• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Besides the obvious, I'm rather fond of Taunton, Exeter Central and Ormskirk. Nottingham, Aberystwyth, Shrewsbury and Surbiton get honourable mentions.

Out of interest why Ormskirk? It's a station very familiar to me (probably my second most-used station in my lifetime) but it isn't really anything special, though it is nicer post-refurb, as it was when I was a kid it didn't even have public toilets (the original gents urinals were there but were locked and for staff use only), though the fairly manky ones at the bus station aren't far away. The town is nice, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lockwood

My favourites used to be Havant and Bedhampton. This was because once I was at either of them, I only had a short walk home.

They aren't my favourites now, since I moved.

urbophile

Established Member
Edge Hill (a disgrace to the railway) can't think of anymore but i'm sure there are plenty.
As one of the oldest stations (if not the oldest) in the country still in use, it does deserve to be better looked after. But the early 19th century architecture is graceful and characterful. Like most stations first out from a major terminal, it has a slight sense of being overlooked by those heading for greater things – compare Manors, Westbourne Park as was, and (more than slight) Ardwick. The area it serves is rather run down though improving; and the access ramp from the street is dispiriting. But it could be revived; it would be much better served and used if Merseyrail took it over.

As for favourite stations, there are too many! But my local Cressington deserves a mention: Victorian gothic like a country vicarage or a school. One of my favourite large stations is (London) Waterloo, which doesn't seem all that popular but to me is full of urban bustle and despite (like most city termini) being now half shopping mall is still identifiably a railway station, unlike Euston or those dreary stations like Charing Cross and Victoria that have built over the platforms. York and Newcastle deserve to be in the top half dozen too. As for Art Deco/ modern, Surbiton has been mentioned: there's also Wimbledon and Richmond. Of course the Holden Piccadilly Line stations, Sudbury Town, Arnos Grove etc. And Merseyrail's (well, the LMS really) homage to these, Hoylake.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As one of the oldest stations (if not the oldest) in the country still in use, it does deserve to be better looked after. But the early 19th century architecture is graceful and characterful. Like most stations first out from a major terminal, it has a slight sense of being overlooked by those heading for greater things – compare Manors, Westbourne Park as was, and (more than slight) Ardwick. The area it serves is rather run down though improving; and the access ramp from the street is dispiriting. But it could be revived; it would be much better served and used if Merseyrail took it over.

As for favourite stations, there are too many! But my local Cressington deserves a mention: Victorian gothic like a country vicarage or a school. One of my favourite large stations is (London) Waterloo, which doesn't seem all that popular but to me is full of urban bustle and despite (like most city termini) being now half shopping mall is still identifiably a railway station, unlike Euston or those dreary stations like Charing Cross and Victoria that have built over the platforms. York and Newcastle deserve to be in the top half dozen too. As for Art Deco/ modern, Surbiton has been mentioned: there's also Wimbledon and Richmond. Of course the Holden Piccadilly Line stations, Sudbury Town, Arnos Grove etc. And Merseyrail's (well, the LMS really) homage to these, Hoylake.

Very fond of Waterloo too !

In terms of London Vic, it should be remembered that the arched roof over the Chatham lines remains in all its glory.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Edge Hill is classic Liverpool "used to be grand but now a bit run down", there are plenty of buildings like that throughout the city, sadly.

pitdiver

Favourite: London Marylebone, London Blackfriars, Norwich, Brighton, York, Great Malvern, Liverpool Lime Street, Bristol Temple Meads and Shrewsbury

Least Favourite: I'm not entirely sure; I can't say that I enjoy changing at Moor Park (tube), Gatwick Airport or Birmingham New Street but I wouldn't say that the stations themselves are particularly bad.
Whats wrong with Moor Park. It was alright when I worked there.

Llandudno

Established Member
Deganwy, is there a better view from the platform?

Conwy estuary, Conwy Castle, Carneddau Mountain range and even a manual signal box!

