• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fenny Stratford - Grantham

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Morning,

I fancy a trip to Grantham for the football on Saturday 9th April but it needs to be as cheap as possible. I have some spare cash and a rare free weekend.

The cheapest I can find is:

£5 advance MKC to Nuneaton
£36 East Midlands Day Rover
£5 advance From Nuneaton to MKC

The routes via London and via Leicester seem VERY expensive - can anyone suggest something better? I only have a Netwokr Gold Card which is of little use.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
From Milton keynes - Nuneaton advance out £5 ret £5
Nuneaton - Leicester advance out £4.70 ret £4.70/£2.60)
Leicester - Grantham Off Peak Day Return (via Nottingham) £14

Total max £33.40

bangor-toad

Hi there,
What about:

X5 bus to St Neots: £13.15 return
Off Peak Return, St Neots to Grantham: £24.20

Even with the bus being a bit slow it still seems quite reasonable compared to the routing needed sticking to rail only.

If you do want to stick with rail only and don't want to be tied to advances only then you can split at Long Eaton for about the same as what you've got:
MKC - Long Eaton. £38.40 (Return)
(Travel valid via Nottingham)

Nottingham to Grantham: £8.80 (Return)

Cheers,
Mr Toad

philjo

Established Member
Could you use the X5 bus from Bedford to St Neots? split the fares at peterborough

Fenny Stratford-Bedford - CDR - £4.35 (with Gold card)
St Neots - Peterborough - super off-peak day return - £5
Peterborough-Grantham - off-peak day return £15.30

£24.65 plus cost of the bus - all rail tickets are walk-on fares.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks - The bus is a good option but the return time worries me. I will have a look..........

Is there any benefit in a Derby split as that might let me come back via Birmingham?

Romilly

Established Member
2 x £5 MKC/Nuneaton Advances could be combined with a £24.40 Nuneaton-Grantham offpeak day return or, at a cost in journey times (as you would be restricted to trains that call at Hinckley), with a £5.40 Nuneaton-Hinckley return and a £17.50 Hinckley-Grantham return. Total: £32.90 or £34.40.

And for MKC-Nuneaton, an offpeak return is £12.20 with an annual gold card, if you prefer to avoid Advances, but the discounted ticket can only be used on LM trains.

Edit: the £24.40 Nuneaton-Grantham ticket is (per the VTEC journey planner) valid via Tamworth, Derby & Nottingham, or via Leicester & Nottingham, or via Leicester & Peterborough, or via Birmingham New Street, Tamworth, Derby & Nottingham.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Romilly - genius. I completely forgot to look at a Nuneaton - Grantham leg! doh. I will go out via New Street and back via Peterborough

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.