• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferry Services, shipping and Maritime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi.

I know there is a few of us on here including me with various levels of interest in Ferry and shipping services, both UK domestic and services to mainland Europe so thought I would start a thread for discussion on routes, timetables, tunnage/fleat (including orders, refits/refurbs, transfers, movements/allocations) and other such matters includimg Isle of Man and Scottish domestic contracts/tenders and the like.

Feel free to join in.

My first question is does anyone know/has anyone heard anything about bidding for the Scottish Government supported Northlink Northern Isles contract which should renew next year and is currently held by the horrible Serco?
Answers appreciated as well as further discussions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
can we have a word for worst ferry port? Sticking strictly to:
A: those in the British Isles
and
B: Those served by ferries to/from the British Isles.

Obviously there's huge variation in facilities, so be reasonable. It's perfectly reasonable that many CalMac "ferry ports" are a concrete slipway, a small marshalling area, a couple of signs and a bus shelter. That doesn't make a bad terminal.

The worst is easily Dunkirk. My experience may be coloured by the fact that I was travelling by bike, of course, but from what I saw on arrival from Dover, I doubt anyone ever has a pleasant experience there.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I havnt visited that one but you are not the first person who has said its a bit grim.

I think I was alone in liking the old Portsmouth Continental Ferry Port before it was replaced, not been to the new one.

Nicest I've visited in recent times has to be the terminal Facilities at Hul for the Europort saling.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I havnt visited that one but you are not the first person who has said its a bit grim.

I think I was alone in liking the old Portsmouth Continental Ferry Port before it was replaced, not been to the new one.

Nicest I've visited in recent times has to be the terminal Facilities at Hul for the Europort saling.

I liked the old Portsmouth Ferry Port - well, I had nothing against it , anyway. The rest of Portsmouth, though...:lol:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Since I don't travel by sea all that often, the only ferry terminals I've really used more than once are small CalMac slipways at Kilchoan, Tobermory, Largs (perhaps a bit more substantially equipped than most slipways it's size, but still rather basic) & Cumbrae - basic, but all functional & well-kept. The scenery surrounding them (particularly the former two) more than make up for the basic facilities on offer, as far as I'm concerned.

The only other ferry ports I've used besides CalMac's are P&O's Troon & Larne (Northern Ireland), but my memories of these are very hazy indeed (being over 10 years ago), so I can't really comment on the passenger facilities offered at either...

Liam

Established Member
The only other ferry ports I've used besides CalMac's are P&O's Troon & Larne (Northern Ireland), but my memories of these are very hazy indeed (being over 10 years ago), so I can't really comment on the passenger facilities offered at either...

Through work, I have back and forward the North Channel with my car on Stena 6 (3 out, 3 back) times since the turn of the year. I also crossed as a foot passenger a few years ago, shortly after the move from Stranraer to Cairnryan.

The passenger terminal at Cairnryan was quite basic as far as I can remember. Lots of seating and a coffee shop sort of thing. Close to the bus stands too. You can check your bags ar check-in, IIRC. I can't remember a thing about the passenger terminal in Belfast, but I would guess it's much the same as Cairnryan.

Both at Cairnryan and Belfast, the vehicle check-in process is very easy. Security has a look either in the boot, under the bonnet or underneath with the mirror on a stick thingy. All you need is your booking reference at check-in and you are good to go. I think you can go into the passenger terminal while you wait in lane to board the car decks, boarding of cars usually starts 30 minutes before departure (when check-in closes) The ferries themselves are clean with lots of seating, gift shop, coffee shop, restaurant, bar, comfy seats by the telly, cinema... Disembarking seems to take less time in Belfast, usually I'm straight off the ferry and on the motorway within 10 minutes.

Vehicle check-in on Calmac on the big ferries (Oban, Kennacraig, Ullapool, Stornaway, Uig, etc.) is similar to Stena, but it's been so long, so it may well have changed.

Most Calmac terminals that I have been to are fine, even some of the smaller ones have facilities. I remember there being an independent cafe and toilets at Fishnish. Uig terminal building is quite far from the ferry which is at the end of a long pier, so I think they bus foot passengers in bad weather. The last time I was at Ullapool, it was being rebuilt for the new ferry, so it was just a pair of portacabins in the marshalling area.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The new Portsmouth terminal is impressive, if a little soulless and airport-like. That plus Brittany Ferries makes for about the best foot passenger experience I've ever had.

