• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferry amenities question - 1960s and 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Question for a couple of role-playing games I'm running. When crossing the Channel on a ferry back in the 1960s and 1970s, what was there to do to pass the time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Go to the bar, have a drink, look at the sea, have a drink...

Seriously, there was very little in the way of entertainment, although a few ferries may have had a cinema. Otherwise it was mostly food, which I think tended to be from a cafeteria (very modern...then). You bought your duty frees or one of the range of gifts: both offerings were limited. You would also have to collect your landing card. As time went on a few things like one-armed bandits appeared. Many people would just bring a book and a blanket, and read their way across.

As a personal opinion, I would say that the period, particular the 1960s saw considerable changes as the ferries changed from just being a means of crossing the Channel to something that was more of an attraction in itself. I can only remember the late 1960s.

Ediswan

Established Member
Longer crossings had a cinema (16mm). Other than that, not very different to today: cafe, bar, 'duty free', slot machines.

The big difference was the absence of stablisers. Prior to those, sea sickness was rife.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The longer crossings (e.g. Harwich / Hook) included cabins where you could try to sleep overnight.
Trying to eat on rough seas was inadvisable.

Aictos

Established Member
The longer crossings (e.g. Harwich / Hook) included cabins where you could try to sleep overnight.
Trying to eat on rough seas was inadvisable.
Probably the same back then but even on Tallinn to Helsinki today you have the option of a berth even on the day crossing as otherwise you have the duty free shop or the outside decking.

Status
Not open for further replies.