• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC Trainee Train Driver positions, what has happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth43

What has happened to FCC, they seem to have gone very quiet lately and are not giving any information about future assessment dates.
I have been on hold since February and it is very difficult to get anyone at HR to give me any information, as I see it I have only two months left under "we will hold your information for 6 months" policy and once this expires I will have to reapply, which is very unfair as they kept me waiting.
What to do apart form give up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
I would imagen they are very busy with the applications still - they wanted about 150 I think so must have thousands of apps to go through. I believe they wanted trainees to start end of the year so I would sit tight for now. I know they have recently filled up most of the depots with qualifieds and the trainees are to cover traction, road, ato and GSMR training over the next few years.

They may be waiting until they know more about if they will retain the franchise aswell.

ItchyRsole

Colleague at FCC was told this week he was successful so you may here something soon. Recruiting 100 more in July by all accounts.

Stupid question I forgot to ask the guy, do you need a full UK driving license to go for a drivers position?

A-driver

Established Member
Stupid question I forgot to ask the guy, do you need a full UK driving license to go for a drivers position?

FCC do require trainees to have a driving licence, I think it's a combination of reducing the amount of apps to go through and an attempt to reduce the taxi bill as FCC drivers still have an official taxi agreement in their contracts.

W230

Established Member
I have been on hold since February and it is very difficult to get anyone at HR to give me any information, as I see it I have only two months left under "we will hold your information for 6 months" policy and once this expires I will have to reapply, which is very unfair as they kept me waiting.
What to do apart form give up?
Don't give up! Keep on chipping away at it. :)

I applied to FGW at the same time as FCC in November. I went onto shortlisting with FGW and was told the same as you have been with FCC. Left on hold for 6 months before getting an email last week to say they didn;t have an assessment for me.

Luckily I got an assessment with FCC and will be starting as a trainee driver in August. You just need that bit of luck! You might find that this time you're unsuccessful with FCC but there will be another. And they'll be other TOC's recruiting. Since last November (when I applied) I have seen trainee positions with Greater Anglia, FCC, FGW, Southern, South Western, LOROL and Northern to name a few!

For what it's worth too I agree with your (and other posts) about the potential benefits of paying to do your assessments at DBS in your other thread. Next time you apply for a trainee position you will be able to say you already hold most (or all) off the required assessment passes. Can;t do any harm can it?! :)

Also, in response to your other thread - assessment passses with FCC last for 3 years. They last for 5 years with Northern. Like someone else already said, the length of time it lasts depends on the TOC/FOC.

Gareth43

Don't give up! Keep on chipping away at it. :)

I applied to FGW at the same time as FCC in November. I went onto shortlisting with FGW and was told the same as you have been with FCC. Left on hold for 6 months before getting an email last week to say they didn;t have an assessment for me.

Luckily I got an assessment with FCC and will be starting as a trainee driver in August. You just need that bit of luck! You might find that this time you're unsuccessful with FCC but there will be another. And they'll be other TOC's recruiting. Since last November (when I applied) I have seen trainee positions with Greater Anglia, FCC, FGW, Southern, South Western, LOROL and Northern to name a few!

For what it's worth too I agree with your (and other posts) about the potential benefits of paying to do your assessments at DBS in your other thread. Next time you apply for a trainee position you will be able to say you already hold most (or all) off the required assessment passes. Can;t do any harm can it?! :)

Also, in response to your other thread - assessment passses with FCC last for 3 years. They last for 5 years with Northern. Like someone else already said, the length of time it lasts depends on the TOC/FOC.

Thanks W230,

It's just very frustrating as having passed the short-listing stage to be put on hold for god knows how long only to be told by FCC that you will have to reapply in x amount of months if there is no assessment for me.

According to my brother who also works for FCC if you are successful in the short listings then FCC have to offer you an assessment regardless of the number of applicants in their system and regardless of whether it takes 6 months or a year Equal opportunities and all that political stuff!!

As for the assessments I am going to DBS on the 7 June, and then if I pass I can contact FCC and GA as I am on hold with all of these and hopfully get an interview MAYBE :roll:

Yes you are right there will be others but as this is my first application with FCC and any TOC for that matter I am somewhat dubious about the whole recruitment process, However one must try and stay positive, no matter how hard it feels my time will come:lol:

bob1

Hello Gareth 43, I think i'm in the same boat as you, I have had the email to say i passed the initial sift and awaiting short listing, i'm constantly checking my status to see if its been updated. i also applied for fgw paddington depot passed the assessments and interview i was almost there only to get an email saying thank you for my time attending the assessments etc, but there wasnt as many vacancies as they originally expected, so also on hold for that one for six months and if in that time any more vacancies arise then i will be contacted.
I phoned FCC about previously passing the assessments and if this would help me with my application, and as far as I am aware it doesnt help with your application itself and you still have to go through the process of being short listed, it does mean that when you are short listed you won't have to sit the tests again and will just need to have the interview,

Good luck and I know how you feel

Gareth43

Hello Gareth 43, I think i'm in the same boat as you, I have had the email to say i passed the initial sift and awaiting short listing, i'm constantly checking my status to see if its been updated. i also applied for fgw paddington depot passed the assessments and interview i was almost there only to get an email saying thank you for my time attending the assessments etc, but there wasnt as many vacancies as they originally expected, so also on hold for that one for six months and if in that time any more vacancies arise then i will be contacted.
I phoned FCC about previously passing the assessments and if this would help me with my application, and as far as I am aware it doesnt help with your application itself and you still have to go through the process of being short listed, it does mean that when you are short listed you won't have to sit the tests again and will just need to have the interview,

Good luck and I know how you feel

You have my sympathies, I can think of nothing worse than passing all the hurdles only to be told that there is no positions available, all that waiting, preparation and stress and for what, I think that the recruitment process can be a bit harsh and more-so when there is no positive outcome, ones hopes and expectations are instantly shattered.

However on the bright side you have passed the assessments and interview so that is an achievement so well done and good luck in the future.:D

bob1

Thanks, well I haven't taken it to heart I'll just keep trying harder and it'll only make me more determined . The thing is that there are so many people applying for the vacancies available its going to be inevitably difficult, and also reading previous threads and various web sites explaining how frustrating the selection process can be at the best of times, so already braced my self for it , never the less still frustrating so remain positive and keep trying.

I shall keep you posted with any further correspondence, good luck with your assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.