• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Adelante now in passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm321412

Will the 180s run to Swindon, Cheltenham Spa and Gloucester if they are routed that way to Worcester and Great Malvern?

I don't think so, was given the impression that they will replace most Turbos on the Cotswold Line once their full introduction happens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
details.html

From the timings, this could well be the Adelante from PAD to OXF, anyone got any info

TEW

Established Member
Will the 180s run to Swindon, Cheltenham Spa and Gloucester if they are routed that way to Worcester and Great Malvern?

Unlikely to happen normally, as there is only five of them and they have been acquired specifically to remove Turbos from the Cotswold line route they are going to have to be in use pretty much exclusively on the route to remove all the Turbo workings.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
details.html

From the timings, this could well be the Adelante from PAD to OXF, anyone got any info

It was the 16:49 PAD-OXF, formed of an HST.

Aictos

Established Member
It was 180103. Currently planned for the following trains to be 180s Mondays-Fridays:
1W29 1120 PAD-GMV
1P57 1426 GMV-PAD
1D53 1718 PAD-OXF
1P75 1931 OXF-PAD

There is still a morning test trip to Oxford as well. More 180s will come into service as more return from refurbishment with a full service with 5 units planned by September.

Is it a sure thing for 1P57 1426 GMV-PAD to be Class 180 operated or is it only a 50/50 chance that it will be and instead have a HST operate it?

Got a trip planned to the Southern/Western region soon and I like to jump on one to Paddington as I be heading home that way.

TEW

Established Member
180 or 165/6. Won't be an HST. It will be a 180 unless it fails, so it's a pretty good chance of being a 180.

lemonic

Is it a sure thing for 1P57 1426 GMV-PAD to be Class 180 operated or is it only a 50/50 chance that it will be and instead have a HST operate it?

Got a trip planned to the Southern/Western region soon and I like to jump on one to Paddington as I be heading home that way.

I travelled on this train today and it was a 180 so quite possible.

spark001uk

Established Member
If anyone's interested, I did a rover yesterday and noted some of their movements. All 5 units are now delivered, with 4 in service and 1 in the shed.

102:
0954 GMV-PAD
1421 PAD-WOF

103:
1206 WOF-PAD
1450 PAD-OXF

104:
OOC shed

106:
1120 PAD-GMV
1426 GMV-PAD

108:
1221 PAD-GMV
1522 GMV-OXF
1706 OXF-PAD

As I say this may well not be all the workings, they're just the ones I noted.

jimm

Established Member
to the best of my knowledge, the full set of diagrams is

05.48 Paddington to Worcester FS
08.26 Worcester FS to Paddington
11.20 PAD to Gt Malvern
14.26 Gt Malvern to PAD
17.18 PAD to Oxford
19.31 Oxford to PAD

05.22 PAD to OXF
07.21 OXF to PAD
12.21. PAD to GMV
15.22 GMV to OXF
17.06 OXF to PAD
19.18 PAD to OXF

05.59 Reading to PAD
06.48 PAD to GMV
09.54 GMV to PAD
14.21 PAD to WOF
17.28 WOF to PAD

07.02 OXF to PAD
09.21 PAD to WOF
12.06 WOF to PAD
14.50 PAD to OXF
17.32 OXF to GMV
19.44 GMV to PAD

180104 was the last set to come back from Kilmarnock but while it returned from Scotland some weeks ago, it needed work (on wheel bearings?) after a long period parked out of use at Old Oak Common in the past couple of years, so was only fit for service in the last week or so, with all four 180 diagrams starting to operate this week.

180104 was the last set to come back from Kilmarnock but while it returned from Scotland some weeks ago, it needed work (on wheel bearings?) after a long period parked out of use at Old Oak Common in the past couple of years, so was only fit for service in the last week or so, with all four 180 diagrams starting to operate this week.

180102 was the last set to come back from Kilmarnock.

180104 was in Bounds Green for a couple of years, not Old Oak Common.

