

I guess it's because Star Trek used the warship names so that's what I think of particularly as I liked the Defiant classes on Deep Space Nine :)

The OP asked for "existing locos" so I'll chip in with one that makes me chuckle - 66783 "The Flying Dustman"

That's brilliant, I hadn't heard of that one. Ever since Boaty McBoatface there's now a stigma with getting people to give a name but that one is spot on and I like some of the gritter names from the public too.

We had James the Engine up here as our 66 pulling the intermodal train which I liked although initially thought it was James the giant engine which seemed appropriate for a class 66.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I like the ones that can be misread if they're going too fast.
Someone once reported they'd glimpsed a newly-named 73, "I think it was Arthur something". This was pre-internet, so it was a while before we worked out it was Airtour Suisse from the namings listings in the monthly mags.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Those three are also firm favorites of mine, Wolf of Badenoch in particular. As you say, they just ooze mystery & romance; B.R. really hit the nail on the head with those!

I know this thread is about named locomotives, but I have two formerly named Scottish EMUs that I'd just like to fire off real quick: 318259 Citizens' Network & 318266 Strathclyder. The fact that I grew up with these units is likely the main reason they've remained firmly stuck in my head, but something about both names just seemed so fitting. Was rather saddened when they lost their names; should have seen it coming due to the named 320s & 334s also losing their plates when going through refurbishment/relivery.

JohnMcL7

I know this thread is about named locomotives, but I have two formerly named Scottish EMUs that I'd just like to fire off real quick: 318259 Citizens' Network & 318266 Strathclyder. The fact that I grew up with these units is likely the main reason they've remained firmly stuck in my head, but something about both names just seemed so fitting. Was rather saddened when they lost their names; should have seen it coming due to the named 320s & 334s also losing their plates when going through refurbishment/relivery.

Don't worry, I wasn't specifically limiting the thread to locomotives :)

I'm trying to think if any of the DMU's up here (156/158 Sprinters and then the Turbostars) ever had names but I don't recall seeing them.

The main reason I got back into trains when I was passing the station here and was surprised to spot a 37 with a large BR logo as I'd no idea they still existed in mainline use, I was particularly taken by the fact it was named Inverness TMD and that was it sitting beside Inverness TMD.

Far north 37

Established Member
Don't worry, I wasn't specifically limiting the thread to locomotives :)

I'm trying to think if any of the DMU's up here (156/158 Sprinters and then the Turbostars) ever had names but I don't recall seeing them.

The main reason I got back into trains when I was passing the station here and was surprised to spot a 37 with a large BR logo as I'd no idea they still existed in mainline use, I was particularly taken by the fact it was named Inverness TMD and that was it sitting beside Inverness TMD.
A few of the inverness 158s have or had names think one of them gained the inverness tmd name also sure one of the haymarket 158s was named after the tmd also.
37025 was repainted back into large logo and named inverness tmd when inverness was due to lose all its loco allocation back in 1994 if i remember right.

delt1c

Established Member
D9013 (55.013) THE BLACK WATCH. My all time fav loco

JohnMcL7

A few of the inverness 158s have or had names think one of them gained the inverness tmd name also sure one of the haymarket 158s was named after the tmd also.
37025 was repainted back into large logo and named inverness tmd when inverness was due to lose all its loco allocation back in 1994 if i remember right.

I think you're right on both counts, it looks like 158720 was named "Inverness and Nairn Railway - 150 Years" and I'm sure someone else mentioned to me when 37025 had its recent visit to Inverness that it had received the Inverness name just as it was leaving pretty much.

Do the 158's carry a name plate or similar? I've never really paid them much attention so I've clearly not noticed any of them having names.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I did like the name Newton Abbot 150 on one of the HSTs. I'm not sure if it's lost that name now though

Quite a few of the 158s and 170s have had names over the years.
BBC Scotland 75 Years, Scottish Claymores, Moir Lockhead, Riverside Museum amongst them.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I grew up spotting in the 1970s and we always loved the rarity of a named Brush Type 4 aka Class 47. So City of Truro, North Star, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Sir Daniel Gooch, George Jackson Churchward etc. I was in awe on my first visit to Westbury stabling point - mid 1972 iirc when I saw six all at the same time. Atlas and Odin along with North Star were 3 of them.