A S Leib

Whats wrong with Moor Park. It was alright when I worked there.
I don't really have anything against the station from an architectural point of view; it's that most of the time the Amersham / Chesham trains leave a minute before trains from Watford get there.

Alex27

Personally I really like Leamington Spa, it a lovely GWR brown and cream station with an art deco feel to parts of it.

Not a fan of winnersh triangle :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Out of interest why Ormskirk? It's a station very familiar to me (probably my second most-used station in my lifetime) but it isn't really anything special, though it is nicer post-refurb, as it was when I was a kid it didn't even have public toilets (the original gents urinals were there but were locked and for staff use only), though the fairly manky ones at the bus station aren't far away. The town is nice, though.
Mostly sentimental reasons as I studied at Edge Hill. But I also like the contrast of it being a quiet little rural branchline terminus and also the terminus of a proto-S-bahn line. Also in my memories of using Ormskirk the sun is always shining for some reason!

By architecture, I think it'd have to be Bristol TM, though Paddington a close second - the GWR really did these things well. Though in terms of passenger experience it's rather poor, with a dingy subway and poor retail facilities. Honourable mention for St Pancras but the modern bits don't really fit that well.

By passenger experience, Manchester Piccadilly or the tarted-up Kings Cross probably equal.

Worst...well, I suppose it'd be some suburban shack at the back of an industrial estate with a tin shed for a waiting shelter with a Class 150 every couple of hours (Chassen Road and Trafford/Humphrey Park must be close), but if we're talking major stations Manchester Victoria is a dump. I don't share the dislike of New St, as while the platforms are grim the facilities are superb.
Favourite Manchester Vic, Huddersfield, St Pancreas for the architecture.
I Know Victoria through platforms are cramped and smell of diesel, The lighting is poor and there is no chance of adding more through platforms. What about the positives?. Better trains, More destinations, Light airy Concourse, Better retail outlets,
Restored architectural features[Ticket Office- War memorial etc]. People tend to forget that the Victoria I remember in the 70/80s was very run down.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
+ves of Man Vic ? Superb buildings, decent ticket office, decent loos, you can always get a cuppa, always dry.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Morfa Mawddach for the stunning views, Helsby, the junction and nice sandstone station buildings, West Kirby, mini terminus, Bromley North for same reason, Birmingham Moor Street for feeling you have gone back in time, Liverpool James St for same reason. London Marylebone, I find the most pleasant of London station, with a great cheap Italian cafe opposite for lunch.

Parallel

Established Member
I quite like some of the Southern stations along the West Coastway line, e.g. Hove. The colour scheme of quite light/pastel colours and the light flooding in from the glass canopies makes it quite a pleasant place to wait for trains, especially in good weather.

Llanaber is another favourite, due to its proximity to the sea.

I also really like Leamington Spa due to the classic heritage feel.

Although it's not my favourite, I quite like Paisley Gilmour Street, although it is on the draughty side but I find the roof/canopy stunning.

chefchenko

Glasgow central is just fab to arrive at it has such atmosphere!!! Also love York, Bristol TM, Paddington and fave little station is castle Cary , hate Euston and new st , also like Stoke - on-Trent with it NS railway architecture

tel

Morfa Mawddach for the stunning views, Helsby, the junction and nice sandstone station buildings, West Kirby, mini terminus, Bromley North for same reason, Birmingham Moor Street for feeling you have gone back in time, Liverpool James St for same reason. London Marylebone, I find the most pleasant of London station, with a great cheap Italian cafe opposite for lunch.
Are the semaphores still at Helsby? remember them well used to be a great station for freight and photos.

tel

Last edited:
Lancaster the best for me. It has a great atmosphere with great staff. Looks pretty damn nice in Summer, too.
The worst one would be Hag Fold. Nothing but a wooden stage in the middle of a run down area. Depressing

scotrail158713

Established Member
I have to agree with previous posts suggesting Glasgow Central. I don’t actually get there often, as if I’m travelling to Glasgow it’s from Edinburgh so I’d go to Queen Street. But Central is without doubt a lovely station.

