• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC Trainee train driver assessment and interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

I'm just wondering, how will you be able to get into work if there is no car parking facilities at the depo?

syva

ok i will
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Happy new year guy, pls i need 10 railforum guys to give me 4 likely questions and answers each on mechanical assessment in any given TOC

Is mechanics included in your first assessment day with FCC???? The reason why I ask is because previously you mentioned that it includes only DFFT driver fault findings test,trainability test,cordination test, reaction test and structural interview.

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Syva, not sure, but with Northern Rail all assessments were done on the 1st day EXCEPT for the reaction one (BopIt is great practise for this) and the structured interview. You've had some excellent advice on other threads about the day, so practise hard and good luck!

syva

Hi Syva, not sure, but with Northern Rail all assessments were done on the 1st day EXCEPT for the reaction one (BopIt is great practise for this) and the structured interview. You've had some excellent advice on other threads about the day, so practise hard and good luck!

What training material would you suggest. What do you think about this http://www.how2become.co.uk/products/train-driver-tests/

Thanks,,,

LCC106

Established Member
Have a look at post number 12 on this thread (and 2 and 3 too). These should help. I DID find the How2 book useful. All worth the investment if it helps secure the job! May be worth searching for the word "psychometric" in other threads too for other useful posts.

renik

syva there is NO mechanical question in it, the 1st day is Dfft, trainability test and cordination test Gb, if successful probable following week u get to sit for reaction test and structural interview. i hope this will help.

syva

syva there is NO mechanical question in it, the 1st day is Dfft, trainability test and cordination test Gb, if successful probable following week u get to sit for reaction test and structural interview. i hope this will help.

Thanks for clarification,,,,

barrykas

Established Member
I'm just wondering, how will you be able to get into work if there is no car parking facilities at the depo?

Public transport. Hence why it says you need to live within 90 minutes of the depot by PT if you apply for Kings Cross or Blackfriars. ;)

I'd guess the parking situation at Hornsey is slightly better if you're on the GN side and get a shift starting there though.

Cheers,

Barry

trent900

Hi All

New to this site, but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts over all the various threads since deciding to submit an application with FCC. Congratulations to those who've made it through to the assessment / interview stage... I'm still waiting to hear... and its killing me!

I applied at the beginning of November for the Brighton depot and have been 'awaiting shortlisting' since then.

Does anyone have any info? For instance, how many trainee drivers are they looking at for Brighton? If any?! Do they process applications in date order? Depot preference? I'm hoping that no news is good news, either that or they haven't got to my application yet. PMA!

For those going to assessments - best of luck! Any feedback on what the day entails would be great. Hopefully I will be hearing either way very soon.

:)

LCC106

Established Member
Hi trent900. I can't comment on your post location specifically, but yes, I can empathise with the fact that the wait is nearly killing you - it is a tough waiting game! It was for me, right through to medical results. PMA is right. It sounds like you really want this and I know I keep banging on on various threads, but I suggest you start reading up and practising for the assessment centre is you aren't already doing so. Fingers crossed...

syva

Good luck tomorrow,,,,,,

Mattf

Hi all, I would suggest practising the group bourdon test (concentration test) as much as possible, I had the assessment yesterday and failed on that, never even made it to the afternoon sit, so if you can find anything on the net to help do it, I could not find anything myself.
I am very disappointed about failing because I done so well on everything else, i thought I was a perfect match but hay ho !!!!
Also in the first assessment its split into 2 sessions, Morning & Afternoon, in the morning you sit the group bourdon test, then you will sit the TRP test ( trainability tset ) which consist's of them playing an audio cd which relates to an information sheet, then you will have 5 mins to read the information sheet and they collect them off you, but they will take their time in collecting them. After about ten minutes or so you will have 8 minutes to answer 43 question ( or 48 ) relating to the information you read. Then after that its the dials test, which dial gets checked relating to priority. If you pass all these you get through the to afternoon session which consists of another concentration test ( which is SCAAT, correct me if that's pronounced wrong ) then the final test will be the DFFT, Driver Fault Finding Test.
There was no Mechanical Comprehension test, i belive this is not done any more !!!
Any way good luck to all that try for it !
Hope this helps in some way

P.S Make sure you have a full driving licence or a provisional with cbt ( which i think is accepted ) as if you don't you will just be sent home, don't waste your time.
Matt

EDIT* Sorry Syva never noticed you posted the procedure !!
Also we was told there was something like 64000 hits on that fcc job advert !