Agreed. I did Portsmouth - Santander on thew Pont Aven last autumn and I was pleasantly surprised at how seamless it all was.

Liam

Established Member
Is Stenas food in the restaurant any good?
I've heard mixed things and personally for me dining at sea is one of the highlights.

I've never eaten in the restaurant. I usually just have a cuppa and cake from the coffee shop.

bangor-toad

I cross the Irish Sea fairly often. Here are a few thoughts:

To/From Cairnryan.
There's P&O from Larne and Stena from Belfast. The prices are often very similar and they generally copy the same special offer.

The P&O port at Larne is basic but pleasant enough.
The P&O ferry provides a fairly limited set of facilities over one deck. It really seems to be a focused on freight.

The Stena terminals at Belfast and Cairnryan are both modern and fairly pleasant. You can use the waiting area and cofffee shops as a foot passenger or if you're driving.
The checkin team at Cairnryan are often kind and let me get on even if I've not quite made it there before the official closing time. (Not recommend to try though!)

The Stena ferries seem bigger and with more facilties than the P&O ones. Stema has two decks available and there seems to me much more space.

The food on the Stena sailings, as mentioend already, is not at top notch resturant level but I eaten on board a few times and it's been reasonable cost and generally pretty good. I do like the unlimted coffee refills on a late sailing after a long drive up to the ferry.
Overall I prefer Stena to P&O fir crossings to/Cairnryan.

Coming later:
Belfast - Birkenhead on Stena
Warrenpoint - Heysham on Seatruck
Dublin - Liverpool on Seatruck
Dublin - Liverpool on P&O
Dublin - Holyhead on Stena

Cheers,
Mr Toad

bangor-toad

Belfast – Birkenhead (Stena)

This leaves from a different bit of Belfast docks from the Cairnryan service and had its own terminal. It’s modern but small. Birkenhead is much the same.
Foot passengers wait in a small lounge and are taken onto the ferry by a shuttle bus. This drops off and collects on the lower lorry deck and there’s an escalator that goes up to the main passenger areas. The bus in Birkenhead also does the run to Birkenhead Hamilton Road train station.

If you drive & pay for the Premium ticket you get to park on the lower lorry deck next to where the foot passengers are dropped off. This is important if you want to leave quickly once docked. Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey are not through ro-ro ferries where you drive in one end and out the other. They only have a rear loading so everything has to turn around. Also, cars are parked on the upper deck – above the passenger levels. There’s a ramp to get up to that area which is surprisingly steep and formidable if you’re not expecting it! Also when you’re manoeuvring a van (to turn it around up on that top deck) with poor visibility in the dark and the rain you’re acutely aware that you’re rather high with only a rather flimsy fence around you. Luckily the Stena staff are good at directing you.
The down side though is that if it’s a busy crossing they load the cars and then lift the ramp to fill that section with lorries. That means that when you arrive the lorries have to go first before any cars can leave. It can take almost an hour to leave once the ferry has docked.

The ferries are OK. They’re fairly large with places to sit. The restaurant isn’t bad and isn’t too expensive. There’s a small cinema showing a number of different film on the 8 hour crossing. It is a long crossing but it saves the drive up the M6 and across from Carlisle to Cairnryan.
There’s a day sailing and a night sailing. There’s no need for a cabin on the day crossing but I wouldn’t do the night sailing without one. You can get in the cabin on arrival but you strongly encouraged to leave it by about 5:45am, some 45 minutes before arrival. That can be a bit rough but a fried breakfast eases the bleariness...

Warrenpoint – Heysham & Dublin – Liverpool (Seatruck ferries)
Not on option many know about.
Seatruck provides an unaccompanied freight service. However, they also have capacity for 12 drivers / passengers on their ferries. This is normally for truck drivers but they do openly sell any spare capacity for general use.
The port facilities are a portakabin where the admin done. There are no other facilities. You wait in your car out of the way until someone comes to get you and then you follow them though the maze of lorries an onto the boat. There is no facility for foot passengers.

The ferries are built for industrial efficiency, not passenger comfort. They all have a rear loading ramp that lowers down onto whatever bit of handy concrete dock is available. There are different designs, some with lots of levels for freight and others with only a few. When you park up you are then directed to a walkway and ladder to get to the driver’s area. This is a large room with a couple of sofa’s, a TV and a couple of dining tables. There is a steward who takes your food order – anything is available provided it comes from a stereotypical truck driver’s diet. All the drivers get a cabin on every sailing included in the price. Normally it’s individual but on occasion may be shared with someone else.

