• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferry Services, shipping and Maritime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
I used it once. I was a passenger in the car so can't remember much of what the port was like as I slept through most of the journey. The boat service itself was quite ramshackle. The only reasonable point of reference I can think of is quite niche but if anyone had any experience of sailing on B&I lines in the early 90's you may have sailed on Isle Of Innisfree, it was a charter ship which had seen better days and which was being run into the ground

Thanks. I certainly remember B&I and the charter ship - never knew it's name though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
The only reasonable point of reference I can think of is quite niche but if anyone had any experience of sailing on B&I lines in the early 90's you may have sailed on Isle Of Innisfree, it was a charter ship which had seen better days and which was being run into the ground (quite nearly literally on one unfortunate occasion at Holyhead due to a failed engine and a strong side wind).

Sorry but that is some way off the truth. B&I had their troubles, mainly financial, but to characterise them as being ramshackle or shoddy is not true.

There were 2 ships named Isle Of Innisfree used on Dublin-Holyhead by B&I (by then sold to ICG/Irish Ferries) in the 1990s and neither could by any margin be described as ramshackle or run into the ground.

The first was a charter from Stena, the then 6 year old Stena Nautica at the time she was the largest ferry on the Irish Sea and is still in service with Stena Line more than 20 years later.

The second was a new build ordered by B&I replacing the chartered ship of the same name in 1995

You may be thinking of the Leinster / Isle Of Innismore which was the second of 2 ferries built in Cork for B&I and operated on Dublin-Liverpool and Dublin-Holyhead by them from new. By the mid 90's she would have been rather old-fashioned inside but was and still is a fine vessel. She was sold 20 years ago and is still sailing now off the west coast of Canada alongside 2 other elderly former Irish Sea ferries.

Grumpy

I should like to commend Tyne ie North Shields. Very good road access from the A19 and a pleasant modern terminal.

kevconnor

Sorry but that is some way off the truth. B&I had their troubles, mainly financial, but to characterise them as being ramshackle or shoddy is not true.

There were 2 ships named Isle Of Innisfree used on Dublin-Holyhead by B&I (by then sold to ICG/Irish Ferries) in the 1990s and neither could by any margin be described as ramshackle or run into the ground.

The first was a charter from Stena, the then 6 year old Stena Nautica at the time she was the largest ferry on the Irish Sea and is still in service with Stena Line more than 20 years later.

The second was a new build ordered by B&I replacing the chartered ship of the same name in 1995

You may be thinking of the Leinster / Isle Of Innismore which was the second of 2 ferries built in Cork for B&I and operated on Dublin-Liverpool and Dublin-Holyhead by them from new. By the mid 90's she would have been rather old-fashioned inside but was and still is a fine vessel. She was sold 20 years ago and is still sailing now off the west coast of Canada alongside 2 other elderly former Irish Sea ferries.

I thought it was the Isle of Inisfree but I will bow to greater knowledge, I agree B&I generally were good I just have recollection of one boat which was on a few times (could possibly have all been within a short time of each other) which looked like it had seen better days. I remember the new Isle of Innismore coming into service in 1997 quite clearly. Having done some quick searching and found some images on the Isle of Inishmore I think you are right on this one. Found these from when it is in service in 2006 http://www.hhvferry.com/can_al_06_2_1.html which show how it was then.

unlevel42

Ijmuiden arrival on Thursday 5th October from Newcastle involved a helicopter winching a pilot on board and being pushed around by a gale force wind and two big tugs. Is this normal?

kevconnor

So finally the week before last I had the opportunity to use Seatruck Ferries on Heysham to Dublin on an overnight service. the service was, depending on what you read either scheduled for 2am - 10am or 2am -11am, i guess this extra time was to give some leeway in the schedule. Anyway was advised to arrive by midnight at Heysham for the sailing, got there at about 23:45 to be advised they were running about an hour behind due to a backlog caused by ex hurricane ophelia passing through Ireland and they would get me on-board at about 3am. I spoke before about the other ferry services which use similar ships and they get passengers boarded first of all on the upper deck, Seatrucks seemingly do the opposite, downside being there is more waiting around at the start of the journey, upside being I don't think I have been disembarked and leaving Dublin port (or any port) as quickly as I was the next morning.

