• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite stretch of line in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Am I being the first sentimental one here and saying the line home?

Nice view over the Humber Estuary as well, especially with no carriage lights on...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harlesden

Does anybody like the Barnetby-Grimsby Town stretch? Until I get a job, London-Grimsby remains my sole occasional travel treat. My route may vary - via Doncaster or via Lincoln - but both routes merge at Barnetby.

Whistler40145

Established Member
How about Barnsley-Huddersfield via Penistone, Preston-Bradford Interchange, Manchester-Huddersfield via Marsden & Manchester Victoria-Bradford Interchange via Rochdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich_D3167

Does anybody like the Barnetby-Grimsby Town stretch? Until I get a job, London-Grimsby remains my sole occasional travel treat. My route may vary - via Doncaster or via Lincoln - but both routes merge at Barnetby.

I'd say the opposite for the route between Barnetby & Doncaster! Via Lincoln isn't a bad route at all as you skirt the Lincolnshire Wolds, but via Scunthorpe is dull! It's flat, slow, and with the exception of Scunthorpe steelworks, there isn't anything along the route which stands out to look out to.

Of all the lines i've travelled along in the UK (not everyone, so it may change!), my personal favourite is the West Highland Line from Glasgo to Fort William & Mallaig (Oban can be included as well). May not be the fastest route in the world, but the scenery along the route more than makes up for it.

dangie

Established Member
If only for the reason I'm near home, the Chase Line between Hednesford and Rugeley Town. It means the awful journey from Birmingham New Street is nearly over.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Am I being the first sentimental one here and saying the line home?

I hadn't actually thought of that, but whenever Lincoln Cathedral comes into view I know I'm home - no matter where I've been. The longer the journey, the more welcome the site seems.

You get a good view on all lines into and out of Lincoln at some point! :)

Nym

Established Member
I hadn't actually thought of that, but whenever Lincoln Cathedral comes into view I know I'm home - no matter where I've been. The longer the journey, the more welcome the site seems.

You get a good view on all lines into and out of Lincoln at some point! :)

For me (Either on the train or the A63) it's when the Humber Br. comes into view, although that bridge holds some nice memories too... But lets not go there.

FenMan

Established Member
The North Downs Line east of Shalford, heading though the Surrey Hills. So near to London, yet so far.

Reading to Didcot on a bright spring morning can be very pleasant too.

lancastrian

My favourite is the Settle and Carlisle line, a magnificent route. A close second is the Peak Line from Chinley to Ambergate, I have only travelled on the now open parts, but I have walked the rest. Both ex Midland lines, they knew how to build a decent railway.

the only line that could compete with those two is the Somerset and Dorset line from Bath to Bournemouth, never traveled on it, but seen many pictures and films of it. I hope that the work of the New Somerset & Dorset Railway people manage to reopen it before I die. I have already travele don the short bits south of Midsomer Norton, cannot wait for the extension.

JD68

My favourite is the branch from Standsted Airport ;). I always take the train from this airport for my annual pleasure trip to London.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Nice pleasant line, last time I travelled this line it was with a pair of 73s on Diesel, except one wouldn't start at Guildford, so we had a rather slow journey to Redhill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnm

Established Member
the severn beach line is a good mix of varying landscape. Some beautiful scenery towards the middle, as you pass through the avon gorge, towering dockside industrial structures at avonmouth, and the expanse of the severn crossing and bleak open fields as you approach severn beach.

+1. ;):D

Andyjs247

It's hard to pick a single stretch; we are blessed with such a variety of landscapes in this country so there really is something for everyone.

Some of my favourite lines would include Dingwall - Kyle of Lochalsh; Fort William - Mallaig; also the route along the Clyde from about Bowling then climbing from Craigendoran through Helensburgh all the way up to Crianlarich. As has been mentioned already the run along the east coast from Berwick - Dunbar and Forth Bridge all the way to Aberdeen especially when sat on the seaward side of the train.

