• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW First Class offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

This offer sounds too good to be true

Has anyone actually tried it with a cheap season like people are suggesting above?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This offer sounds too good to be true

Has anyone actually tried it with a cheap season like people are suggesting above?!
What are they going to do if they don't like it? Try to issue a UPFN?:lol: Just appeal it, write to First Group, Passenger Focus, and if you like, the media.

There's nothing to say there is a minimum value on the ticket.

Oh, and that woman at First who reckons a ticket issued between 00:00 and 02:00 is issued for the previous day is WRONG.

The 01:39 from York (for example) is a "peak" train for tickets issued on that day. If you buy before midnight, then you can use an off-peak.

So she's hardly an authoritative source of information!

wintonian

Established Member
What are they going to do if they don't like it? Try to issue a UPFN?:lol: Just appeal it, write to First Group, Passenger Focus, and if you like, the media.

There's nothing to say there is a minimum value on the ticket.

Oh, and that woman at First who reckons a ticket issued between 00:00 and 02:00 is issued for the previous day is WRONG.

The 01:39 from York (for example) is a "peak" train for tickets issued on that day. If you buy before midnight, then you can use an off-peak.

So she's hardly an authoritative source of information!

True, but you would be traveling with a voucher and not a ticket, Such a voucher I would assume would need to be exchanged for a ticket!

That is what I expect them to claim.

bnm

Established Member
I shall be attempting to use this offer, this weekend with a 7DF season. I'll let you know how I get on.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
True, but you would be traveling with a voucher and not a ticket, Such a voucher I would assume would need to be exchanged for a ticket!

That is what I expect them to claim.
A ticket with no cost then! But it doesn't say that you should exchange it for a ticket! It says it is a "travel voucher" and asks you to present it to the train manager. If they wanted you to exchange it for a ticket, they'd be asking you to do this at the ticket office (where available) rather than asking you to get the guard to do it. But, whatever, if the guard exchanges it for a ticket, that's fine, but there is no cost to that ticket if so!

Unless there is a time restriction, it has to be valid from 00:00.

So the sleeper from Reading has to be valid.

Supplements apply to berths, not seats.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see how, or indeed why, FGW would want to stop anyone taking advantage of this offer. They have not specified any restrictions on the value or duration of the season in their terms and conditions, but more importantly, it will be providing extra revenue which they would not otherwise have got if bnm is anything to go by!

I'd guess more people are going to get a season they would not otherwise have bought in order to get some trips in - this is true optional travel -than there will be who were planning a FC weekend trip and who now think, hang on, I'll get myself a cheap 7 day FC season instead!

wintonian

Established Member
A ticket with no cost then! But it doesn't say that you should exchange it for a ticket! It says it is a "travel voucher" and asks you to present it to the train manager. If they wanted you to exchange it for a ticket, they'd be asking you to do this at the ticket office (where available) rather than asking you to get the guard to do it. But, whatever, if the guard exchanges it for a ticket, that's fine, but there is no cost to that ticket if so!

Ahh looking at the NCoC again it dosn't even matter if it is a ticket or not:

NCoC said:
Before you travel you must have a ticket or other authority to travel which is valid for the
train(s) you intend to use and for the journey you intend to make.

So yes, I agree.

Edit: heres the voucher if pepole are intrested:

p.s. was looking at the wrong thing 1st time.

Attachments

• fgw.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
.....it will be providing extra revenue which they would not otherwise have got if bnm is anything to go by!

I only plan to hand over about £9 to FGW for my 7DF season and then seriously max out on the 1st Class mileage on Sat an Sun. :D

The offer even allows for complementaries from the buffet as well. I may just buy a couple of beers onboard, but even for them I'll be using the '£1 off a £5+ spend' catering voucher - another current FGW offer. :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK, so any guard who comes across a voucher should be issuing a ticket, free of course. If the guard invents a rule that the season has to be valid for 1 month, politely refuse to pay anything and if they insist on issuing a UPFN, comply with that, and immediately appeal it and make a complaint that the guard acted incorrectly, enclose copies to Passenger Focus, and if you don't mind the attention it'd be good material for Watchdog or the Press.

I doubt any* FGW guards (or ticket office staff) will be refusing to honour these vouchers, but I understand people are concerned and want to be prepared, so if they do refuse it, then take the advice above and it will be their problem, not yours.

* Hmm, actually, a small minority of FGW staff do give the vast majority of good staff a bit of a bad name sometimes... <( so, err, actually there probably are one or two 'bad apples' you will need to be on your guard against, so yes, be prepared.<D But the chances of coming across them is slim. But don't let that put you off.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The offer even allows for complementaries from the buffet as well.
Yes, I saw that, and that does surprise me. I expect they may limit you to just 1 drink and 1 biscuit or something. But still, a very good offer.

bnm

Established Member
Fear not. I plan to travel fully armed with screencap printouts of the offer and its T&Cs.