Entertainment. It’s an industrial freight ferry. Apart from the TV there isn’t any. It’s about an 8 to 10 hour crossing so bring a book or if it’s a night sailing go to sleep. The timetable varies a bit and tickets aren’t generally available on all crossings so you’ve got to look if it’s at the right time for you. It is often cheaper than Stean or P&O in the high season and a little bit more in the quiet season.

If you are used to modern passenger ferries then it’s a bit of a shock! Personally I rather like Seatruck crossings and choose them if the times are right.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

BestWestern

Established Member
Of all the major ferry hubs, I'd suggest Portsmouth as being pretty much the UK's best currently? A modern, airy building, a Costa and a bar restaurant, decent facilities and even a glazed outside viewing area. Works nicely for me. A busy port too, but tidy and well run and not so large to be a headache.

A few comparisons I've had the pleasure of include Poole, which is awful and comprises a sort of semi-derelict wooden shack; Hull, which is modern and vast but seemed to lack much in the way of facilities and was all stairs and windows; and of course Dover, which is... well, just Dover! To be endured, rather than enjoyed. France-wise I've always liked Le Havre, both the city and the port, but it's not everyone's cuppa I know!

Back in the good old P&O days, from Pompey you could do a return crossing on a bonafide cruise ferry - the 'Olau twins' Pride of Portsmouth & Le Havre were lovely old tubs, but sadly not suited to the largely freight needs of the route - for just a quid! They ran the promotion for years, which I suppose was never a good sign really! If you were more daring you could plump for three days on the legendary Pride of Bilbao, always an experience! For a short time there was the 'new' Pride of Cherbourg, a former Irish Ferries vessel complete with themed Irish pub and aft fully glazed 'conservatory' to park yourself in and watch progress. And then of course there were the fast craft, the rather glam Superstar Express and later Portsmouth Express. The Portsmouth could have you vomiting on a flat sea! Happy days, thankfully Brittany have done a good job of keeping all of those routes alive and well, and presumably making a profit too!

Keeping it local, Portsmouth of course also has the links to the Isle of Wight, with Hovertravel taking the prize for most entertaining crossing :D The Gosport Ferry gives a decent opportunity for a harbour crossing for peanuts, and their fleet now comprises three newbuilds, the 50 year old 'Queens' now both having moved on to new lives on the Thames carting drunken partygoers back and forth.

Last edited:
if you want to hear Justified compliants about ferries, speak to a manxperson ... the Steam racket isn;t known as Steam racket for fun ...

theageofthetra

On Moderation
if you want to hear Justified compliants about ferries, speak to a manxperson ... the Steam racket isn;t known as Steam racket for fun ...

Isn't there a way you can buy enough shares in the company so you get free trips?

Liam

Established Member

Seatruck also own the two Northern Isles freight ferries Helliar and Hildasay which are on long term charter to Northlink. They have also chartered other vessels to Northlink and Calmac in the past,the Clipper Ranger was the Stornoway Freight ferry for a few years prior to the Loch Seaforth's introduction.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I didnt know about the Seatruck option, really good to know if traveling with a driver and suits me as the fun of it all is largely being at sea not how many facilitys there are and the thought of a huge bellybuster fry and coffee with truckers appeals a lot, good for a laught too!

Cheers for other reviews etc.

What is wrong with Isle of Man Steam Packet then? I was always under the impression they did a good job.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Portsmouth International is a decent port, yes- when the new building opened it was in the middle of a run of a few years where I had an annual trip to Brittany, it was a very welcome upgrade even for the passenger in a motor vehicle (when travelling with a driver who liked to be "punctual").

In a way it's an odd thing to have so heavily invested in- foot passengers on ferries were made a distinctly niche market by the rise of budget airlines (thus the death of many port railway stations).

dgl

Established Member
The new condor check-in/waiting area at Weymouth was nice for the short time it lasted, the old one, well it kept you dry but dilapidated is being nice to it.

BestWestern

Established Member
Portsmouth International is a decent port, yes- when the new building opened it was in the middle of a run of a few years where I had an annual trip to Brittany, it was a very welcome upgrade even for the passenger in a motor vehicle (when travelling with a driver who liked to be "punctual").

In a way it's an odd thing to have so heavily invested in- foot passengers on ferries were made a distinctly niche market by the rise of budget airlines (thus the death of many port railway stations).