Class800

Established Member
Glasgow Central is lovely architecturally - but there's some real radgies on the staff! For anyone not versed in Scottish terminology, this refers to people who are aggressive and unhelpful - jobsworth but worse than that!

Tomos y Tanc

I agree with a lot of previous posts but have a couple more to throw in the mix.

The booking hall at Cardiff Central is lovely, a rare piece of 1930s art deco railway architecture. Pity one can't say the same about the platforms!

The grimmest terminus on the network has to be Merthyr Tydfil. The railway just sort of peters out at a single platform sandwiched in between a grim shopping centre and a Tesco car park.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I agree with a lot of previous posts but have a couple more to throw in the mix.

The booking hall at Cardiff Central is lovely, a rare piece of 1930s art deco railway architecture. Pity one can't say the same about the platforms!

The grimmest terminus on the network has to be Merthyr Tydfil. The railway just sort of peters out at a single platform sandwiched in between a grim shopping centre and a Tesco car park.

Agree about Cardiff Central, but definitely like the platform canopies as well !

Parallel

Established Member
Severn Beach is also grim. Overgrown with brambles and loads of fly tipped rubbish last time I was there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Lancaster the best for me. It has a great atmosphere with great staff. Looks pretty damn nice in Summer, too.

Yes, I have a soft spot for Lancaster too (the station and the city). Interestingly if you look at old pictures the station has barely changed (and nor, to be fair, have large chunks of the city - most of it is Victorian or older). It's in some ways a somewhat less cosmopolitan mini-Edinburgh, particularly given that almost everything is stone-built.

I also quite like Carlisle (the station and the city).

The worst one would be Hag Fold. Nothing but a wooden stage in the middle of a run down area. Depressing

There's a lot of those "cheapo stations" around the North West. Trafford and Humphrey Park and a few on the Hadfield line to name two more.

Llandudno

Established Member
Yes, I have a soft spot for Lancaster too (the station and the city). Interestingly if you look at old pictures the station has barely changed (and nor, to be fair, have large chunks of the city - most of it is Victorian or older). It's in some ways a somewhat less cosmopolitan mini-Edinburgh, particularly given that almost everything is stone-built.

I also quite like Carlisle (the station and the city).

There's a lot of those "cheapo stations" around the North West. Trafford and Humphrey Park and a few on the Hadfield line to name two more.
I don’t mind ‘cheapo’ stations if it helps with the initial business case of opening/reopening a station. Once patronage is proven, then improve it.

But we seem to have to over engineer every new station these days, £8m for Bow Street!

Right Away

Being located in Western Region territory, my views will be somewhat skewed in favour of that area. St Erth is my favourite. Mentions also for Avoncliff, Wemyss Bay, Exeter St Davids, Yatton and Marylebone.

Trowbridge station is awful. In the 1980s, BR very hastily demolished the lovely station buildings, canopies, footbridge (thankfully since re-erected at Washford) and goods shed causing a local outcry. The replacement building and subsequent bus shelters are the polar opposite from this and coupled with the adjacent wasteland of the former Bowyers factory create a very poor first impression for arrivals at the county town.

I am sure my opinion will change once the roof has been refurbished, however at present I find Bristol Temple Meads station lacking. For a major station, platform level is awful. There is one staffed passenger information point hidden on platform 3 with nothing on any other platform. There are no facilities at all for passengers on the western end platforms. The roof and canopies leak. Sit on a bench on the platform and you are at great risk of being defecated on by a pigeon or seagull.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Llandudno, Dovey Junction and Conwy I very much like in Wales.

I’ve always liked Bingley station in Yorkshire. Also nice is Kyle of Lochalsh.

I have to say, pretty much anything with a single platform I find quite quaint and pleasant to wait at.

Status
Not open for further replies.