• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feedback from interviews and assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Afternoon

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and discuss the issue of feedback.

I've so far had four interviews and assessments this year for jobs in the rail industry and sadly I've not been fortunate to get the respective roles on each occasion.

One TOC was kind enough to provide me with constructive feedback but I've been ignored by two other TOCs who I have e-mailed twice since mid August. My most recent assessment was yesterday, so to be fair I've only just asked for feedback from the HR people. Realistically the HR people are very busy and they are not going to respond straight away which I more than fully appreciate as I am probably at the bottom of their list of priorities.

Outside the railway industry I've also experienced difficulty getting feedback after an interview. Most potential employers don't seem to give you the time of day if you've not been successful with them, which I think is a little unfair.

Has anyone experienced this themselves? I believe you should always ask for feedback even if you dipped the paper sift, although certain companies like Northern have a policy of NOT providing feedback at the paper sift stage.

C J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

I mean if you fail the papersift and so do hundreds of others it would be unrealistic to provide feedback to all.

But if you make it to the assessment stage, imo it would be courteous to provide some sort of feedback.

I have found in genera asking for feedback pointless as you never hear back...

Red1980

To me given how Railway recruitment works and the numbers involved etc it'd be mad to expect feedback at any other stage than the final interview etc.

Doesn't matter what marks you get in regards to the assessments, pass or fail you're never told your marks/scoring anyway....closest you get to that is being told if you've met enhanced scoring standards or not.

As others have said, the only place you could reasonably expect to get feedback is the DMI (or equivalent) but given the enormous workloads the HR departments seem to have, it doesn't surprise me that more often than not it doesn't happen.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
In an ideal world it would be nice to get feedback about all your applications but sadly it doesn't happen.

I think the biggest issue is getting HR staff to liaise with the interview/assessment staff who themselves are likely to be operational such as Train Managers, Driver Team Managers, etc and then report back to you with the respective feedback.

Unfortunately, you are at the bottom of a very long list of HR prioritises and in most cases they don't bother getting back to you.

C J

Cyclist

I've had two interviews this year. One was for Northern Conductor and I was unsuccessful but they were kind enough to email me feedback. The other was for T&W Metro Driver and I'm waiting on the result of that but they can't offer feedback. At the end of both interviews I explicitly asked them if they are able to provide feedback.

So I agree with the above, you've answered your own question but my advice is always ask about feedback at the end of your interview.

Red1980

I've had two interviews this year. One was for Northern Conductor and I was unsuccessful but they were kind enough to email me feedback. The other was for T&W Metro Driver and I'm waiting on the result of that but they can't offer feedback. At the end of both interviews I explicitly asked them if they are able to provide feedback.

So I agree with the above, you've answered your own question but my advice is always ask about feedback at the end of your interview.

I wouldn't ask about feedback at the end of the interview personally...... I'd be using that time to ask questions relating to the job/franchise/training should you be successful etc. I'd be making it look like I've got a genuine interest in the job and the company rather than ask about a potential interview performance review.

I'd be worrying about that once I've been told about their final decision......just seems a bit like running before you can walk going down that route before you've even closed the door behind you. Chances are the interview team wouldn't even know properly how you've done accurately until they've had chance to review their interview notes and answer scoring.

Cyclist

I wouldn't ask about feedback at the end of the interview personally...... I'd be using that time to ask questions relating to the job/franchise/training should you be successful etc. I'd be making it look like I've got a genuine interest in the job and the company rather than ask about a potential interview performance review.

I'd be worrying about that once I've been told about their final decision......just seems a bit like running before you can walk going down that route before you've even closed the door behind you. Chances are the interview team wouldn't even know properly how you've done accurately until they've had chance to review their interview notes and answer scoring.
when I say ask for feedback at the end I don’t mean immediate feedback. I mean ask them to email me feedback when they’ve come to a decision. In both of those interviews I asked other questions such as the ones you’ve mentioned too.

Red1980

when I say ask for feedback at the end I don’t mean immediate feedback. I mean ask them to email me feedback when they’ve come to a decision. In both of those interviews I asked other questions such as the ones you’ve mentioned too.

In that case definitely.....there's no better way to put the problem right or improve a successful interview than getting feedback.

I've never understood why people even those who've been unsuccessful don't get feedback at the end of the process..... Especially when they're moaning and coming up with all kinds of conspiracy theories as to why they keep falling short.......I mean you wouldn't keep taking your car back after a failed MOT without getting the problem fixed first would you.

PaulBusDriver

There comes a point where you can't offer constructive criticism though. I mean in the case of not passing a assessment for example, if you fall short of meeting a pass mark on more than one assessment maybe they feel it would be demoralising and not constructive to tell you? That's the only assumption I can make.

Red1980

There comes a point where you can't offer constructive criticism though. I mean in the case of not passing a assessment for example, if you fall short of meeting a pass mark on more than one assessment maybe they feel it would be demoralising and not constructive to tell you? That's the only assumption I can make.
I agree

Or it'd be just pointless in even attempting feedback at a stage when your assessment marks are actually confidential and won't be passed on to candidates anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.