Oh, and a smile and non-confrontational demeanour should the offer be challenged. :lol:

premier01

It doesn't say that it has to be 1 month anywhere that I can see.

A
m I correct in saying that the Virgin Traveller Club allows free weekend 1st travel-entry based on 8 return 1st journeys within 3 months-not quite £8 but ok if you're using it anyway for 1 years free weekend travel plus the other benefits with th club.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I shall be attempting to use this offer, this weekend with a 7DF season. I'll let you know how I get on.

The other point is I'm guessing that some of the train managers wont like the idea of customers 'exploiting' loopholes and will simply enforce the 'train managers discretion rule'

Not that I'm suggesting this is an exploitation-hope it works-just that some-thankfully not most-train managers see things like this as smart arse tactics-the more offer customers can use the better I say and don't know why some people take this attitude some times.

embers25

Established Member
I noticed that fGW only offer standard monthly seasons for all stations in Cornwall and Devon. Can these be upgraded to first class to be able to use this offer? Also just to clarify...what are the "complimentary things I'd be entitled to from the Express Cafe?"

bnm

Established Member
I noticed that fGW only offer standard monthly seasons for all stations in Cornwall and Devon. Can these be upgraded to first class to be able to use this offer? Also just to clarify...what are the "complimentary things I'd be entitled to from the Express Cafe?"

Complementaries at the weekend will most likely be a hot drink, bottle of water (250ml still/sparkling) and some biscuits/crisps.

No at seat trolley at the weekend so no fruit, danish, pain au chocolat, fruit juice, muesli bar etc.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I only plan to hand over about £9 to FGW for my 7DF season and then seriously max out on the 1st Class mileage on Sat an Sun. :D

The offer even allows for complementaries from the buffet as well. I may just buy a couple of beers onboard, but even for them I'll be using the '£1 off a £5+ spend' catering voucher - another current FGW offer. :lol:

It's £9 more than they would have got otherwise, except for the fact that you will probably consume more than that in buffet comps! Which rather undermines my argument - if FGW didn't think it through (like me) they may well get stung!

radamfi

Established Member
Where does it say that the season ticket has to be for a fGW journey? What if the season ticket is partly on fGW and partly not? Does it matter what train company you buy the ticket from?

tannedfrog

what does Flamingo think of this one? He works on FGW doesn't he?

I'm not sure I could sit there relaxing in First Class with a £9 season ticket and free voucher, I'm too nervous of what the guard will say!

Also there was something earlier about the offer being sent to qualifying ticket holders - is there an argument that it is an invitation-only offer?

embers25

Established Member
Spoke to fGW today and had it confirmed that it is only monthly or longer seasons. In addition all stations are supposed to have been warned about the promotion and so barrier staff shouldn't(!) be an issue! The exact words used by the lady on the phone made me laugh "The weekly season ticket isn't really a season ticket so isn't valid for this offer!" You couldn't make it up but at least give them kudos for knowing about the offer and double checking and calling a station for me to remind them to take my voucher! Hopefully I can purchase a season ticket that really is a season ticket!!!!!

wintonian

Established Member

I'm not sure I could sit there relaxing in First Class with a £9 season ticket and free voucher, I'm too nervous of what the guard will say!

Also there was something earlier about the offer being sent to qualifying ticket holders - is there an argument that it is an invitation-only offer?

I would say that means the details were sent to those who qualified at the time they were sent!

If you bought a season ticket yesterday or next week the surly you would also qualify, just you didn't when the details were sent out.

Flamingo

Established Member

What was the question?

Anyway, I don't think, I merely implement the directives as they arrive (along with my managers instructions - the fact they are contradictory only makes it more interesting!). I believe the army phrase that covers it is "obey the last order".

Seriously, all I know about this one is what I've read on here, my depot has not heard about it.

I'd probably make a phone call, get someone in control who's answer could be summarised as "Huh?", and then make my mind up accordingly depending on my mood and their attitude<D!

Seriously. I'd probably give the benefit of the doubt (unless the passenger really failed the attitude test)! Most of the others I work with would as well. If anyone didn't, then the usual - get names, times and receipts for the letter to Swindon, and remember that politeness works better than "I know my rights". Remember, there is a high chance that the Guard has not had a briefing on it (I haven't).

bnm

Established Member
A very enlightening (and common sense) response there, Flamingo. You're not working the 0830 BRI-PAD this Saturday are you? I promise to try my hardest to pass the 'attitude' test and not trot out the "I know my rights" line.....