Accessing the boat is not for those who have difficulty with mobility. when you see warning advising not accessable I normally dont pay too much attention but this was a proper ship with only accessible on outside exposed metal stairs and walkways which were open to the elements and were very slippy.

Once inside it was a nice environment, got my own cabin, when I asked which I was in was told 'whichever just don't go too far down.' got a good nights sleep and then in the morning the offer was unusual for what I considered breakfast time (scampi, steak, fish) but they were happy enough just to whip up some scrambled eggs. Then entering north wall normally I am use to seeing the ship dock and then casually meadering down to the car to be offloaded after some more waiting around, i seen it dock a few mins later one of crew come through 'what are you doing here you need to go.' so go down to car deck and sure enough they had already docked and were offloading, well some were others were waiting for me. two mins or so later and I was heading into the port tunnel on my way to the Kingdom.

Overall a nice sailing and good value for money, not suited to families but if you can forgo some of the creature comforts and if the 2/3am departure is OK its worth it.

Goldie

UKBF have stopped all private immigration clearance at Immingham now, so you'd basically need to be pre-declared as a haulier. You'd *really* have to want to do it...

That seems a real shame. After a couple of great journeys from Hull to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam, I started casting around for other destinations that I could reach by ferry from Yorkshire. I was really keen on Germany or Scandinavia, and went from being dejected when I realised I'd missed Newcastle - Norway ferries by a few years, to elated at the possibility of maybe sailing from Immingham, to dejected again when I realised that (as you say) it was basically impossible unless you were a haulier. I think there must be some demand there, and using the existing freight focussed service seems like a good way to capitalise on it for the shipping line.

stut

Established Member
That seems a real shame. After a couple of great journeys from Hull to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam, I started casting around for other destinations that I could reach by ferry from Yorkshire. I was really keen on Germany or Scandinavia, and went from being dejected when I realised I'd missed Newcastle - Norway ferries by a few years, to elated at the possibility of maybe sailing from Immingham, to dejected again when I realised that (as you say) it was basically impossible unless you were a haulier. I think there must be some demand there, and using the existing freight focussed service seems like a good way to capitalise on it for the shipping line.

There probably is. There's demand for Harwich-Esbjerg too, and for Ramsgate-Oostende, although the business cases are borderline.

There are primarily-freight services elsewhere that make themselves more available to your general punter (Finnlines, for example) but I do wonder about the general public's taste for the quality of onboard facilities (particularly compared to the likes of Stena Line). Never mind "lagom", the foot passenger experience at Malmo port is quite the exercise in Nordic minimalism. Hint: make sure you have Google Maps and data roaming, because the taxi drivers' GPS probably won't take them there...

However, this isn't really about that, it's about UKBF. They've got no money. They can barely keep essential services going, so the discretionary ones (like personal clearance at Immingham) simply aren't going to happen.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I thought Brittany Ferries used to run Cork-Spain direct? Anyway, they're going Economie from Cork to Santander this year
Brittany Ferries has announced what it says is the first ever direct ferry link between Ireland and Spain, with tickets for sale by the end of January.

The company will operate two direct return sailings weekly from Cork to Santander in Northern Spain, it says, from the end of April to November of this year.

A new ship will be chartered to serve the route, based on the économie model it already runs on services from the UK to France and Spain.

It will offer "a comfortable, no-frills service with a distinctly Spanish theme".

Crossings will take approximately 26 hours, with departures from Cork on Wednesdays and Fridays. Lead-in prices have yet to be announced.

The 'Connemara' will carry around 500 passengers with space for 195 cars, and the company expects a 50/50 split between passengers and freight carried.

Cork-Santander%20Map%20Irish%20Web.jpg
Cork to Santander map (Courtesy of Brittany Ferries)
120 cabins on the ship will feature beds for up to four passengers, and some will be pet-friendly. There will also be a small shop, café-bar and passenger lounges.

The ship will also deliver an additional weekly return sailing from Cork to Roscoff, a route that started 40 years ago, on St. Patrick's Day in 1978.

“This is a significant move for Brittany Ferries, offering haulage companies a direct route to Spain and passengers a far greater range of holiday options from Cork,” said Hugh Bruton, general manager with Brittany Ferries Ireland.

Santander is a short drive from Bilbao and San Sebastian, offering motorists willing to undertake the long journey a direct drop-off in 'green Spain'.

