• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Female Railfans (and why dating is difficult)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
I know we have a few such people on here, but for the most part our "world" is dominated by men. The stereotypical image of the anorak-wearing, socially-inept spotter busily scribbling down apparently random numbers, for instance, is one that is never adorned with a female character in the role in question, while the photter force are about as likely to comprise a female member as they are to shoot a Vauxhall Astra.

So what experiences do people have of female railfans? And if you are a female railfan, what are your experiences of following your interest in public, and the reactions received from those around you?

The reason I ask all of this is that, earlier today, one of the girls on my course told me that - before University - she lived in Charfield, north of Yate. She said that she knew that there was once a station there, and that a friend of hers used to live in the station building. By the time we went our separate ways, she revealed that she knew that CrossCountry passed through the site, that "125s" sometimes passed through (correcting herself thereafter), and even that she "prefer it when it's a 158 and not a 150"!

To say I was surprised would be an understatement. Certainly brought a smile to my face! :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To say they're out there sounds unlikely, but I have come across some. Unfortunately Ivo, they don't tend to be, umm, what's the best way of putting it, aesthetically pleasing. I did try to be polite...

You'll find it's one of the fastest ways of putting that species off you I'm afraid chap. Unsurprisingly they don't tend to like the idea of going off on a day out on the trains just for mileage or whatever! Granted, at least one of my workmates (of the female species - I know that's going to sound nasty to someone...) liked the idea of going on a sleeper train. Just as well for her that I've gone off sleeper trains, flying's the way to go for me for long distance!

Personally, I've come across the decision that it's either find a new socially acceptable hobby (drinking and clubbing is one I'm getting into) or be prepared for a life of no relationships of any sort...

coastwallker

*waves* I'm here

Daughter of a railwayman, life long train (and bus) lover, but I tend to keep a low profile as other ladies don't get it and blokes (apart from my husband and brother) don't either.

I have been following the thread about people getting in the way of photographers on stations with interest. Believe me, try being there with your photo equipment as a woman and it is a joke.
"Get out the way, love. There's a steam train coming and I want to take a photo" is quite common.
I do try to be polite in my reply.

And damn, now I have blown my cover. I have only recently found this forum and was enjoying quietly watching and reading.

Ah well

Ploughman

Established Member
There are a few of this rare breed to be found on the footplate on the NYMR.

If my experience of females in a predominantly male preserve is worth anything I would say that they can be equal to or even better than the men around them.
We had about 6 in a TA unit and I would in some cases put one of the girls in a particular driving role even when there were supposed to be professional drivers available.
She could do the job the men could not.

Tubeboy

To say they're out there sounds unlikely, but I have come across some. Unfortunately Ivo, they don't tend to be, umm, what's the best way of putting it, aesthetically pleasing. I did try to be polite..

And there are so many Brad Pitt lookalikes on Railtours!

Temple Meads

Established Member
And there are so many Brad Pitt lookalikes on Railtours!

Well seeing as I don't do too many railtours I doubt that ;) :P

The amount of female railfans I've seen while out and about (that weren't dragged along!) can probably be counted with my thumbs......

WelshBluebird

Established Member
One of my friends girlfriends (shes one of my friends too) is a bit of a train geek. Nothing but, but certainly more than "normal" people.
She plays rail simulator, refers to trains by their class, sometimes takes a couple of photos of trains on her travels etc.
They do exist, but they are rare. Its similar in my professional life as I'm a software developer.