;):p:lol:

Seriously, I'm not at all surprised that the offer has not been communicated to the 'troops' on the ground. Yet again today I had a Customer Host query my '£1 off a £5+ spend' Buffet voucher. Marketing come up with these poorly implemented offers and the frontline staff are left to decide on validity. A poor situation for all, but recent experience has taught me that this is far from unusual. Someone needs to bang a few heads together at FGW Towers.

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Seriously, I'm not at all surprised that the offer has not been communicated to the 'troops' on the ground. Yet again today I had a Customer Host query my '£1 off a £5+ spend' Buffet voucher. Marketing come up with these poorly implemented offers and the frontline staff are left to decide on validity. A poor situation for all, but recent experience has taught me that this is far from unusual. Someone needs to bang a few heads together at FGW Towers.

I think you'll find it across the industry mate. Right into the preservation railways!

TEW

Established Member
You're not working the 0830 BRI-PAD this Saturday are you?
Would be very unlikely. Swindon-Didcot Parkway is closed this weekend and services are running are around 10 minutes later from Bristol, diverted via Trowbridge and Pewsey, taking around 30 mins longer.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
So let me get this straight before I waste my time or money and find out I can't do it..

So, I could go down my station at Trowbridge [TRO] simply armed with £9 and a photo from the photo-me machine, go down and ask for a FC 7 day weekly season from Appleford - Culham and they would be able to do it even though I am miles away from the route in question?

Once this is done, I fill out a voucher for every journey and can make use of this offer every saturday and sunday until the end basically? (I don't think it means it is limited to one free day only)

I think the ticket clerk will look at me odd asking for an offball season ticket...I doubt he can refuse because it sound stupid or whatever! (If he does, he aint getting away with it!)

furryfeet

ask for a FC 7 day weekly season from Appleford - Culham
From post 47 above, you would be safer buying a monthly season for Appleford - Culham at 33.50 instead of 8.70

I have put a new thread on another forum to see if this will elicit a proper statement from someone as to what exactly the offers Terms and Conditions really are. If this reveals anything, then I post it on this thread.

As to the rest of your comments then
a) yes the booking clerk has to sell you the ticket that you ask for.
b) you should be able to buy the ticket at any station with a booking office.

p.s. If you are buying a monthly (or longer) season ticket for the first time then you will have to fill in a form and present some proof of address
i.e. driving license, or utility bill.
(I presume this is for dealing with any refund / compensation issues if the ticket is surrendered early.)

wintonian

Established Member
From post 47 above, you would be safer buying a monthly season for Appleford - Culham at 33.50 instead of 8.70

I have put a new thread on another forum to see if this will elicit a proper statement from someone as to what exactly the offers Terms and Conditions really are. If this reveals anything, then I post it on this thread.

As to the rest of your comments then
a) yes the booking clerk has to sell you the ticket that you ask for.
b) you should be able to buy the ticket at any station with a booking office.

p.s. If you are buying a monthly (or longer) season ticket for the first time then you will have to fill in a form and present some proof of address
i.e. driving license, or utility bill.
(I presume this is for dealing with any refund / compensation issues if the ticket is surrendered early.)

I bought the ticket yesterday (1 month) from SWT and was not asked to fill out a form or provide any ID, they just wanted the first line of my address, and my rather old pink British Rail photocard.

No funny looks, no issues just a comment on how good a price it was!

Flamingo

Established Member
A very enlightening (and common sense) response there, Flamingo. You're not working the 0830 BRI-PAD this Saturday are you? I promise to try my hardest to pass the 'attitude' test and not trot out the "I know my rights" line.....

;):p:lol:

No, afraid not. Otherwise, I'd refuse it just to see the fun with you posting on here about bloody jobsworth guards!! <D (Joke!)

Seriously, we haven't had much from above on this. I'm surprised, to be honest. Usually something wends it's way to the shop floor (eventually), even if not in time for the launch.

laird

Is there a case for buying a 1 month and 2/9 days Appleford to Culham 1st class season and then surrending it on returning Sunday evening for a refund?

The ticket would be a monthly season so no question as to its validity, the pro-rata refund would apply (presumably 1 month refund?) and the admin fee £10?

Taking the 1 month 2 day example:
1 month 2 days Appleford to Culham First Class Season £35.70
minus
1 month 0 day Appleford to Culham First Class Season £33.50

Pro-rata cost £2.70
Plus admin fee £10.00

Total cost per weekend £12.70

Or am I missing something?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know if thimgs have changed, but it used to be the case that you would be charged the equivalent in daily/weekly/monthly tickets for the period that you held the ticket.

You will be deducted the two day fares plus the admin fee.

wintonian

Established Member
Just bought my sleeper suppliment at Reading and was not asked to show my ticket, they just issued the suppliment.

So now only got to hope the guard knows about the offer and dosn't kick me off the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.