• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW First Class offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
I don't know if thimgs have changed, but it used to be the case that you would be charged the equivalent in daily/weekly/monthly tickets for the period that you held the ticket.

You will be deducted the two day fares plus the admin fee.

Unfortunately, two FDRs from Appleford to Culham cost £10.40, which is more than a weekly! Still worth getting a refund after either one or two weeks, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
No, but there is a shaving socket, so some phones (such as iPhones) can be charged :)

penaltyfines

Do you get/need a photocard with a 7-day season? I have a YP photocard, can I use that?

This site says season tickets are valid for 7 days plus:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/seasonticket/calculator

The Ts&Cs don't mention it has to be valid for a month or longer, just that it is a season ticket.

If the offer can be withdrawn at any time or is at the train manager's discretion - can they do that when you're actually on the train?

laird

Discussion at firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop suggests briefing to staff is calling for a month or more of validity on the season.

But if after refund the 1 month 2 days costs £10.70 then it means 2 days travel for £20.70 including the admin fee so not necessarily a bad deal?

Can a 7 day season ticket be excessed to a one month season onboard if the worst happens?

embers25

Established Member
Some more clarity from fGW customer services.

Train manager discretion is nothing to worry about and tickets will be accepted by all train managers.

You need a different voucher for each trip and so I was advised to print off many if I was touring around!

Vouchers can be validated on train by the guard or interestingly by the station booking office. The latter option being suggested if I was still worried about "train manager discretion".

As of now all levels at fGW Customer Services say in their T&C's the Night Riviera tonight is NOT allowed as it is considered a friday train but they are awaiting a final decision from Head Office and will call me back. The lady also pointed out it didn't have first class making it invalid and so I pointed out the online T&C's allow for travel in second class where there is no first class and also it states any train on saturday meaning the sleeper should be valid from Reading onwards. Once I get a response I'll update and if nothing else at least the lady escalated it up to head office herself without me needing to ask and even called to apologise for the extra delay this would cause which you have to give her full marks for. Considering its been going almost a month it still seems very badly publicised amongst their own staff and the T&C's leave much to interpretation and I feel for the poor call centre team who seem to have about as much guidance as we do but at least are trying to be friendly and helpful and always answer almost instantly!!

wintonian

Established Member
Well I phoned them up again on Wednesday and they agreed that the railway day stars a 00:00 and therefore the voucher would be valid on the sleep with payment of any appropriate supplements.

Also the T&C's state that it is available on all FGW services so they can’t suddenly make it not available without first updating the T&C’s and honouring it for those that have already taken up the sleeper by making a reservation or paying a supplement, surly?

3. The First Class Weekend travel voucher is valid for multiple journeys between Saturday 23rd October and Sunday 28th November 2010, on all First Great Western services on Saturdays and Sundays that have First Class accommodation.
4. Valid on First Great Western services only.
5. The voucher includes entitlement to First Class complimentary items.
6. The voucher has no refund value and no alternative or cash can be given.
7. The voucher is subject to First Class availability or the Train Manager’s discretion.
8. This offer is also valid in Standard Class accommodation where no First Class accommodation is available.

In any case I have already made my reservation and paid the supplement.

Do let us know what they come back with.

embers25

Established Member
fGW Customer service manager just rang back and confirmed that the Fares Manager has approved it for use on the sleeper, so common sense prevails and full marks for fGW for the way they have handled my queries.

penaltyfines

Appreciate what you're saying about monthly validity, but internal discussions within FGW don't really count unless they put it as terms of the offer or on the voucher...?

wintonian

Established Member
Well I got on the sleeper and the attendent took my voucher with out question, though he did say he would give it to the train manager and he might wan't to give me a recipt for it, so all ok so far.

bnm

Established Member
Enjoy the trip Wintonian, I hope Cornwall is open! It wasn't for me when I went down that way on Wednesday!

