• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Female Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skycat

Hi all, I've been reading various threads on here for a while as I've applied to be a Trainee Train Driver. I'm used to working in male-dominated careers but just wondered what the general feeling is in this industry towards women drivers?? Happy to read all views, for and against.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C001

Hi all, I've been reading various threads on here for a while as I've applied to be a Trainee Train Driver. I'm used to working in male-dominated careers but just wondered what the general feeling is in this industry towards women drivers?? Happy to read all views, for and against.

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
No issues, we have several at Plymouth. Everyone gets on with everyone else, long as you mix , folk wont notice your gender etc. Anythig to increase diversity on the railway is probably a good thing I'd say.

Applepie356

Everyone should have the opportunity to get in based on their own Merits. Gender, age, ethnicity doesn’t matter.

What I don’t agree with is positive discrimination, but that’s a discussion for another thread

8J

As above. I know plenty of female train drivers. The job of a driver is open to anyone and I'd encourage anyone who wants to apply to have a go.

The most important thing to do is research the job and what it entails - ie. The unsociable hours, life sacrifices and levels of concentration.

craigybagel

Established Member
We're up to three now with a fourth in training at my depot - I think that's a record :lol: women drivers are still very much a small minority at my TOC at least but I'd like to think they're treated just as well as the men.

Ken H

On Moderation
I did Evesham -Paddington on an HST must have been 15 years ago. When I passed the front of the train the driver was getting out. Female driver. So this isnt new by a long chalk. cant remember one before that.

FastTrax

I think female applicants have more chance to be selected as companies try to bring the balance up.

Seehof

Go for it, Skycat. There is no problem being a woman on the railway nowadays. You will enjoy it and the colleagues you get to know.

Stigy

Established Member
What I don’t agree with is positive discrimination, but that’s a discussion for another thread
Agreed, that’s a bit pet hate of mine but as you say, we could go on about it forever and this probably isn’t the place for it.

There are more and more female drivers now, with most companies pushing for more to apply.

Indeed the last NYMR train from Whitby to Pickering of last season 2019. Had an all female footplate crew of Fireman and Driver. it made the local pape too...

BloominMan

I know a load of female drivers.

This particular TOC specifically hunted females as conductors for a short period behind the scenes and openly advertised for more females. Who very quickly became drivers ahead of plenty of others. I assume that probably happens everywhere.

So yes good chances for you in my opinion.

Dynamonic

Yep, we’ve had quite a few new female drivers join at my depot recently, with more in training.
If you want to drive trains, go for it!

Coach Carter

Loads of female drivers at our place, all enjoying the job. Two ladies on my trainee course as well

2L70

On Moderation
Makes no difference, at all, gender. You’ll get the odd crack like “you’ll be off soon” or “you’ll want accommodated” but that’s just Railway humour.

Go ahead, apply and give it your best shot.

Stigy

Established Member
Gone are the days where it was fundamentally a male industry. There’s more women in rail than ever these days and although outnumbered by male staff, it’s not because of discrimination, but more likely that women aren’t applying for jobs in the industry at the same scale men are.

ExRes

Established Member
I did Evesham -Paddington on an HST must have been 15 years ago. When I passed the front of the train the driver was getting out. Female driver. So this isnt new by a long chalk. cant remember one before that.

I'm not sure if you mean overall or just a particular company, I did my NSE training in 1992 with two females and there were already at least two in post at my depot, we also had a female driver at Res in 1995

Established Member
Gone are the days where it was fundamentally a male industry. There’s more women in rail than ever these days and although outnumbered by male staff, it’s not because of discrimination, but more likely that women aren’t applying for jobs in the industry at the same scale men are.

Agreed.

We will probably never end up with the 50/50 male to female ratio some people seem to think we should have. Let’s face it, becoming a train driver simply doesn’t appeal to as many women as it does men.

The important thing is that all those who wish to apply have a fair shot, regardless of their sex. That is certainly the case these days, given how keen many TOCs are to recruit females.

Ken H

On Moderation
I'm not sure if you mean overall or just a particular company, I did my NSE training in 1992 with two females and there were already at least two in post at my depot, we also had a female driver at Res in 1995
Dunno. That was the only one that caught my attention.

Seehof

Diversity is a great thing and people are no longer ashamed of who they are or their sexuality on the railway. This has wider implications in that a lot of guys (and girls) have no fear of reading a railway magazine in the mess room. It is amazing how rapidly you get to know people if you do that! Or whatever you want to read. A lady driver I knew used to get out her Japanese Teach Yourself books.

ConkerD

I am a 47 year old woman who would like to start a new career now my children are older. Am I too old??

PaulJ

I am a 47 year old woman who would like to start a new career now my children are older. Am I too old??
I’m 55 and am about commence training to become a train conductor after 37 years in the banking industry!

Gloster

Established Member
Wikipedia also has a page on Karen Harrison, the first BR driver. Times have changed (for the better).

Mods: sorry, but doing a link is beyond my technical ability, as with much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.