I suppose the idea is to encourage car pax to leave their vehicles and venture inside for a coffee? The fast craft service probably increases the foot passenger throughput to a degree I would imagine?

route101

Established Member
Agreed. I did Portsmouth - Santander on thew Pont Aven last autumn and I was pleasantly surprised at how seamless it all was.

Nice to see you on this forum , i thought it was you before i clicked the link :D

route101

Established Member
Belfast – Birkenhead (Stena)

This leaves from a different bit of Belfast docks from the Cairnryan service and had its own terminal. It’s modern but small. Birkenhead is much the same.
Foot passengers wait in a small lounge and are taken onto the ferry by a shuttle bus. This drops off and collects on the lower lorry deck and there’s an escalator that goes up to the main passenger areas. The bus in Birkenhead also does the run to Birkenhead Hamilton Road train station.

If you drive & pay for the Premium ticket you get to park on the lower lorry deck next to where the foot passengers are dropped off. This is important if you want to leave quickly once docked. Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey are not through ro-ro ferries where you drive in one end and out the other. They only have a rear loading so everything has to turn around. Also, cars are parked on the upper deck – above the passenger levels. There’s a ramp to get up to that area which is surprisingly steep and formidable if you’re not expecting it! Also when you’re manoeuvring a van (to turn it around up on that top deck) with poor visibility in the dark and the rain you’re acutely aware that you’re rather high with only a rather flimsy fence around you. Luckily the Stena staff are good at directing you.
The down side though is that if it’s a busy crossing they load the cars and then lift the ramp to fill that section with lorries. That means that when you arrive the lorries have to go first before any cars can leave. It can take almost an hour to leave once the ferry has docked.

The ferries are OK. They’re fairly large with places to sit. The restaurant isn’t bad and isn’t too expensive. There’s a small cinema showing a number of different film on the 8 hour crossing. It is a long crossing but it saves the drive up the M6 and across from Carlisle to Cairnryan.
There’s a day sailing and a night sailing. There’s no need for a cabin on the day crossing but I wouldn’t do the night sailing without one. You can get in the cabin on arrival but you strongly encouraged to leave it by about 5:45am, some 45 minutes before arrival. That can be a bit rough but a fried breakfast eases the bleariness...

Not on option many know about.
Seatruck provides an unaccompanied freight service. However, they also have capacity for 12 drivers / passengers on their ferries. This is normally for truck drivers but they do openly sell any spare capacity for general use.
The port facilities are a portakabin where the admin done. There are no other facilities. You wait in your car out of the way until someone comes to get you and then you follow them though the maze of lorries an onto the boat. There is no facility for foot passengers.

The ferries are built for industrial efficiency, not passenger comfort. They all have a rear loading ramp that lowers down onto whatever bit of handy concrete dock is available. There are different designs, some with lots of levels for freight and others with only a few. When you park up you are then directed to a walkway and ladder to get to the driver’s area. This is a large room with a couple of sofa’s, a TV and a couple of dining tables. There is a steward who takes your food order – anything is available provided it comes from a stereotypical truck driver’s diet. All the drivers get a cabin on every sailing included in the price. Normally it’s individual but on occasion may be shared with someone else.

Entertainment. It’s an industrial freight ferry. Apart from the TV there isn’t any. It’s about an 8 to 10 hour crossing so bring a book or if it’s a night sailing go to sleep. The timetable varies a bit and tickets aren’t generally available on all crossings so you’ve got to look if it’s at the right time for you. It is often cheaper than Stean or P&O in the high season and a little bit more in the quiet season.

If you are used to modern passenger ferries then it’s a bit of a shock! Personally I rather like Seatruck crossings and choose them if the times are right.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

Interesting , i was at Heysham other day i seen one of the seatruck ships and wondered what it was about . i seen all the trailers parked up , i guess its mostly trailers and not the cabs that go on.

route101

Established Member
Last week i used the Douglas to Heysham ferry .
Ferry terminal at Douglas was surprisingly big and featured a Costa and WHS smith . The ship was Ben y Chree i think . Wasnt a whole lot seating inside but there was a bar and a cafe . I sat outside . Crossing was smooth for the most part and there was oil/gas rigs to see which kinda looked eerie ( Do they use helicopters or boats to transport employees to them? )
Heysham terminal was a lot older and smaller . I seen Police in Douglas terminal , do you they ever check peoples ID or do customs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.