• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC treating passengers like criminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

The policies of First Capital Connect seem to be becoming more obnoxious by the day...

The latest imposition is that the automated barrier at Bedford (and presumably other Thameslink stations) has been rigged to decline all railcard discounted tickets. Put one through, and it flashes a 'seek assistance' message. At Bedford, this usually means retrieving the gate staff from somewhere a good distance away: be it the thermally-heated biscuit station in the corner of the concourse; or the platform, where staff are usually advising passengers bewildered by the desperately poor and ineffectual platform display boards.

Notwithstanding the fact that to abandon the automatic gate when closed is a breach of the TOC's Heath & Safety case (and therefore their franchise), this also slows down passengers. I have on a number of occasions in the last fortnight come close to missing a train because of these delays; compounded by the additional delays caused by the station having too few ticket windows open, and not enough ticket machines to meet the ensuing demand. There are further issues with staff being trained not to sell the cheapest tickets on some routes, and ticket machines not being set up to sell these.

All of these issues are down to one thing: FCC cutting staff to maximise profits. From travels with other TOCs which employ train managers to check tickets on-board, I'm not aware of any widespread railcard fraud. And on the occasions when I've encountered FCC's on-board roving RPIs, I've never seen someone brought up for travelling on a discounted ticket without a railcard (I'd be interested to hear from FCC RPIs on just how widespread this fraud is).

Today I was chased by the Bedford gate man who, having already let me through the gate, demanded to see my Network Card when I was half-way to the platform. By this stage I was already running for a train over the bridge, and had no intention of missing it simply to show him it (especially as I was catching a different TOC's train, in the full knowledge that my ticket and railcard would be checked on board - which they were).

Is there anything that can be done about all this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Travel before 6-30 a.m. or after 7-30pm and you will be unlikely to see any closed gatelines or staff about from West Hampstead onwards either at the stations or on the trains.

Established Member
Tis a bit silly, if they are rejecting everything discounted thats a recipe for trouble.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is there anything that can be done about all this?

Complain to FCC, Passenger Focus, your MP and Philip Hammond?

FCC are responsible for programming the gates. PF are in favour of barriers, and the government is responsible for franchising.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Notwithstanding the fact that to abandon the automatic gate when closed is a breach of the TOC's Heath & Safety case (and therefore their franchise...
Indeed.

TfL have an excellent policy in this regard, better than the TOCs, and if an abandonment of barriers was discovered it would be taken very seriously.

The standard for TOCs is below the standard set by TfL, sadly, and how seriously a breach will be taken may well vary by TOC. I would put in a complaint to FCC and if it is not very promptly and adequately dealt with, refer the matter to Passenger Focus and the DfT, and if it still persists, your MP.

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Rail%20Industry%20Standards/RIS-7701-INS%20Iss%201.pdf

5.1.1 Gatelines shall be continuously monitored when they are in use to ensure that
immediate assistance to passengers can be provided, having regard to other
duties which staff may be expected to perform.
Are they continuously monitored in such a way that assistance is immediate?
5.1.2 The minimum number of staff required at any particular time shall be established
on the basis of an assessment of the risks attributable to the passenger flow rates
experienced at different times of the day and for different days of the week.
Has the minimum number of staff at the gates in question been established? Is that minimum number always provided?
5.1.3 If at anytime it is not possible to monitor a gateline, or to provide the minimum
number of staff required for monitoring, the gatelines or individual ATGs and
auxiliary gates, shall be left in the open position.
Is this standard met?

Three methods have been identified for continuous monitoring of gatelines. In order of
effectiveness, these are:
a) A person positioned at the gateline.
Clearly this is not done, therefore best practice is not achieved. Nevertheless, they can still meet the standards if they have...
b) A person positioned remotely from the gateline but who can directly
oversee
the gateline.
I am unsure from your post if this is the case, how far are they? Is this standard met? And finally, the last standard is not acceptable to TfL...
c) A person positioned remotely from the gateline but who can directly
oversee the gateline with visual aids (for example CCTV) and who can
communicate with passengers ( and vice versa) at the gateline (using for
example an intercom facility).
... the last of these should be considered unacceptable. If it's not good enough for TfL, it should not be good enough for TOCs. TOCs should not be allowed to operate in a sub-standard way. Sadly, at present, this is sufficient to meet the standards. But are FCC even achieving that?