Until now, travellers wishing to take their car or a ferry to Spain had to travel via the UK or France. In 2014, LD Lines launched a connection from Rosslare to Spain (Gijón) via a 'landbridge' service in St Nazaire, but this ran only for a brief period.

The option for freight carriers to bypass the UK land bridge will be seen as very attractive, as Brexit uncertainty continues," added Captain Michael McCarthy, Commercial Manager at the Port of Cork, which welcomed the service.

The news comes as Irish Ferries prepares to take delivery of a new, €144 million cruise ferry for its Dublin-France service, the W.B. Yeats.

It, together with Brittany's new investment in the Cork-Roscoff route, will provide a big injection of capacity to France in 2018.

The vessel has been around a bit- started off on Balearic services, then moved to the Baltic, then cross-Mediterranean, then was in fact the vessel on the St Nazaire-Gijon route, before moving to Poole-Santander/Gijon. Short spell on Birkenhead-Belfast. Last few years in the Adriatic and Ionian. Not bad for an 11 yr old vessel!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Apparenty the Connemara is going to be initially flagged in Limassol, before moving to France within the next 3 years.

telstarbox

Established Member
Uber Boat (formerly Thames Clippers) are trying the London to Gravesend service again:

Kent day trippers can enjoy a new way to get to the capital with a summer Uber Boat service. London’s leading river bus provider, Uber Boat by Thames Clippers, will be running a special Saturday service this August. And if it is successful, it could become a permanent fixture on the water.

Uber Boats will run a summer special service from Gravesend to Greenwich and London
The trip will depart from Town Pier in Gravesend on August 7 at 9.45am. It will call at North Greenwich Pier at 10.40am before terminating at London Bridge City Pier at 11am.

It will give families the opportunity to travel to the O2 where they can enjoy multiple attractions including a climbing experience with Up At The O2, shopping at Icon Outlet, trampolining at Oxygen Freejumping, or test out their football skills at the new interactive football and dining experience TOCA Social which is opening this summer.

Flying Snail

Established Member
By the way has anyone on here tried the new Stena vessels between Liverpool and Belfast yet?

Not Belfast - Liverpool but I have been on Stena Estrid (the near identical sister of the Liverpool pair) on Dublin - Holyhead.

A definite upgrade on the 3 ships they have replaced, nice spacious layout with plenty of seating areas. Big restaurant/lounge overlooking the bow and the large bar/lounge with glass roof midships are excellent spaces. My only disappointment is the premium "hygge" recliner lounge is inside, I'm not inclined to pay a premium to sit inside a windowless box. The equivalent lounges on the other Irish Sea ships have decent views.

I haven't tried the cabins, it's not really worth it on the short Holyhead route unless they are dirt cheap. I would certainly take one on the Liverpool route, particularly on the night crossings. As there are considerably more on these ships they shouldn't be booked out and if you are feeling flush there are some premium cabins at the stern with direct access to a veranda.

The former Belfast - Liverpool ships have moved to a Baltic sea route after being lengthened and refurbished to improve their accommodation but the Irish sea services definitely got the better deal with the 3 new ships.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
My one and only previous voyage on Belfast Liverpool with Stena Mersey was quite acceptable, I wonder what the scope of the accommodation refurbishment was for the Baltic sea? I certainly felt on a busy September Saturday evening when the vessel was relatively near capacity although not full that more space was needed especially when it came to breakfast service on the Sunday morning with everybody TF2 off at 6:30 at Birkenhead, it made the restaurant extremely busy

No windows in the recliner lounge is definitely a mistake. I'm glad to hear such a positive report otherwise though as I intend going for a sale later in the year

thejuggler

I've recently booked a trip with Calmac for a day trip to Coll to tick another island off. Ship is scheduled to be Clansman. Last time I was on it was Oban to Islay via Colonsay about 10 years ago and it was touch and go whether we would leave.

We did leave and thankfully we had taken the sea sickness tabs, many others hadn't!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I want approached the restaurant on the the Aberdeen to Northern isles Orkney and Shetland service on a very rough evening in the middle of winter. The place was empty and no food was actually on display but the venue itself was open and staff were there. A question of was I ok from the staff was followed by a response from me that I wanted to eat. Momentary panic and then they disappeared into the kitchen and came back with the chef who said you're the only person who's showing the remotest interesting food tonight, ignore the menu what would you like?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Steak, mushrooms and tomatoes and onion rings instead of chips. Large glass of white wine and a couple of whiskies afterwards. The bartender also went through the shocked at anyone interested in something that wasn't a cup of tea routine when I asked for him to serve me. Getting off in the morning the hotel director on board came and congratulated me and and said that I'd make a good semen

danm14

This must be tried at some point.

