• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJC_158

hi,

at most of the FGW stations eg bath spa, chippenham, BTM etc, when announcing the next service it would say

"platform 1 for the 10.00 first great western high speed service to BTM" for example. and for the other services it would just say first great western service. now i have noticed that they dont have the high speed service and it is just under first great western service.

i know that there was talk of being FGW high speed and FGW local when they first won the franchise but now it seems to be all under FGW.

just wondering whether you might know the reason why its changed back to first great western as opposed to FGW high speed.

cheers,
Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
It's because all the passengers fell about laughing when FGW trains were announced as 'high speed'. The senior management deemed the announcements too dangerous after one customer who was ROFLing at Bodmin Parkway actually fell off of the platform and into the path of a train.

Dennis

Established Member
Indeed, I am joking. I haven't the foggiest why FGW are dropping the 'high speed' from their announcements, I'd have thought that a positive term like that would be something to keep, not ditch.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Would be so much more easier if they kept to the damn Express, Local and Link idea.

Twas a great idea to differentiate between em.. but nooooooooooo :sleepy5:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It must be very confusing for passengers! If TPE and Northern became one company again and all services were announced as Northern I can imagine it would be incredibly confusing, with passengers getting on supposedly express services and then realising that they were on an all stopper ;)

paul1609

Established Member
I was certainly amused when I heard this Auto announcement at Barnham on the way home one night
" Platform 2 for the delayed 17.33 First Great Western High Speed Service to Cardiff Central calling at Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Dean, Dunbridge, Salisbury, Warminster, Dilton Marsh, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Severn Tunnel Junction, Newport and Cardiff Central.
This train is formed of 2 coaches.
A Trolley Service of Drinks and Light Refreshments is available on this train.
We are sorry to announce that this train is reported as full and standing.
We would like to apologise for the late running of this train and the inconvience this will cause to your journey this was caused by passenger congestion in the Brighton Area.
Passengers should note that Dilton Marsh is a request stop. Passengers wishing to alight at this station should contact the conductor.
Platform 2 for the delayed 17.33 First Great Western High Speed Service to Cardiff Central"

Bring back the 31s!

Jim

Established Member
I was certainly amused when I heard this Auto announcement at Barnham on the way home one night
" Platform 2 for the delayed 17.33 First Great Western High Speed Service to Cardiff Central calling at Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Dean, Dunbridge, Salisbury, Warminster, Dilton Marsh, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Severn Tunnel Junction, Newport and Cardiff Central.
This train is formed of 2 coaches.
A Trolley Service of Drinks and Light Refreshments is available on this train.
We are sorry to announce that this train is reported as full and standing.
We would like to apologise for the late running of this train and the inconvience this will cause to your journey this was caused by passenger congestion in the Brighton Area.
Passengers should note that Dilton Marsh is a request stop. Passengers wishing to alight at this station should contact the conductor.
Platform 2 for the delayed 17.33 First Great Western High Speed Service to Cardiff Central"

Bring back the 31s!

There is a few farced anouncments about

Status
Not open for further replies.