If you don't get anywhere with this, keep pushing it.

I'm not sure if RAIB or CIRAS could get involved, unless there is an incident....

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
At St.Albans the town side barriers (Ridgmont Road car park exit) are often left unstaffed while operational.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At St.Albans the town side barriers (Ridgmont Road car park exit) are often left unstaffed while operational.
Is there remote monitoring (e.g. CCTV) and a means of communicating with staff? It must comply with the standards in that document.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Yorkie -
Read 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 of the RIS document. The standard is voluntary unless the Infrastructure Manager or Railway undertaking specifies all or part of them in procedures or contract. Whether or not FCC has decided to opt in or opt out I don't know.

Carefree

Travel before 6-30 a.m. or after 7-30pm and you will be unlikely to see any closed gatelines or staff about from West Hampstead onwards either at the stations or on the trains.

On the 2240 from West Hampstead Thameslink to Bedford. One of the other passengers in my carriage obviously thought the same as you - just been Penalty Fared by a team of RPIs. Seldom see them this late, but they are about.

No objection to RPI teams on board: indeed there should be on every train (hey - let's call 'em 'train managers'!). But if the ridiculous and obstructive policies of a company that seeks only to slash costs & jobs gets in the way of me catching a train, I'll do all I can to get them relieved of their franchise.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If you believe the terms of their franchise are being breached, write to the Franchise Manager (sometimes called a Franchise Compliance Manager) at FCC. They are responsible for ensuring everything the TOC does is in accordance with their franchise agreement.

Give them 28 days to respond, and say you will contact the DfT about the matter.

Contacting Passenger Focus would be a waste of ink. They are massively pro-barrier and they have no regulatory power over any TOC. All they do is relay your concerns onto the TOC with a "pretty please with cherries on top". They are a consumer watchdog, not an ombudsman or regulator.

Bedpan

Established Member
I find different TOCs gatelines refuse different tickets. For example groupsave tickets never seems to work for me on South West Trains, whilst with FCC its often, although not always, railcard discounted tickets. They never seem to work the gates at St Pancras a year or two but they have been okay on my last few visits. One person on the gateline who came rushing over when my ticket was rejected advise that the problem was "because (I) hadn't shown my railcard to anybody yet", so I don't know if tickets sold at a ticket office have different info on their magnetic strip.

I do agree with you, Carefree, about FCCs heavy handedness at times, they transformed travel so much for me when they took over the franchise that I stopped using them at all for about 18 months, and I find it hard to forgive the way they introduced the evening peak restrictions which are a complete nonsense and unfair to boot. There is nothing more annoying that seeing slow trains leave St Pancras half empty at around 5, and not being allowed to travel beyond Elstree on them as a result of the restrictions being imposed due to "overcrowding".

In fact, that's another thing, the automatic gates at St Pancras reject off peak travelcards during the evening peak despite the fact that there are valid to every station in the travelcard area at that time.

Incidentally, I have seen RPIs (don't know why they call them that, as FCC lost £100+ revenue from me, partly as a result of their actions) on the for the reasons on the 03.42 from Bedford when I travelled on it one morning.

Aictos

Established Member
FCC exist to maximise profits; why would they do anything else?

If I can be cynical for a moment, isn't that why ALL franchises exist?

The likes of Virgin Trains, Southern, National Express East Anglia, East Midlands Trains, Cross Country etc...all have one thing in common which is to maximise their profits, indeed it's what all business's across all industries do.

It's unfair to single out particular companies when they're all at it, if you had a business surely you would want to maximise your profits as much as you could?

gingerheid

Established Member
They all exist for the same purpose, but FCC are better at being obnoxious about doing it.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
@ajax103 - I wasn't singling out FCC. Of course all big businesses will operate in this way- there are different ways of going about this; what works for an IC operator wouldn't be appropriate for a suburban one.

Then there's the distinction between short term profiteering and planning for the long(er) term...

Status
Not open for further replies.