Harbon 1

They have been noted as well (from 'Seventies Spotting Days, Around the Midlands')

I have had two of my friends (girls) in my year say that a day out with me on the trains would be 'fun' and another girl even enjoys talking about trains and buses with me, although its (the bus bit) just about the journeying/companies, rather than the actual buses. She also thinks that it's 'cool' that I can go anywhere on the train. (Sounds like I'm in there ;) :lol:) Which is more than can be said by the boys. Although they don't talk about much more than football anyway :roll: But I'm always the first they come to when they want to buy a ticket :lol:

Last edited:

Nonsense

There are some that might know more about the subject than you might expect. A friend of the wife confessed to missing the Deltics and I'll never forget the conversation with a female friend at uni about 'growlers', or class 37s, I was simultaneously impressed and disappointed.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

inter city by Sam Tait, on Flickr

me and my nans god daughter in the early 90's :lol:

Nice pic that

I know a girl that likes trains. I also believe that there are a few members on this forum that are female. A few members on my rail forum are female.

My girlfriend doesn't seem to mind my rail enthusiasm either, she is actually quite interested!

12CSVT

Established Member
A good friend of mine is a female railway enthusiast. On many occasions we have visited preserved railways together. She's probably more knowledgeable about preserved steam than I am (especially regarding which locos are at which railways, which locos are in service / under repair or restoration). She's also a regular volunteer with a rolling stock owning group at a preserved railway.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
*waves* I'm here

And damn, now I have blown my cover. I have only recently found this forum and was enjoying quietly watching and reading.

Ah well

Welcome to the Forum!

Glad you have been enjoying it so far!

Butts

Veteran Member
Wonder if there are any Female attendees at RailUK Forums Fares Workshops ?

Or are the only representatives of the fairer sex the hordes of RailUK Forums groupies that await the appearance of Yorkie,Greenback and the others, asking for their copies of Bradshaws to be signed by these esteemed individuals.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
To say they're out there sounds unlikely, but I have come across some. Unfortunately Ivo, they don't tend to be, umm, what's the best way of putting it, aesthetically pleasing. I did try to be polite...

You'll find it's one of the fastest ways of putting that species off you I'm afraid chap. Unsurprisingly they don't tend to like the idea of going off on a day out on the trains just for mileage or whatever! Granted, at least one of my workmates (of the female species - I know that's going to sound nasty to someone...) liked the idea of going on a sleeper train. Just as well for her that I've gone off sleeper trains, flying's the way to go for me for long distance!

Personally, I've come across the decision that it's either find a new socially acceptable hobby (drinking and clubbing is one I'm getting into) or be prepared for a life of no relationships of any sort...

just where your wrong mate - my Soon to be Wife loves a day out on bus or rail for oilage, rout coverage etc etc and although nowhere near as geeky a7 most of us here she has wrappidly learned to appreciate the delights of step darts, Olimpians of any kind, 150s and above all she hates Voyagers! Oh and shes attractive too, ask Yorky or Ainsworth74 - she joined us for the Fife Circle 67 plus MK2s in the summer

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
meant milage, time for bed me thinks

richw

Veteran Member
My daughter loves trains, gets excited when she hears one approaching and runs to look for them. Sadly since we've moved house a fortnight ago she can hear then but no longer see them.
She's only 2 though so will probably lose her interest when she gets older

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Crossover

Established Member
I know there a few female enthusiasts on here and a couple have been on meets I have been on, one of whom I have kept in contact with semi-regular since, which is nice :)

Certainly us guys are in the majority, but then there are other things we are too (I work in IT and that's another!) but there are people of the fairer sex who can be similarly minded (it is nice to talk to girls who have half an idea of what I'm talking about :))

I think you just stereotyped all the female enthusiasts...I know they're not all like that!

I agree though, it isn't the most endearing interest to have when trying to get into relationships, but to be honest, I half have the impression that why should I stop having an interest in something I have an interest in.

I do tend to keep it quiet-ish (no-one at work really knows apart from those who may have twigged onto something when we have been talking about more public aspects of railways and I seem to know more than most about it...namely a conversation I had with a colleague about XC!) but a few know and utilise what knowledge I have etc.

