• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fee-free refunds to end

Status
Not open for further replies.

James90012

Just thought I'd start a thread to let you know that Fee Free ticket refunds are coming to an end. I've been looking to book with Avanti and the refund policy has changed in literally the past couple of days, and at least with them as of 26th August the £10 admin fee will be reintroduced. Thankfully my travel dates are 22nd to 25th, but this may raise problems for others.

https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/help-and-support/coronavirus-travel-information
For tickets that have been purchased direct with us (on our website, app or from colleagues at stations and onboard), fee-free refunds and amendments are currently available on Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets. From 26 August 2020, the £10 fee for amending tickets will be re-introduced, except for tickets bought at stations where changes will remain free of charge.
A backwards step for the passenger for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably makes sense to change it now things are normalising a bit and people can plan. The difficulty I suppose is local lockdowns, but in reality it's £10 on a walk-up fare that probably costs loads more than that, so it's not a lot to take on the chin.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It creates an incentive to book Advance tickets instead, and to use a retailer who do not charge fees to amend those. A pair of out and back Advance tickets can be amended to one (Super) Off Peak Return or Anytime Return online if that's the cheapest thing to do, so one isn't actually losing anything.

The only other key reason to book flexible tickets so far in advance is reservations, but those can be obtained by telephone or social media without actually buying a ticket. Not that I'm encouraging people to abuse the process, but adding fees will encourage that.

Finally, Southeastern continue to allow free refunds in certain circumstances, so anyone wanting to avail themselves can go there.

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
It's an industry-wide change. Only tickets purchased on or after 26th August will be subject to the reintroduced charges.

Trackman

Established Member
It's an industry-wide change. Only tickets purchased on or after 26th August will be subject to the reintroduced charges.
It is, just been reading about it.
I've asked Avanti about current and further lockdowns etc, they just shrugged their shoulders so to speak.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It is, just been reading about it.
I've asked Avanti about current and further lockdowns etc, they just shrugged their shoulders so to speak.
Presumably they'd rather people booked with retailers who offer free amendments instead.

gray1404

Established Member
Looks like the refund fee will now apply to tickets booked 7 September 2020 onwards. Will be interesting to see if tickets can still be emailed in for refund rather then the physical ticket.

Wolfie

Established Member
Is there an Italian version of the Gallic shrug? It seems the SOP for Avanti. They really are a dire, can't-be-bothered TOC.
Utter pony. VTWC weren't perfect but they were orders of magnitude better than the waste of space current incumbents.

Status
Not open for further replies.