I'm off in a few hours on a round trip with this offer, first to Paddington, thence to Worcester and back to Bristol.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
Was allowed on sleeper at Paddington to reach Reading with a normal ticket (despite it being pick up only) due to the 2330 to Reading being delayed by a person falling ill. It eventually arrived at Reading right behind the sleeper at just after 0020. Guard had no issue with my voucher and unlike Wintonian he didn't take my voucher either. The rest of the day I've had no issues at all with both guards and buffet stewards and so far no voucher has been taken by anyone. Interestingly my friend had his taken on the 0730 to Penzance and was issued a £20 Weekend First Upgrade ticket to replace it!! Cornwall was very much open and very sunny for most of the day. For those wanting an interesting trip down some very narrow country lanes I can thoroughly recommend the rail replacement minibus from Par to Newquay calling at all the local stations that will be running till at least Thursday.

All in all well done on all levels fGW a very nice day out...more tomorrow I hope.

bnm

Established Member
Well, I got my vouchers exchanged for tickets at Bristol Temple Meads and Paddington. At Temple Meads the clerk consulted the staff briefing, but made no comment about my Season only being valid for 7 days. At Paddington the clerk again was happy to issue the ticket, but was not so happy that if I didn't pay the nominal 5p fare his till would be down! So I paid up. Therefore my free weekend 1st Class Travel set me back five new pence!

On board I had only one Train Manager query the tickets. Unsurprisingly, he was unaware of the offer, but I showed him the T&Cs I'd printed off and whilst he commented that my Season was only valued at £8.70, he didn't press the issue.

Attachments

• fgwsto1.jpg
    fgwsto1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 58

wintonian

Established Member
Only had minor issues mainly with the catering staff not knwing what they were, but also had one guard when I got on at Barnstable saying he had not heard about the offer and reading through the blurb alsmost tried telling me I couldn't use it on his modified bus as it was for first class (maybe I'm just too good for them :p), I politly pointed out that his bus did not convey first class and where that is the case the voucher is still valid - he was reasonably happy after a read through the t&C's.

A nice bit of rather cheap HST bashing on the GWML and a couple of branch lines (Falmouth and the Tarka Line) done today - Thanks FGW.

BTW do FGW not give out papers on a Saturday cause I havn't been able to find one?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, I got my vouchers exchanged for tickets at Bristol Temple Meads and Paddington. At Temple Meads the clerk consulted the staff briefing, but made no comment about my Season only being valid for 7 days. At Paddington the clerk again was happy to issue the ticket, but was not so happy that if I didn't pay the nominal 5p fare his till would be down! So I paid up. Therefore my free weekend 1st Class Travel set me back five new pence!

On board I had only one Train Manager query the tickets. Unsurprisingly, he was unaware of the offer, but I showed him the T&Cs I'd printed off and whilst he commented that my Season was only valued at £8.70, he didn't press the issue.

What a bl**dy cheek!

Send in for a refund! :lol:

Oh and you can go off pepole <( :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
After the stories of Tocs issuing penalty fares for people paying the same price but going one stop further, the manner in which their staff trick and deceive customers into paying more than they have to by telling lies about when and how tickets are valid rather than just accepting that their knowledge is not correct and going to find out or just leaving the matter, I go after the Toc in any instance where I have been overcharged and ask for compensation.

I've just had a dealing with FGW after being overcharged by 15p and had no issues in going after them after I was lied to by 3 different members of their staff.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... At Temple Meads the clerk consulted the staff briefing, but made no comment about my Season only being valid for 7 days. ...

....and whilst he commented that my Season was only valued at £8.70, he didn't press the issue.
Good, the T&Cs do not in any way indicate that a Monthly is required. There's no way anyone should allow someone to invent a rule that isn't published in the T&Cs. I wouldn't stand for it if anyone did that! But I am glad that staff are acting correctly and accepting weeklies :)

Flamingo

Established Member
BTW do FGW not give out papers on a Saturday cause I havn't been able to find one?