When asked about what I do in my spare time, I usually cite other interests I have, which are more commonly accepted :)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
this thread makes me recall a job interview a couple of months back where one of the questions was
How would you feel ie you were asked to attend a meeting involving a complex rail and bus journey? I answered that the thought of being paid to bash was a great one and explained my hobby. Didnt get the job but not for that reason.

theblackwatch

Established Member
When asked about what I do in my spare time, I usually cite other interests I have, which are more commonly accepted :)

This could be a problem for anyone who has few, or no, interests outside railways...

There are lots of hobbies/interests where most of the people who partake are the same sex. For example, I don't see many women fishing, and I doubt there are many blokes go to the Cross-stitch group my mum goes to.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Is there a taboo thing about female railfans I have missed? Judging on the response by Techniquest, I suggest there is amongst some male railfans. I think Tubeboy's response covers that :)

Ivo

Established Member
I agree though, it isn't the most endearing interest to have when trying to get into relationships, but to be honest, I half have the impression that why should I stop having an interest in something I have an interest in.

I do tend to keep it quiet-ish (no-one at work really knows apart from those who may have twigged onto something when we have been talking about more public aspects of railways and I seem to know more than most about it...namely a conversation I had with a colleague about XC!) but a few know and utilise what knowledge I have etc.

This might sound a bit "out there", but I like to think I have a slight advantage in this sense. On Wednesday night my friend determined this side of my personality through probably about five different means, although my asking where she formerly commuted from - and stating that Charfield formerly had a station - was the big one. Ultimately, why would someone know that Charfield had a station once upon a time, without either (a) living there or nearby or (b) knowing the railway? Its platforms are still extant though, and there have been discussions in recent years about reopening it for the benefit of Wotton-under-Edge, but anyway...

I don't tend to blurt out what I like in that sense - it's usually "travelling". It just doesn't take long for people to realise that it generally refers to road and rail matters and to a lesser degree air. Overall, I expect that there are more staff at my University that know than there are students, with the majority of staff who know being male.

Is there a taboo thing about female railfans I have missed? Judging on the response by Techniquest, I suggest there is amongst some male railfans. I think Tubeboy's response covers that :)

It does seem a bit odd on the outside, but doesn't the hobby as a whole? I personally would suggest that this is as far as it goes.

Tubeboy

I have never hid the fact I like Railways from girlfriends, if they can't accept you for who you are then....

I have had varied responses from exes, some think it's harmless, others think its a bit different. But like other members have said, if it's one of your hobbies, then that's normal IMHO. No matter what your hobby is, if your only interested in one thing, it could come across as a bit limiting, especially to a future partner.

As for my current partner, she has had no qualms with me being mad about railways, she has accompanied me to lots of events, as well as Railtours and exhibitions. She is interested in trains per se, in the sense of design and architecture, she could stand and stare at the roof of St Pancras for hours, or the engine sounds of a loco, as she loves all mechanical
things.

Techniquest, maybe you haven't found the right person yet. Be patient. Don't change who you are to fit in with someone else!

Heinz57

This is interesting reading through this.

Could I add to it and ask what about female fans of modeling (we're talking railway modeling here, not the other type :D)

I reckon female modelers are even more rare than those interested in railways as a whole. This seems particularly true amongst the younger generation. How many girls do you know in their late teens or there twenties interested in railway modeling? Why does it seem to be lost, particularly amongst the younger generation?

newbie babs

I love railways, trains, architecture, signals, models (I have one, my dads) in fact anything to do it from the engineering to what you sit on.
I have been to a forum meet which was nice to meet guys who had different interests.

I must say being female and having a love of trains etc is not easy and quite often I get treated as though I don't know anything and ignored, well apart from someone who has offered me a volunteer job of a lifetime,.

I would rather go see steam or diesel trains than shop for handbags or clothes but if you look at my avatar I don`t have a raincoat and woolly jumper as some perceive me to (those I work with) when watching trains.

radamfi

Established Member
Are there any people reading this who insist on having a girlfriend/wife who is interested in transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.