• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone, the title says its all and I'm hoping that it might make for an interesting thread. I've picked my top five but there are no rules to this thread

Lord Clyde, close to Borough Tube. The pub is a very friendly back street local with some fantastic Edwardian pub architecture. I work in Bankside and meet my wife in there for a couple of pints on a Friday night.

The White Cross in Richmond. A Young's pub, nothing out of the ordinary apart from the fact it's right by the Thames (in fact the Thames comes over the road next to the pub at high tide) and a few minutes walk from my house. On a summers evening, in need of a pint it's my number one destination.

The Brunswick, Derby. A fantastic pub right by the station serving great beers at competitive prices along with its own brewery and railway photo's.

The Holly Bush, Makeney, Derbyshire. This is my little sisters local (along with the King William) and it's a wonderful little free house. By all accounts Dick Turpin was fond of the place too.

My last top five is the Sportsman Inn at Cowgill, just down the Coal Road from Dent station. It's a lovely Dales pub and generally has at least one beer on offer from the Dent brewery.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheNewNo2

I'm going to be a bit liberal about what counts.

1) Cucamara's cocktail bar in Nottingham. Some delicious cocktails up a weird alley.

2) The Blue Bowl, near Chew Magna. Lots of childhood memories, going there next weekend for my parents to meet my boyfriend's parents.

3) The Gun, Isle of Dogs. Only been once, the day I moved in to my first London flat, but the view is brilliant across the Thames to the Dome.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I couldn't rank them, but:
  • Cumberland Arms, Byker, Newcastle. Good music, good beer, good views, just a lovely place to spend an evening.
  • Bree Louise, Euston, London. I think we all know this one. I wasn't always distraught at London Midland's incompetence, having to spend the Delay Repay money on beer in here.
  • Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria. Proper nice Lakeland boozer, owned by the village as a co-operative, the beer is from the brewery (also owned by a village co-operative) round the back.
  • Free Trade Inn, Ouseburn, Newcastle. That view. Also the beer. But that view. Probably the best beer garden in the country.
  • Three Pigeons, HalifaxAn Ossett Brewery pub, excellent beer, but the original 30s art deco interior is absolutely gorgeous.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I have been in the first 4 of Richmondcommuter's pubs, and I agree they are well worth a visit.

Mine would be:
  • Crown Posada, Side, Newcastle - first visited in 1978 (1st year at uni), been many times since
  • Black Friar, opposite Blackfriars station, London - lovely marblework
  • Whitelocks, Leeds - far too crowded for it's own good
  • The Philharmonic, Liverpool - beer is not so great but the architecture is immense
  • The Abbotsford, Rose Street, Edinburgh - former Jenner's staff canteen

If I'm in the vicinity, I always go to these pubs, and has chance would have it I'll be in Newcastle next weekend. Will probably also visit the Free Trade too

Spamcan81

In no particular order
The Engineers Arms, Henlow. With up to 10 cask ales and five ciders/perrys at any one time, it's a beer festival every day of the week.
The Lion, Blakey Ridge. On top of the North Yorkshire Moors in splendid isolation. Huge meals and great ale. A good place to stay.
The York Tap. A ever changing selection of interesting micro brewery ales.
Die Berliner Republik, Berlin. Quirky bar with a good range of German beer and good food.
Railwayman's Arms, Bridgnorth. Real ale and steam trains. What's not to like?

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Clachaig, Glencoe. Nothing else comes close :D In my humble opinion, of course. ;)

Something of a sprawling complex since its' re-invention in 1984, with no less than three bars: The more formal lounge, and associated beer garden, with stunning mountain views towards Bidean nam Bian, and the no-nonsense walkers bar and snug popular with climbers and hikers due to its' location, featuring stone flag floors, alpine style wood panelling and roaring wood burning stoves which are kept burning for the six (or so!) months of the year when it is cold enough to do so: Excellent for drying out soaking walking boots and jackets! There are up to fourteen superbly kept real ales, sourced almost exclusively from Highland Scottish brewers; Fraoch Heather Ale, River Leven IPA, Cairngorm Wildcat and one or other from the Loch Ness brewery staple (commonly the HoppyNESS) are regulars, alongside other guests from the two latter named breweries as well as the likes of Skye Ales. A recent addition as a regular feature is Thistly Cross cider, brewed in Dunbar, and they also claim to stock something like 300 different whiskies.

Having said that, I would also like to strongly recommend the Navigation Inn at Buxworth (Derbyshire), the Riverhead Tap at Marsden, the Golden Fleece at Haworth and the York Tap.
The first three so named all display a sort of easy going, down to earth atmosphere that has as much to do with the bonhomie of the managers and bar staff as the décor and seating, all seem well patronised by a range of customers at most times of the day, and in the Navvy and the Fleece I can reliably expect to be served an excellent pint of Landlord. :D The Riverhead, of course, brews it's own range of superb ales on site, as well as selling products from the Ossett Brewery range.

The York Tap is simply a great place to enjoy what can be relied upon to be a very well kept pint of decent, northern bitter in light, airy and stunningly restored surroundings. Since it opened it has always been my first port of call, without question, whenever I step off a train in York, and usually the last before I board another one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.