• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW 57 shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Now that most/all of the Virgin 57's are with other operators I wonder what FGW will use when they are short of 57/6's for the sleepers?

Will they be in touch with West Coast, DRS or Network Rail?

Are the ex Virgin examples still equipped with ETH/ train supply?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
They have used an 08 to shunt the set before so can presumably run with just two locos if needed.

Yew

Established Member
They have used HST power cars before.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I believe that the 57/3s that are now in use with both Network Rail and DRS are still intended to be used as rescue locomotives for passenger trains, on the Southern region and the West Coast respectively, so they retain their train supply capabilities. I think it is the case that Virgin have decided to outsource their requirement for thunderbird locos to DRS rather than keeping them in-house.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They have used HST power cars before.
Which has to be a last resort (Or used when the fault that has failed the 57 does not preclude it continuing to provide train supply) as the HST power cars are unable to provide train supply to the sleeper stock.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Which has to be a last resort (Or used when the fault that has failed the 57 does not preclude it continuing to provide train supply) as the HST power cars are unable to provide train supply to the sleeper stock.
It also relies on the use of the emergency bar coupling on the HST powercars, hauling the sleeper when there are no 57s available isn't an emergency. Rescuing the sleeper if it has failed is a different matter of course.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Now that most/all of the Virgin 57's are with other operators I wonder what FGW will use when they are short of 57/6's for the sleepers?

I am sure they will shout if they are short.

They can have any flavour of 57 - if they pay for it ;)

D365

Veteran Member

I am sure they will shout if they are short.

They can have any flavour of 57 - if they pay for it ;)

Rent two and get a 47 thrown in? I kinda wish there were more of these and less of the 66...

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I've had 2 HST power cars back to back hauling a failed 57 and a full Sleeper set. It was Hellfire!

Kali

It also relies on the use of the emergency bar coupling on the HST powercars, hauling the sleeper when there are no 57s available isn't an emergency. Rescuing the sleeper if it has failed is a different matter of course.

Curious - are HST buckeye couplers incompatible with normal drophead buckeyes? presumably you could throw a generator car in for ETS. Of course no through wiring so you'd only actually be able to control one powercar if you bookended the rake like a normal set & they probably wouldn't let you up Dainton...

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
No, as you said it's the fact the ETS supply is not compatible and there are no HST MU cables that preclude power cars top and tailing. Conventional drawgear are also not fitted to the sharp end either so really the towbar used is not suitable for normal use, just or emergency rescue purposes.

Mind I do wonder wether using the DVT HST cars could be looked into in future and if conversion work would warrant the cost, just a thought...

Kali

Having checked the RSSB it's an Alliance coupler ( a US pattern, I think ) so you need a barrier vehicle too, but... you could use a barrier vehicle, obviously. Well, a pair at each end. Add on the gen van and a single powercar would "enjoy" itself, but hell it's not the fastest service ever! Laira would have to send an extra pair for piloting still.

If they wanted to go that route then putting a HST intermediate coupler on each end ( swapping Mk3 couplers is proven already so no new paperwork ) & using radio MU control and a generator van would seem easiest. Seems a suitable place for a few retired powercars one day.

83G/84D

Established Member
I think HST power cars are a last resort to clear the line as a result of a failure. Anyone remember the loco-hauled HST coaches with a (generator) van each end? Saw it in Plymouth a few times. Probably late 80's/early 90's?
Used to have special instructions for it's use in the Sectional Appendix, anyone got any pictures?

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Found this on youtube. I was not on this one but i've been on the Sleeper when this has happened!

[youtube]lJYbXNy5cWQ[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.