• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Station to Interchange at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nean

I'd have to go with Manchester Piccadilly, I find the information screens quite accurate normally and the station is normally clean and the staff have been friendly and helpful. Coupled with the New (well... early 2000s) Style It's quite light inside... Also there's no confounded ticket barriers (looking at you leeds) and a massive range of shops... I've even been to the pub in there whilst waiting with a friend for a connection (Do not recommend it... Service station like prices). The metrolink is also quite nice if I need it. They also have a nice habit of keeping the TOCs grouped to certain platforms which helps significantly with my more frequent journeys...

One or two of the disadvantages is the distance from the main concourse to platforms 13&14 and the occasional ticket "spot checks" which are a devil when you're not expecting them and laden with luggage (with known stations I tend to keep the tickets in an easier pocket or have them ready before I get off the train). Also It's the nearest set of shops to some of the University halls (Specifically Wright Robinson) and the main piccadilly bus station is a tramride/decent walk away which can be annoying at times...

junglejames

Established Member
Birmingham New St- Plenty of trains. Not usually a problem if you miss one. Plenty of shops both inside and out. Bit dull on the platforms, but what do you expect.

Dovey Jnc- For totally the opposite reasons! What a fantastic little station.

Lancaster- Lovely station, with the grand old Gaol looking down on you. Nice city centre.

Lukeo2311

Moorfields in Liverpool, the reason being I love climb up and out the tunnels on the 507/8s and I have a soft spot for noise they make in the tunnel sections of the loop and link

cuccir

Established Member
Carlisle. Lots going on rail-wise, nice little info-boards for the Tyne Valley and Settle-Carlisle lines to read over, short walk to shops and decent good value cafes if needed or a couple of places to pick up a coffee at the station, and not too big!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Lewes. A lovely station nestled quite comfortably in the town with oodles of character, warm and comfortable waiting rooms, and a wonderful station café: "The Runaway".

TheEdge

Established Member
Paddington. If I can go via Paddington I will. As London terminals go it is fairly unspoilt. Like to imagine the Kings and Castles under that roof!

Buttsy

Established Member
Crianlarich. Views spectacular and great tea room.
Inverness. Lovely station and nice wide concourse
Sheffield. The Tap
Carnforth. Brief Encounter

SS4

Established Member
Aston - There is a lot to be said for same platform interchange even if it's at the cost of time
Oxford Circus Tube - The next best thing being a cross platform interchange
Birmingham New Street - Plenty to do although it's rare I change here as opposed to starting or ending a journey

Everyone on the Glasgow North Clyde / Argyle lines changes trains at Partick. I prefer the next station: Hyndland.

overtonchris

For me it's Basingstoke. Being periodically mobility impaired many of the changes from my local station are either same platform or cross-platform, and I've never found the very decent lifts vandalised / out of order. In addition, the staff on the Customer Information desks on Plat 2/3 are superb AND if you happen to have to wait a while for a connection there are plenty of seats - and often frequent freights to spot / photo!!

SN319

Yes, this must be one of the best.

Was at Lewes one cold winter night last year. Personally found the station quite dull and boring. Also dark. Must admit had good signage to local places etc... Though.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
But *very* cold when the wind gets up.
Too right there! But at least Lewes has heated waiting rooms to warm yourself up in, unlike Eastbourne or Hampden Park.

Plus Eastbourne at night is as grim as anything.

Was at Lewes one cold winter night last year. Personally found the station quite dull and boring. Also dark. Must admit had good signage to local places etc... Though.
On a cold winter's night, even the splendour of St Pancras can seem dull and boring! I agree the lighting could definitely be better though.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Carlisle. Lots going on rail-wise, nice little info-boards for the Tyne Valley and Settle-Carlisle lines to read over, short walk to shops and decent good value cafes if needed or a couple of places to pick up a coffee at the station, and not too big!

Totally Agree - a Fantastic station in a truly wonderful City, I have a lot of time and special place in my heart for both!↲

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Agree totally with Lewes and Lancaster, a couple of my favourite stations. I don't know how often the buffet is open, but it could do with staying open a long time and serving good ale (same with Lancaster as it happens) but it has plenty of charm and character architecturally (and many happy memories of hopping between CIG's in my youth).

Lancaster, I like watching the main line expresses go by whilst waiting for a trip across the hills to Yorkshire, or even towards Barrow.

I also agree with York and Sheffield for the reasons stated by other posters ;)

I've always liked the Victoria's, although the Manchester one is less enticing now that it looks like a building site. London Vic , I love arriving under the splendid Chatham side trainshed for a slow pootle back to deepest Kent, and the Iron Duke's a good stop off for a pint.

Someone mentioned Eastbourne. Always loved it architecturally, Although I can't remember many occasions in the last few years when I'd have to interchange there. (I remember being kicked off of a BIG and crammed onto the crowded front unit to be detached to Hastings in NSE days - does this count as an interchange ?).

Kite159

Veteran Member
For me it's Basingstoke. Being periodically mobility impaired many of the changes from my local station are either same platform or cross-platform, and I've never found the very decent lifts vandalised / out of order. In addition, the staff on the Customer Information desks on Plat 2/3 are superb AND if you happen to have to wait a while for a connection there are plenty of seats - and often frequent freights to spot / photo!!

Agreed, I've spent many periods sat on P2 waiting for the Salisbury stopper

kevconnor

I also agree with York and Sheffield for the reasons stated by other posters ;)

I've always liked the Victoria's, although the Manchester one is less enticing now that it looks like a building site. London Vic , I love arriving under the splendid Chatham side trainshed for a slow pootle back to deepest Kent, and the Iron Duke's a good stop off for a pint.

It would certainly be nice if, once the redevelopment is complete. a proper brewery could take over the refreshment room at MCV and turn it into a nice place to go with a good selection of proper pints. Architecturally the former refreshment room is as good as any other on the rail network but is let down but the current offering.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It would certainly be nice if, once the redevelopment is complete. a proper brewery could take over the refreshment room at MCV and turn it into a nice place to go with a good selection of proper pints. Architecturally the former refreshment room is as good as any other on the rail network but is let down but the current offering.

Indeed. Would be splendid for a "Tap" !

HowardGWR

Established Member
Well one thing is certain - it's not Newport (Mon) - see separate thread!

Parallel

Established Member
I have only ever changed at: Bath, Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway (rail replacement bus), Birmingham New Street, Preston, Newport, Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street, Shrewsbury, Westbury, Wolverhampton, Dovey Junction and Machynlleth (I don't need to travel north or east much)

The nicest places to change are probably Bath (however it never ceases to amaze me how many people get on Portsmouth/Weymouth trains thinking they go to London) and I find Cardiff Central quite an easy place to change too (even if the station is a little ropey). I also like Dovey Junction for its remoteness and Machynlleth for its friendly staff and well kept station. Wolverhampton was probably my least favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.