• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fenchurch Street to Stratford direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Lewis

Travelling into Fenchurch Street earlier today, I was idly wondering about the short section of line that, travelling eastbound from Fenchurch Street, branches off to the left (north) just east of Limehouse station, thus permitting a direct routeing from Fenchurch Street into Stratford. I don't know if there are any regular passenger or ECS moves that run over this line, and I've not done it.

So I was fairly pleased, on arriving into Fenchurch Street, to see posters up saying that tomorrow there is engineering work at East Ham, so ALL eastbound services from Fenchurch Street will be diverted via Stratford, so will use this bit of line! Guess what I shall be doing tomorrow...

Anyway, for all you track bashers out there, I assume this IS a rare bit of track, and so I hope this is useful info - unless, as has happened before, someone else has beaten me to it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Expression357

There are ECS Moves that use this route for the purposes of route retention - and it has been used a couple of times during late night works Fenchurch St - Barking where the last train out of Fen St turns off to go via Stratford before the block.

Aside, there are no regular timetabled passenger trains this way, so will only ever be on an engineering work basis, although clearly the route remains available otherwise for diversion when there is disruption on the line between Barking and Gas Factory Junction.

Have fun tomorrow.

Ivo

Established Member
Just a little extra to add - the speed limit on that stretch (which is pretty short) is low, even for a London viaduct. There isn't much to see either.

It is a difficult line to claim though, so anyone who needs it and can use it may want to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

TheJRB

Established Member
I managed to travel on that line on the "Thames Tidal" Thumper railtour back in March. It's short but I found the stretch out of Stratford interesting as you follow the DLR and see it head down to Bow Church and then it really isn't long before you join the line to Fenchurch Street.

iandelg

For anyone unable to make it this Sunday, there are/will be other opportunities - eg M-Th 2032 Fenchurch St - Shoeburyness from 9th to 19th July. This particluar diversion seems to run every six weeks or so. http://www.auod93.dsl.pipex.com/UT_E02.htm will be updated regularly to show future planned diversions.

12CSVT

Established Member
Does Bow Jct to Gas Factory Jct ever get used for up passenger workings (ie towards Fenchurch Street) ?

Expression357

Bit late I know , but yesterday , Sunday , c2c trains were going that way because of Engineering work at West Ham . But still leaving from Fenchurch Street .

Coastbound yes - trains were running from Fenchurch Street via Stratford.

London-bound trains were still going via West Ham.

trivran

There are a couple of trains each morning and evening that go that way.

spurs4life

The engineering work was at east ham. they are putting in a new walking route for east ham depot.and as other post have said there are only a few trains that go that way all are ecs. for instance there is a 14.58 ex east ham depot to barking then to Stratford then to fen via bow single line.also its the best way to get to ilford for tire turning.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
There are a couple of trains each morning and evening that go that way.

Not in passenger service, there aren't! (Apart from exceptional engineering works - these have been pretty regular in the last few months, but unheard of for many years prior to that). Not least as this section was singled to allow the DLR to run on part of the trackway between Bow Church and Stratford, which does rather limit its usefulness.

There are a few trains each evening that run into (or out of) Liverpool Street,and hence to Barking via Woodgrange Park, which may be what you're thinking of.

Expression357

Next run at this is next Mon (9th) - Thursday (12th) - with the 20:32 Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness via Stratford due to engineering work - subsequent trains from Liv St.

Followed by a very rare passenger move on the Up Bow Single Line on the 15th July due to the London Southend Bike Ride - there's booked to be a 07:02 Stratford-Fenchurch Street service.

This is followed by another week (16th - 19th) with the 20:32 Fenchurch St - Shoeburyness via Stratford.

Status
Not open for further replies.