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
There was a certain romance and mystery to the names originally applied to many of the class 87s. "Hal o' the Wynd", applied to 87031, and previously carried by the third Peppercorn A1 Pacific, .........

I remember an old, now deceased, friend from Byker way (Newcastle) telling me one of the original "Hal o' the Wynd" plates (ie from the A1 pacific) was in a pub somewhere in South Shields or thereabouts. Most definitely a romantic name - sounds like the name of a murder novel based on the moors.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
D9013 (55.013) THE BLACK WATCH. My all time fav loco

Interesting. IT does have a definite cachet. The Royal Scot 46102 "Black Watch" (no definite article), a Polmadie-based loco, was THE locomotive to see down on the Midland line when I was kid. It was, of course, no less likely to be seen than any other of about half a dozen 66A scots - but it was still THE one to see. I doubt it, nor its sister locos from Glasgow, ever ventured south of Leicester, nor even Sheffield, in their lives.

Far north 37

Established Member
I think you're right on both counts, it looks like 158720 was named "Inverness and Nairn Railway - 150 Years" and I'm sure someone else mentioned to me when 37025 had its recent visit to Inverness that it had received the Inverness name just as it was leaving pretty much.

Do the 158's carry a name plate or similar? I've never really paid them much attention so I've clearly not noticed any of them having names.
If i remember right they carried there names on the front below the cab windows

JohnMcL7

I grew up spotting in the 1970s and we always loved the rarity of a named Brush Type 4 aka Class 47. So City of Truro, North Star, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Sir Daniel Gooch, George Jackson Churchward etc. The first time I visited Westbury stabling point and saw 6 all at the same time, I came in my pants.

I don't know much about the Southern lines, would City of Truro have been through Basingstoke? I've got a very vague memory of seeing a class 47 down there coming through the station when visiting down there as a child and the name rings a bell. I was similarly excited on seeing a class 47 as they seemed the special engines whereas the 37's were run of the mill up in Inverness.

Far north 37

Established Member
I don't know much about the Southern lines, would City of Truro have been through Basingstoke? I've got a very vague memory of seeing a class 47 down there coming through the station when visiting down there as a child and the name rings a bell. I was similarly excited on seeing a class 47 as they seemed the special engines whereas the 37's were run of the mill up in Inverness.
You must of just missed all the 47s they always seemed to the most numerous locos at inverness till the early nineties when the class 26s and 37s were reallocated the 47s in those days had some good names strathclyde university, enterprising scot, university of dundee charles rennie mackintosh was some of the ones i remember.

JohnMcL7

You must of just missed all the 47s they always seemed to the most numerous locos at inverness till the early nineties when the class 26s and 37s were reallocated the 47s in those days had some good names strathclyde university, enterprising scot, university of dundee charles rennie mackintosh was some of the ones i remember.

I'm really hazy on that time period as I remember the Sprinters coming in (my Dad was a journalist so that was a big story) and I remember seeing the 37's pulling carriages and on the sleeper then also seeing the 47 pulling the sleeper on its own without the additional heater van which made the 47 seem so much more powerful. I can't remember any other 47's at the time though.

Far north 37

Established Member
Up until the sprinters came in the class 47s used to work all the aberdeen and highland mainline services even the push pull 47/7s made regular appearances at inverness although class 37s regulary deputised also on these services.
They also worked the sleepers till the class 37s took over for a few years there was a special sleeper fleet at inverness classed 47/6s with eth for working the sleeper till the 37s with generator vans took over.
But as you mention above res class 47/7s or 47/4s took over the sleeper duties till the class 67s entered service.

Strathclyder

Established Member
If i remember right they carried there names on the front below the cab windows
Indeed they did:
41238455620_afd6511143_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.