• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Railway Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh last summer, went on the evening train & the last bit of the run into KoL was especially stunning - well worth the night in the bus shelter! Glasgow-London on the 13:40 Pendolino was a blast too, loved the tilting stretches post-Lichfield-ish

Penzance - Paddington - another one from last summer, on the same ALR as above and on the night riviera, first mainline diesel loco-haulage for years (probably since about 1998 with the Birmingham-Holyhead 37's in fact, many good journeys between Stafford and Birmingham/Crewe on those)

Glasgow-Oban-Glasgow - July 2006, day out in Oban on one of the hottest days of the year, great ride out

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chefchenko

rocky mountaineer from vancouver to calgary with overnight in kamloops was special !! fantastic service,wildlife and stunning scenery :p

In the uk i recently did a return on the caley sleeper from crewe to aviemore for the first time, i really enjoyed going north, i was asleep within 10 minutes(helped by a few pints!) and waking up to the mountains north of perth was great, the return was not quite so nice,knock on the door and cuppa at warrington haha

My favorite has to be the SPT Daytrippers 2 or 3 years ago when had some of my favorite trains on the Fast lines mostly Ayrshire Coast Lines and Inverclyde and sometimes North Clyde when used to take

314 or 318 Glasgow-Weymss Bay
314 or 318 Glasgow-Gourock
318 Glasgow-Ayr
318 Glasgow-Largs
320 Glasgow-helensburgh Central

but not the same now with 334s and 380s

steamybrian

Established Member
Switzerland/Italy
St.Moritz (Switzerland)- Tirano(Italy) over the Bernina Pass
Steep gradients, u bends spirals and a finale of the railway running along the main street of a village.!
Need a head for heights because the highest point at Alp Grun is awesome!

Established Member
a sleeper train from Vienna to Paris. I was in my late teens and was romanced!

I'm not surprised that journey was a favourite, If that happened to me on the Tyne and Wear metro between Gateshead and Seaburn, it'd be my favourite journey too:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously though the run from about Durham - Edinburgh is a nice enough run and quite scenic, even better, if you have some decent traction hauling you. When it was a loco hauled turn, I'd travel on the S & C regularly on North Eatern Rangers, the S & C, is quite simply a stunning and a picturesque line.

Last edited:

DiscoStu

New Delhi to Varanasi in India.... speeding through the countryside during senset with all the train doors and windows wide open (sitting with my arm out of the window like a truck driver, listening to my iPod :D), then wake mid morning to find a huge ALCO diesel thrashing away up front.

Athens to Thessaloniki, back when all the trains were hauled by huge, very loud diesels. Great scenery too.

Paris to Lisbon on the Sud Express.

Ivo

Established Member
Basically a culmination of every journey I undertook in the middle of May last year (Saturday 14th to Thursday 19th). The ones that stand out are Birmingham to Carlisle (first time on the S&C), Belfast to Carrickfergus (cab ride), and Belfast to Whitehead and back (80 Class).

Returning from a "holiday" in Hastings (travelling in a Guard's Van and getting to pull the "chain" at Pitsea (?)), Liskeard to St Ives and back (first HST, St Ives Bay line, etc) and several of my University interview journeys also stand out.

Requeststop

What is your favourite single railway journey ever and why? What journeys do you have the best memories of, what route/stock/etc. and what made it so good.
Adam :D

Can I be allowed a further reply? In terms of route, I would love to do 2 journeys that were organised rather than enforced on me. Because of engineering and problems with wires, I have had extended journeys over lines never covered and never been on since.

First, Edinburgh-St. Erth via WCML. Got to Lancaster and reversed to Carnforth, Helifield, Clitheroe, Preston. (downed wires) then to Birminham New Street, Bristol TM, and asked to board a train to Reading. At reading put in a sleeper down the Berks and Hants back home to St.Erth.

Second, Night milk train Paddington-St.Erth. Diverted at Didcot to Oxford, Worcester, Hereford, (avoided Newport) Severn Tunnel Junction, then Bristol TM to home.

If someone would like to pay me for those journeys again, I'd not grumble. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.