• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feltham - London1256 Travel Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii2468

Does bus 117 accept this travel card? I just found something interesting.
If I buy a London1256 railcard from Staines on weekends + network railcard, the fare would be 8 pounds. However, from Feltham it is only 5.3 pounds. If the bus 117 accepts the London travel card, can I use the Feltham bought travelcard to travel from Staines - Feltham for nothing, and take a train from Feltham - London and do the reverse when I return?

That means I would rather pay 5.30 Pounds instead of 8. Anyone who knows if this is possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, bus 117 from Staines to West Middlesex Hospital accepts all London Travelcards. Note it only runs every 20 minutes on Saturdays and every 30 minutes on Sundays.

hawaii2468

but during weekdays it's only 8 pounds which is still much cheaper than the 15 pounds off peak or 12.10 pounds super off peak travel cards from Staines?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
but during weekdays it's only 8 pounds which is still much cheaper than the 15 pounds off peak or 12.10 pounds super off peak travel cards from Staines?

A Zone 1-6 travel card valid on the 117 bus and the train from Feltham to Central London is £15 on Mon-Fri before 0930. After 0930 or any time at weekends it is £5.30 (All prices with Travelcard - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx).

Harlesden

I feel a tinge of sadness anytime I see a modern day sardine can 117. I remember many happy journeys on the proud majestic RM's making their way from Woodthorpe Road (10 minutes from Staines) to Shepherd's Bush with pleasant courteous conductors.

Oracle

Established Member
I lived in Feltham to '65 and recall the first time that Mum and I got on a Routemaster on the 117 from Minimax Corner to Feltham High Street..probably in 1962. Later, on Saturdays Turnham Green Garage (TG) I think it was supplemented the RMs out of Hounslow Garage (AV) and it looked so retrospect to see them against their erstwhile replacements. As you all know the 117 at one stage ran Egham Station to Shepherds Bush Green, and then the route swapped with the former RF route 237 (Chertsey Sation to Hounslow) with the 117 becoming the 237.

The 117 used to do 'shorts' to Brentford County Court in one direction and Hounslow Heath The Hussar in the other, stopping in the latter case on the 120 stand. Fat lot of use when you wanted to get from Hounslow to Feltham!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Does bus 117 accept this travel card? I just found something interesting.
If I buy a London1256 railcard from Staines on weekends + network railcard, the fare would be 8 pounds. However, from Feltham it is only 5.3 pounds. If the bus 117 accepts the London travel card, can I use the Feltham bought travelcard to travel from Staines - Feltham for nothing, and take a train from Feltham - London and do the reverse when I return?

That means I would rather pay 5.30 Pounds instead of 8. Anyone who knows if this is possible?

The travelcard from Feltham is just a normal Zone 1-6 travelcard as Feltham is inside the zonal boundary.

Staines is outside the zonal boundary and therefore has a premium attached for a return journey between Staines and Feltham.

Many bus routes that run beyond the Zone 6 boundary, such as the 405 to Redhill, the 84 to St Albans (valid to Potters Bar only) and the 81 to Slough accept travelcards. Such routes will accept travelcards of any zonal combination.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The travelcard from Feltham is just a normal Zone 1-6 travelcard as Feltham is inside the zonal boundary.

Staines is outside the zonal boundary and therefore has a premium attached for a return journey between Staines and Feltham.

Many bus routes that run beyond the Zone 6 boundary, such as the 405 to Redhill, the 84 to St Albans and the 81 to Slough accept travelcards. Such routes will accept travelcards of any zonal combination.

The 84 only accepts travelcards to a point in Potters Bar (EDIT: Potters Bar Cranborne Road) as it is not a TfL bus route.

sjj2112

A Zone 1-6 travel card valid on the 117 bus and the train from Feltham to Central London is £15 on Mon-Fri before 0930. After 0930 or any time at weekends it is £5.30 (All prices with Travelcard - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx).

The OP stated that they were using a Network Card. According to the website http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/tickets-types-min-fares#Minimum_fares the off-peak period starts at 10:00 Monday to Friday with a minimum fare of £13:00, or a minimum of £15:00 for an Off-Peak Day Travelcard.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The OP stated that they were using a Network Card. According to the website http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/tickets-types-min-fares#Minimum_fares the off-peak period starts at 10:00 Monday to Friday with a minimum fare of £13:00, or a minimum of £15:00 for an Off-Peak Day Travelcard.

Minimum of £15 is for an Anytime Travelcard.

The TfL page is unclear - it suggests the off-peak discounts are available from 0930 but it may be that the OP will need the undiscounted off-peak Zone 1-6 Travelcard at £8 on Mondays-Fridays off-peak.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The 84 only accepts travelcards to a point in Potters Bar (EDIT: Potters Bar Cranborne Road) as it is not a TfL bus route.

Yes I should have made it clearer. (Edited.)

