• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW 180s to Scotland!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Scotrail Gen said:
To the First Great Western people on the site, enjoy the Class 180s
while you can, because they won't be staying for much longer ...

Can't say any more than that, otherwise my wrists will be slapped, but
their new passengers will think they are wee bonny units in the
summer ;)

Taken from First Group Rail Yahoo !

See next meaasge
I will be pleased to see them go!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew

The SRA Great Western RUS always planned for some 16xs to go to Bristol so that's not a suprise.

The 180s is a dissappointment though - the Costwold line won't run HSTs for most of the day (I don't think - short platforms at Hanborough don't have HST grandfather rights, as I'm lead to believe) so I guess it's back to 165/6s for those services! They'll probably be fewer direct services to London then - as the Cotswold/Malvern line will now probably connect to the new Oxford HSTs (if that's what's happening, which I guess it is) - but I thought FGW had said Hereford/Worcester/GMalvern would not get a reduced direct London service.

It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

ikar

tubechallenger said:
Class 165s :) :D

Yay, 100mph trains on 125mph diagrams; 125mph trains on 100mph diagrams.

I amagine a 165 doing Exeter stoppers, first Cardiff train, last from Swansea... at least they wont go to Penzance... or maybe they will...

joeholmes

I STRONGLY STRONGLY doubt that the 180s will go to Scotland, and personally, if they do go, i will be sad to see them go! Nice trains!

Joe

jonb

Established Member
Personally I don't see the problem with the 180's I travelled on them extensively on 2004 mainly between Paddington - Reading. Maybe they are more suited for shorter journeys I havent been on one on a long journey...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
well a 90mph turbo can actually run to a HST 125mph diagram. As my freind who cannot be named for obvious reasons who works at FGW said the 165s can work to a 125 diagram because of the quick acceleration and braking compared to a HST.

but a 180 in scotland, christ, what Glasgow to Wick?

'First Scotrail welcomes you to this..Wick..services...calling at...BLAHBLAHBLAH...5 hours later...and wick. Priority sea'...SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

:P

jonb

Established Member
Not the point these are ideally suited to stopping services where HST's would not usually be able to be accomodated on. I agree though the announcements can be intrusive but are informative.

jonb

Established Member
Are they not used on Semi Fast Cheltenham services as well and maybe they are'nt used on stopping services in the Peak unless there is a stock shortage or earlier failure. They also have the same door layout as the Mark 3's!

joeholmes

There fine for the services they do at the mo!

They are a good train.. People who travel on them daily (i.e my dad) can vouch for that!

Joe

joy54.gen

Well 180s being replaced on most lines by HSTs seems a result for me. the only line that seems to be losing out is the Cotswold Line which had lots of 165s when I travelled on it anyway so just more of the same for them and it didn't seem that important to me. If the 180s replaced 170s on Glasgow to Edinburgh that would seem a result to me, as that may then displace some units to replace the 158s in the Inverness area which may then displace onto the West Highland Line making Scotland alot more improved all round.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Methinks this is just a cost cutting measure by First, use some HSTs with zero leasing costs because they're owned by First, and send the leased 180s to Scotland for the Scottish Exec to pay for them.

TAS

Mojo said:
Methinks this is just a cost cutting measure by First, use some HSTs with zero leasing costs because they're owned by First, and send the leased 180s to Scotland for the Scottish Exec to pay for them.
All in all very sensible then (in my opinion).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Possibly, but 180s are not really suited for Glasgow - Edinburgh, and 180s are far nicer for most pax than a 16x or a HST, as well as being suited to the route, due to faster acceleration, 125mph top speed, and the fact that they're long-distance, but semi-fast and local services.

Craig

Established Member
joy54.gen said:
If the 180s replaced 170s on Glasgow to Edinburgh that would seem a result to me, as that may then displace some units to replace the 158s in the Inverness area which may then displace onto the West Highland Line making Scotland alot more improved all round.
IMO if they do go to FSR they would be more suited to Inverness/Aberdeen services as they have a buffet. Also, IIRC, 158s are currently banned from the WHL, so there's unlikely to be any improvement there (unless FSR decide to acquire some 37/4s and mk2s... :lol:).

As for comfort, I've travelled on them between London and Bristol a few times and found them to be comfortable enough.

86242 said:
The front and back coaches only have one door in...
The TGS and buffet coaches on an HST also only have one door (the other being staff only).

joy54.gen

Ah didn't realise that WHL wasn't cleared for 158s, well most of Scotland would see improvements as the 180s could no dobut displace enough 170s to send up to Inverness to get rid of the 158s up there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
180s in Scotland has already been declared as a rumour unfounded in 2005 by First. Why has this come back to light? 180s WON'T go to Scotland, I'm standing firm on this. Just you watch, 180s won't go to Scotland. I'm waiting to do a Cartman taunt at you lot who believe it will happen.

EDIT: Clearances would be an issue in Scotland, as would choosing a route most suitable for them.

Still, I can't wait to see how long it will be between this 180 rumour and the next... :roll:

Julian G

Established Member
86242 said:
jonb said:
Personally I don't see the problem with the 180's I travelled on them extensively on 2004 mainly between Paddington - Reading. Maybe they are more suited for shorter journeys I havent been on one on a long journey...

Just compare one to a Mk3!
can't they use cl57s Top'N'Tail+Mk3s?

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
1288gaje said:
86242 said:
jonb said:

Just compare one to a Mk3!
can't they use cl57s Top'N'Tail+Mk3s?

If they had any sense. What is the point of having 4 recently rebuilt locos which are needed 2 trains each night!

Status
Not open for further replies.