• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fencing on platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Ascot was similar to Guildford, but that got a fence installed when the platform was extended.

(Also Finsbury Park with "platform 3" and "platform 6" effectively not-used)
Yeovil Pen Mill?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Grantham has a similar platform and that has no fence.

tpjm

Considering Platform 2 at Stalybridge sees about one train a week, it’s quite obvious that this fence is for the benefit of Platform 1. It’s quite narrow at that end and can get pretty busy in the morning.

Scarborough Platform 1 and 2 have platform on both sides which are not fenced off so I would think Stalybridge is entirely driven by the narrow nature of the platform.

infobleep

Veteran Member
But 7 could be used instead of 6 if need be. Numerous LUL stations are similar, as well as various non-3rd-rail NR stations (Ulverston is the only through station that comes to mind).
I don't think fencing is routine (unless on 125mph routes?)
Indeed it can be used instead. I have done so twice I seem to recall.

Of course it wasn't intended for it to be used. All were platform changes from 5 to 6 and the guard opening the doors as if it was platform 5. I don't blame them for doing that though. This was probably over 4 years ago now.

Status
Not open for further replies.