Further south the Cambrian coast line between Dovey Junction and Porthmadog; Settle - Carlisle and Dawlish Warren all the way to Penzance are all interesting. Penmaenmawr - Llandudno Junction is another nice coastal stretch, and also Gloucester - Chepstow. For some reason I've always quite liked the Banbury - Oxford and Didcot - Reading sections (the latter always feels faster than other stretches I think).

I also like the Gunnislake branch, which always seems incredibly twisty though a real shame I had to travel in a 153!

ModChod

Already mentioned on the first page, but I do like the Golden Valley (Swindon - Gloucester) line, it is especially picturesque through Chalford.

Pe251lz

My all time favourite is the Cambrian Coast line. I've been fascinated by the line since the early 80's. First viewing the line from the bridge that sliced the Butlins camp in two as a young lad on holiday.
I've often travelled the line in the last ten years from Minffordd to Harlech (a handy passing loop station for smokers), Barmouth (not forgetting the wonderful bridge) & Machynlleth but this Christmas was something else!*
The experience of the spray from the sea splashing the train as it crawled along the sea wall at Llanber & the stormy high tide battering the coast wasn't a synchronisation of the train timetable with the tide table & a keen eye on the weather at all. It was pure luck.
Incidentally, I've noticed new signage along the line since last year & speeds signs with darkened faces. I read an article saying speed signage should no longer be required after the new signalling system was implemented. Has this decision been changed?*

Requeststop

Exeter St. Davids to Newton Abbot would be top if it was for the fact it's in Devon (spits on the floor). It's the first indication for me that I'm headed homeward.
Next would be the view of Truro Cathedral as you enter from the east.

Ultimately though the section of UK line that gets my heart thumping and a huge lump im my throat is St. Erth to St.Ives. If the tide of the Hayle river is in at Lelant Saltings and Lelant, (Request Stop and Home station) there is not a better view. Passing onwards through the cutting and out to the view of St Ives bay, and Porthkidney sands and seeing St. Ives harbour and Island to the north west and Godrevey Island to the north east, there is nothing better no matter the weather - glorious sunshine or force 7-9 gale. The light, the colour, the view. Nothing within the UK can ever beat it.

Last edited:

Brighton Bill

Locally I like the East Coastway line between Willingdon Jn and Bo-Peep Jn; the seaside views are nice and there are still some semaphores!

I also like the Cambrian Coast Line very much, but have not travelled on it since the days of electric token block. Others I like are the usual suspects; S&C, WHL and probably my overall favourite, the Kyle Line.

LE Greys

Established Member
The Didcot main demonstration line. Why? Because it's the very first place where I drove a steam engine, a Pannier Tank.

Other than that, basically anything between Helweth Bridge and Armathwaite, or beyond Helensburgh Upper, or perhaps north of the River Ness. If I was driving, Northallerton-York with a light load and no speed limit (ideally in 1938 on the Silver Jubilee).

ChristopherJ

I enjoy the East Coastway route between Hastings and Brighton, parallel to the coast and through the Ouse valley, after Lewes it becomes rather suburban for the remainder of the distance to Brighton but the London Road viaduct is one final treat before the end of the journey.

Locally I like the East Coastway line between Willingdon Jn and Bo-Peep Jn; the seaside views are nice and there are still some semaphores!

Just saw your post above, great minds think alike. :)

robschopper

My all time favourite is the Cambrian Coast line.

Incidentally, I've noticed new signage along the line since last year & speeds signs with darkened faces. I read an article saying speed signage should no longer be required after the new signalling system was implemented. Has this decision been changed?*

New speed signs are for when ... and unfortunately, not if ... the ERTMS fails. Drivers would no longer have the appropriate speed displayed in the cab, so the signs are to remind them.

Also, the speeds are in kilometres per hour .... we're part of Europe know, you know!!

Status
Not open for further replies.