Last edited:

syva

Hi all, I would suggest practising the group bourdon test (concentration test) as much as possible, I had the assessment yesterday and failed on that, never even made it to the afternoon sit, so if you can find anything on the net to help do it, I could not find anything myself.
I am very disappointed about failing because I done so well on everything else, i thought I was a perfect match but hay ho !!!!
Also in the first assessment its split into 2 sessions, Morning & Afternoon, in the morning you sit the group bourdon test, then you will sit the TRP test ( trainability tset ) which consist's of them playing an audio cd which relates to an information sheet, then you will have 5 mins to read the information sheet and they collect them off you, but they will take their time in collecting them. After about ten minutes or so you will have 8 minutes to answer 43 question ( or 48 ) relating to the information you read. Then after that its the dials test, which dial gets checked relating to priority. If you pass all these you get through the to afternoon session which consists of another concentration test ( which is SCAAT, correct me if that's pronounced wrong ) then the final test will be the DFFT, Driver Fault Finding Test.
There was no Mechanical Comprehension test, i belive this is not done any more !!!

P.S Make sure you have a full driving licence or a provisional with cbt ( which i think is accepted ) as if you don't you will just be sent home, don't waste your time.
Matt

Hello Mattf,

I was wondering if you can give us a little bit of details about your assessment day with FCC.

First about your Group Bourbon Test - what exactly you had to do????

In regards to your trainability test. Could you make notes and keep your notes during test? What was the story about?

Could you just give more details because mine is on Feb 2, so I am very nervouse

AndyBoo

the notes you make are to help the passage sink in. and they are taken away from you also. you'll have a few minutes and then be expected to answer questions. its easier than it sounds. before i sat this test it was the one i was stressing about most.

the test you should prepare for most is the dots. on my assessment day i passed every test with flying colours apart from the dots. I only just passed this and was enough to stop my being interviewed.

on my dots test, I managed to get between 1/3 to 1/2 of each page. remember that accuracy is most important. you wont be allowed to get many wrong. and there are lots of posts about this on here and a few good links to help.

hope this helps, and good luck.

trent900

Thanks for all the info everyone. Its been interesting reading your experiences of the assessment day. I'm still awaiting shortlisting :(

To those who've been given assessments... what depots have your applied for?

syva

Matt

Do you know what is included in DFFT part of the assessment???

Mattf

Hi all, right as for the concentration test download the group bourdon tool, loads of links on this forum or just google search, the link has just become live again so I never had chance to use this for practice, the software also include the ~SCAAT test now. As for the DFFT test I never got that far but it did not find this difficult in the practice papers.

W230

Established Member
Do you know what is included in DFFT part of the assessment???
It was fairly straight forward. Just following a fault finding procedure and writing down the fault codes. Pretty much the same as the material they sent out.

Stedman

Hi Guys,

I'm currently doing my application for FCC. I did not realise they had started the tests and interviews etc - eeek! :o

Your replies have been really helpful so far, and I look forward to putting my application in, and hopefully hearing back from them! :D

Cheers.

W230

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I'm currently doing my application for FCC. I did not realise they had started the tests and interviews etc - eeek! :o

Your replies have been really helpful so far, and I look forward to putting my application in, and hopefully hearing back from them! :D

Cheers.
I wouldn't worry too much - from what they said last week they're after alot of drivers. I don't think the closing date for applications is until early Feb. Either way they're still running assessmernt centres.

wanabedriver

Hi Guys

I'm still waiting for my assessment dates for FCC and I'm led to believe that they have dropped the mechanical comprehension test. Can anyone shed any light on the fault finding test. I know you have to diagnose faults in priority on a solar powered train but that is as much as I know, does anyone have any tips on preparation other then what they send out or any tips to remember when sitting the test which may help.

Good luck to anyone and everyone applying for a trainee driver role :)

Appreciate any help.

Many Thanks

W230

Established Member
Got a line managers interview with FCC next week. Fingers crossed!

Can't believe how long it is since my application went in back in November but i've read on here before about TOCs taking their time. :)

Benbow

Got a line managers interview with FCC next week. Fingers crossed!

Can't believe how long it is since my application went in back in November but i've read on here before about TOCs taking their time. :)

Well done on getting as far as that :D As for me, I applied at the same time you did and I'm still "awaiting shortlisting"!!! I applied for Peterborough. How about you?

I wonder if no news is good news or perhaps I'm in a reserve list of some sort. Anyone got any ideas? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.