180104 should be good for service tomorrow but unfortunately 180108 is out of action due to being involved in a fatality yesterday which punctured a fuel tank and punctured two engine oil sumps. These will both require changing.

jimm

Established Member
180102 was the last set to come back from Kilmarnock.

180104 was in Bounds Green for a couple of years, not Old Oak Common.

180104 should be good for service tomorrow but unfortunately 180108 is out of action due to being involved in a fatality yesterday which punctured a fuel tank and punctured two engine oil sumps. These will both require changing.

Yes, sorry, brain and fingers not in gear there. 102 spent quite a lot of time out of use at Old Oak before it became a floating spare for HT and GC during overhauls.

BestWestern

Established Member

Jesus what did it hit, a suicidal Darlek?! Ouch :(

fgwrich

Established Member
From a friend of mine over in FGW:

180102s drivers emergency hatch door detached / came off whilst passing a XC Voyager at speed at Pangbourne on Tuesday afternoon.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
180102s drivers emergency hatch door detached / came off whilst passing a XC Voyager at speed at Pangbourne on Tuesday afternoon.

Ahh that's always the sign of a quality product :lol:

Though this reminds me of a story I heard from the early days of HSTs when the guards compartment was still in the power cars. Apparently there was a guard sat in the compartment and whilst roaring along at 125mph the luggage door popped open next to him. Must have been quite a surprise!

Established Member
Though this reminds me of a story I heard from the early days of HSTs when the guards compartment was still in the power cars. Apparently there was a guard sat in the compartment and whilst roaring along at 125mph the luggage door popped open next to him. Must have been quite a surprise!
Thats what happened last year or so hence all the locked out of use / in use A4 stickers that appeared in the windows of the cargo doors for a good while.

spark001uk

Established Member
Anyone the latest on whats running and ifso what days and times upto Herefordshire way!
This will be my winter project!! LOL

I believe the diagrams are as Jimm said on the previous page, but bear in mind one unit was damaged in a fatality and another lost an emergency hatch, so there may only be 3 units in service until one of those is repaired, I'm not sure??

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is the internal spec the same as the Hull Trains units? If so, presumably there is the possibility of some short term hires in cases where either TOC is short of units?

jimm

Established Member
Is the internal spec the same as the Hull Trains units? If so, presumably there is the possibility of some short term hires in cases where either TOC is short of units?

No possibility whatever. The FGW sets are covered by a funding agreement between FGW and DfT as an add-on to the franchise agreement, so there would be trouble if such stock were used by Hull Trains, which is an open access operation.

And HT doesn't have stock to spare, with three sets needed in service, with one spare/on maintenance, nor for that matter does FGW, with the 05.48 from London and 08.26 return from Worcester cancelled this morning due to a faulty 180.

The FGW sets do not have the enhanced first class catering area that the HT trains are fitted with.

jimm

Established Member
HT have an enhanced catering area? In what way is it enhanced?

Slightly larger area for equipment so they can prepare hot food. I believe it required the removal of a pair of airline seats.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Slightly larger area for equipment so they can prepare hot food. I believe it required the removal of a pair of airline seats.

Fair enough, though I note that the original spec included a combined microwave/oven so did this take the form of another one of those or something else?

jimm

Established Member
Fair enough, though I note that the original spec included a combined microwave/oven so did this take the form of another one of those or something else?

No idea, but I was told by someone who should know at FGW that the removal of the pair of seats to make space for extra catering kit on the HT sets was the only difference in specification from the FGW refits.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm interesting, I'm quite curious to find out what exactly they got changed now :lol:

TEW

Established Member
Have the buffets on FGW 180s been refurbished to the same standard as HT ones? As they aren't even used it would seem a bit pointless installing any new equipment in them.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm pretty sure Hull Trains had additional catering equipment installed in first class so they could serve hot food, as for a while they had very restricted complimentary options before this work was carried out. What this consists of I'm not sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.