By the way has anyone on here tried the new Stena vessels between Liverpool and Belfast yet?
The Stena Edda and Embla are completely identical. They are beautiful, spacious ships. There's a variety of seating areas and three food areas (a bar, restaurant and cafe - although only the restaurant is open at present). Hot drinks are half price for every one after your first if you keep your receipt. There are outdoor areas on both sides of the ship - supposedly smoking on one side and non-smoking on the other (but sadly with no enforcement of the latter). There's also a massive sundeck on the top, and a poorly signed very well sheltered outdoor area behind the cabins - useful if you need to make a private phone call when a weak signal becomes available as the ship rounds the Isle of Man. There's a childrens' play area (closed at present), two cinemas, video game and gambling machines, and a sizeable shop.

The cabins, however, (at least the regular ones, unsure about the premium ones) leave a lot to be desired. Both times I've sailed (once on each ship) the cabin wasn't very clean - on the second it hadn't been cleaned at all and was absolutely filthy - but the bed linen had been changed, or at least made to look like it was. We're talking the previous occupant's keycard still in the bin, a thick layer of dust everywhere, hair everywhere, stains on the toilet and what looked like faeces smeared on the shower walls and curtain. The cabins on deck 8 are also directly above the car deck, so you get to listen to car alarms going off all through the sailing, as despite the announcements, nobody bothers to disable them. They have a table that barely fits a 13" laptop, and a TV with a selection of channels so dire that you'd think they surveyed people as to which channels to include, and only included the ones not mentioned - not even BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 were included, although BBC1 was (and roughly 15 regional variations thereof to be precise)

Last edited:

danm14

That's a bit disappointing about the state of the accommodation already. Interesting the only the restaurant is open at the moment, not even any service at the bar? Ok disappointing
You can purchase the full range of alcohol at the restaurant, including draught beer. There's no requirement to purchase food at the same time (although there was in April, presumably to avoid people filling the ferries to go drinking when you couldn't on land).

Established Member
Staying on the theme of Stena e-flexers.

DFDS Cote d'Opale has entered service between Dover and Calais. Also 3 more e-flexers have been ordered, one for Maine Atlantic in Canada and two more for Brittany Ferries. The latter two being LNG-Electric hybrid vessels and will replace the Normandy and Bretagne on the Caen and St Malo routes.

unlevel42

Travelled on the Stena Estrid between Holyhead and Belfast at night and on the day Stena Edda service from Belfast to Birkenhead (passing Stena Embla off the Isle of Man) in July.
Restaurant and bar open and very enjoyable.
4 berth for one excellent, shower excellent.
Top deck viewing excellent.
Negatives:
Tannoy very poor.
No fruit available with my fry up.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
What are the issues with the tannoy system?

Changing topic of it I rent at the start of 2020 but DFDS were about to replace both vessels on the newcastle-amsterdam service. As this now happened? I can't find anything just it either has or has not

unlevel42

What are the issues with the tannoy system?
The disembarkation instructions at Belfast for foot passengers could not be heard clearly.
The announcement was fine, the accent was no problem, it was the sound quality was 'tinny' which indicted a microphone problem to me. I think the higher frequencies made it harder for those with age/industrial related hearing loss.
At Birkenhead I did not bother with the announcement and just went to the information desk and waited there. Everybody was very helpful.
Excellent staff.
Excellent ships.

BayPaul

Established Member
Changing topic of it I rent at the start of 2020 but DFDS were about to replace both vessels on the newcastle-amsterdam service. As this now happened? I can't find anything just it either has or has not
Still no changes - they wanted to take two ships from Moby Lines (Moby Aki and Moby Freedom - two impressive modern fast cruise ferries that would have been ideal for the route). Moby were prevented from selling them by their creditors, so the deal fell through - Moby is still in financial straights and are talking again about selling ships, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the deal back on the table at some point.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
In a past life I did a job which involved talking into a public address system. Only when I had been doing this job for a few weeks was I absolutely amazed at the number of people who've never been given any training on the best way to talk into a public address system.

Status
Not open for further replies.