• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC: First Class Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
I need an answer within an hour, so if I nobody has replied by then don't bother because I won't get a chance to read it!

I have a Standard Anytime ticket for First Capital Connect, which I intend to use tonight from Potters Bar to Letchworth. I would like to upgrade it to First Class. If I want to upgrade, do I have to buy a new ticket altogether, or can I just go to the ticket office and pay the difference?

Thanks! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
Not sure why you would want to upgrade-pretty much no difference between standard and first, especially on a short run like that-won't be a 313 though-they only go to letchworth via the loop.

philjo

Established Member
In the evening peak you have to change going northbound at WGC as there is no direct service from Potters Bar.
Potters Bar to WGC will either be 313s or 317/321 - most of those particular services that terminate at WGC I think are declassified anyway.
(My morning southbound service that starts at letchworth is a declassifed 317.)
You will get a 317 or 321 from WGC to Letchworth.

I do this journey every day - I wouldn't bother upgrading!

island

Veteran Member
Can't see a reason to go first class on FCC; all you get is a slightly higher chance of getting a seat plus some antimacassars (sp) on your seat back.

HST Power

Established Member
I chose to upgrade for a number of reasons:

1) I get a service to Cambridge which is run by a 365 Networker, therefore there is hardly any danger of not getting First Class accomodation, as there would be if I travelled on a 317 or 313, for example.

2) I get this train at least twice a month and it is always very, very busy, even though it is an off peak train. I like to have a seat and somewhere quiet, where I can work. Yes, it is only a short distance to travel but nonetheless I would rather have a seat and use the time usefully rather than stand around and do nothing for forty five minutes.

3) I wasn't the only person who chose to go First; I sat in the rear carriage last night and there were four other people in there with me, all of whom were also using the compartment to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.