The 84 is run under London Local Service Agreement, rather than being a TfL route.

hawaii2468

Many bus routes that run beyond the Zone 6 boundary, such as the 405 to Redhill, the 84 to St Albans (valid to Potters Bar only) and the 81 to Slough accept travelcards. Such routes will accept travelcards of any zonal combination.

Does it mean that the London 1-6 travel card cannot be used if I travel on bus 117 from Staines ?

hawaii2468

I am quite confused as someone said I must buy a ticket between Staines and Feltham.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am quite confused as someone said I must buy a ticket between Staines and Feltham.

If you buy a Staines - London Zones 1-6 travelcard then it gives you one return journey on the railway between Staines and the edge of Zone 6, plus unlimited travel within the zones, which includes buses in various areas outside the zones such as the 117 to Staines.

If you buy a Feltham - London Zones 1-6 (inboundary) travelcard then you are not permitted to travel on the railway between Staines and the edge of Zone 6, which in this case is Feltham. If you wish to travel on the railway between Staines and Feltham then an additional ticket will be required. However the inboundary travelcard will allow you to use the 117 from/to Staines for free.

Hope this clarifies matters.

hawaii2468

If you buy a Staines - London Zones 1-6 travelcard then it gives you one return journey on the railway between Staines and the edge of Zone 6, plus unlimited travel within the zones, which includes buses in various areas outside the zones such as the 117 to Staines.

If you buy a Feltham - London Zones 1-6 (inboundary) travelcard then you are not permitted to travel on the railway between Staines and the edge of Zone 6, which in this case is Feltham. If you wish to travel on the railway between Staines and Feltham then an additional ticket will be required. However the inboundary travelcard will allow you to use the 117 from/to Staines for free.

Hope this clarifies matters.

That's what I wanted to mean that whether a London 1-6 travel card is valid or not on the bus 117 between Staines and Feltham because Staines is outside Zone 6.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
That's what I wanted to mean that whether a London 1-6 travel card is valid or not on the bus 117 between Staines and Feltham because Staines is outside Zone 6.

Yep it definitely IS valid on that bus, as people said before, the Zones DON'T apply to busses, any zone travelcard is valid!

RJ

Established Member

In response to your question;

The Feltham - London Zones 1-6 Travelcard is valid on the whole of route 117. Quite a few London bus routes run outside the Greater London boundary but Travelcards remain valid, so long as it's a TfL bus route.

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm just wondering what the OP will do about the first part of his journey (Staines - Feltham). Can he buy a travelcard on the bus when he catches it from Staines, or would he have to go to Staines station, buy a travelcard from Feltham, and then go off to the bus stop to catch the bus?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It cannot be bought on the bus. The only fare on sale on the bus is the cash single fare. If a paper travelcard is desired then it must be bought from the railway station or one of the local ticket shops. Alternatively if you use PAYG Oyster, then the fare will be capped at the Zones 1-6 rate if you use the 117 to get into the zones.

hawaii2468

Well, what I am going to do is : I will book the Feltham + London 1-6 travel card on internet and collect it at Stains rail station ticket vends, then use this exact travel card to ride the Bus 117 outside the station.

One thing I am not sure about using the Oyster card is, how do I enjoy the 1/3 off by my Network Railcard during weekends?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I worry that the bus driver might refuse my travel card because it's only a Feltham + London 1-6 one but I start from Staines.

Is it true that this bus 117 even accepts London Zone 1 travel card?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can not get a zone one only travel card, you can however get a 1-2 travelcard.

Yes, the 117 should accept any travelcard that involves any combination of zones :smile:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One thing I am not sure about using the Oyster card is, how do I enjoy the 1/3 off by my Network Railcard during weekends?
The Network Railcard does not offer discounts on Oyster fares. You are however entitled to a £5.30 paper Travelcard for zones 1-6 on weekends and public holidays only.
I worry that the bus driver might refuse my travel card because it's only a Feltham + London 1-6 one but I start from Staines.

Why would he do that? TfL bus routes accept Travelcards irrespective of the zone.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well, what I am going to do is : I will book the Feltham + London 1-6 travel card on internet and collect it at Stains rail station ticket vends, then use this exact travel card to ride the Bus 117 outside the station.
Yes that will work fine. You can pick up internet ordered tickets at any TVM.

You need to stop thinking about zones when refering to buses. Any TfL operated bus, even those that run outside the zonal area, accept any travelcard from a zone 1-2 off-peak one-day travelcard right up to an all zones annual travelcard season. It doesn't matter what it is, with the singular exception that you can't use an off-peak travelcard before 9.30am Monday to Friday.

The reason for this is that you only pay on entry on a bus, so the system has no way of knowing how far you will go. Therefore there are no zonal restrictions on buses.

hawaii2468

290 to Twickenham and Travelcard from there? It'd work out the same anyway.

Yes.

It seems that there are quite a number of TfL buses in Staines whereas it isn't within any TfL zone. Has TfL ever considered to expand its zones to Stains like what it did to Watford?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
290 to Twickenham and Travelcard from there? It'd work out the same anyway.

London zone 1-5 and 1-6 are same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.