No :D
I've just had a dealing with FGW after being overcharged by 15p and had no issues in going after them after I was lied to by 3 different members of their staff.
:roll:

bnm

Established Member
I got an extremely good deal thanks to FGW not being more circumspect with their Terms and Conditions. So in light of that I'll not be pressing for a refund of my five pee. It can go into Mr Lockhead's retirement fund if they like!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Problem? It's okay for Tocs to threaten and frighten passengers for paying the same fare or for the member of staff making a mistake? But if it's the other way round people should shrug it off?

embers25

Established Member
Another good day out with no issues at all though no ticket check Reading to Hereford or on the return to Worcester and on the 1610 Bristol Parkway to Paddington by the time we left Bath it was crush loading in Standard and even First Class ticket holding passengers were standing which is just madness. Combining Swansea and Bristol trains every hour just doesn't work. In past years during these diversions the Swansea ones have been non-stop from Parkway via the Dr Days to Bath and Newbury thus saving the time spent reversing at Bristol Temple Meads and controlling loadings but I guess this way saves a train each hour!

bnm

Established Member
Partly because of the Swindon-Didcot closure, I decided not to go out again today, because I knew the HSTs from Bristol would be rammed, even in First.

Yesterday the South Wales services were running via the Berks & Hants then through Melksham, calling at Chippenham then reversing at Swindon, then onward to Bristol Parkway and South Wales, and vice versa. Quite why that can't also be done on a Sunday I can't quite fathom. Maybe a logistical issue with crews and Sunday rostering.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Problem? It's okay for Tocs to threaten and frighten passengers for paying the same fare or for the member of staff making a mistake? But if it's the other way round people should shrug it off?
Northern took a passenger to court over about 10p and lost. They don't care as taxpayers foot the bill! However if it's reversed and we are owed 10p we should just accept it. That's because "the customer is always wrong" is the attitude that some people on the railway have. Far more should be done to weed that attitude out of the industry. It simply does not exist in other service industries. Yes, it's a minority, but that's still unacceptable.

tannedfrog

Yesterday I experienced a couple of strange looks from barrier staff and catering staff but overall using my vouchers was fine.

Today I exchanged at the ticket office which caused some bemusement and an attempt to charge me £20, but it was OK in the end, and having a proper ticket let me get through barriers and get complementary items without having to explain.
I'd like to try again next week but I wonder if they will tighten things up

bnm

Established Member
FGW could tighten up by making the T&Cs more explicit, but I doubt they'll bother as next weekend is the last weekend on which the offer is valid.

I suspect they'll chalk it up to experience if there has been excessive use by 'loophole exploiters' such as myself. They should have enough evidence of those who've used the ambiguity in the T&Cs. There's this thread and the numerous calls made to FGW from those that've posted here!

I'd think that if FGW run this offer again, we can expect to see less generous Terms and Conditions.

penaltyfines

Had a good run around on Sunday, no issues with any of the guards, none of them even took the voucher!

Flamingo

Established Member
No, but if all you can find time to do with your life is spend hours trying to claim back 15p (and I just KNOW you are going to say it's the principle of it), then you need to get out more.
Partly because of the Swindon-Didcot closure, I decided not to go out again today, because I knew the HSTs from Bristol would be rammed, even in First.

Yesterday the South Wales services were running via the Berks & Hants then through Melksham, calling at Chippenham then reversing at Swindon, then onward to Bristol Parkway and South Wales, and vice versa. Quite why that can't also be done on a Sunday I can't quite fathom. Maybe a logistical issue with crews and Sunday rostering.

The line between Swindon and BPW was having work on it as well Sunday, as far as I know.

penaltyfines

If a ticket was the wrong one but 15p short I'm sure a shady SWT RPI would glady PF someone... it's the principle obviously... :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, but if all you can find time to do with your life is spend hours trying to claim back 15p (and I just KNOW you are going to say it's the principle of it), then you need to get out more.
Hours? If you want to start insulting people, then you are the one who "needs to get out more" if you think it takes hours to fill in a few boxes on a form and post an envelope. It took about 1 minute, and I got far more than 15p back in compensation and apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.