• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW High Density HST Mk3 Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I travel weekly on Voyagers & manage fine with the laptop on my lap :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asopu10

Looks nice to me, though first class looksa quite, erm, cosey, I noticed they have safety info booklets at every seat too, so something for everyone to draw on and put coffe on, very nice of them :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As I said above, they have had them on existing HSTs for a few years now, and I've never seen one that's been drawn on.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"There are no more coaches, so we put in more seats, high quality ones at that. "

Correction: "There are more coaches, but we let GrandCentral have them, while others have gone for scrap/store. Oh, and we're reducing the number of coaches while GNER increased theirs."

It's amazing what propaganda translates into - something completely different! ;)

(Before people say "But the stored coaches were loco hauled", yes I know, as do GrandCentral, and they are managing. If First really wanted longer trains they could have them, but the reality is they want shorter ones to bring down leasing/track access charge costs.)

devon_metro

Established Member
"There are no more coaches, so we put in more seats, high quality ones at that. "

Correction: "There are more coaches, but we let GrandCentral have them, while others have gone for scrap/store. Oh, and we're reducing the number of coaches while GNER increased theirs."

It's amazing what propaganda translates into - something completely different! ;)

(Before people say "But the stored coaches were loco hauled", yes I know, as do GrandCentral, and they are managing. If First really wanted longer trains they could have them, but the reality is they want shorter ones to bring down leasing/track access charge costs.)

It must be a trick of mind considering fGW are converting ex loco hauled stock. Take the ex loco hauled buffet in this consist: http://cjm.fotopic.net/p37092165.html

theblackwatch

Established Member

There would also be the option of converting the catering cars into standard coaches- it has already been done with a couple of vehicles so would be possible. Then there's a cheaper option of using one of the smaller buffet (TRSB) vehicles of which around 15 are in store, these have 35 Standard Class seats in their current layout.

theblackwatch

Established Member
That's quite possibly just in use as a barrier vehicle, I'd assume it's a sleeper vehicle?

It's actually one of the catering cars usually formed in the Night Riviera - as you say, it's just being used as a barrier coach.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Correction: "There are more coaches, but we let GrandCentral have them, while others have gone for scrap/store. Oh, and we're reducing the number

You are being a bit mean there remember Last group also bought some HSTs and HST Mk3s and they are getting there hands on just about every HST Mk3 there still is leaving GC to have to convert loco hauled ones...

Despite Last group have got a lot of things wrong why don't people ever look at what good they have done. They have replaced most Turbos on the fast Oxfords with HSTs or 180s. The Thames Valley seems to get a alright service...

But I never really travel long distances on trains any more its too expensive anyway. So much of the govermant wanting to get more poeple off the roads and onto trains put fuel tax up but they put rail fares up even more...

Established Member
Whilst were on FGW, what happened to the Oxford-Bristol service, was a useful little run and busy even on the 07xx off Oxford.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if the Longterm aim of FGW/DfT, the ultimate way of CostCutting, something which has already started, is to see these High Density "High Speed" services stopping at all stations on the mainline that they've traditionally run along, and meeting the branch services at appropriate stations.

metrocammel

Ewwwe.... The pics of the standard class look terrible. Im sure the trains to Dachau had more comfort than those terrible thin seats. They seem even worse than the "physically challenging" ;) seats on the "one" mk3's. The FC's dont look too bad, but look rather similar to the seats on the mk4 "Mallard" sets, which aren't particularly comfy... but are OK.

I will definately be avoiding these new mk3's, and although at first I thought "Chaz's" comment regarding Pendo's being better was un-acceptable, I must say, he is probably right, however at least these mk3's are not as claustraphobic as 390's...

Dennis

Established Member
Perhaps someone would like to choose alternative seats and recommend FGW fit them....heres a catalogue; http://www.compin.com/UK/produits.htm

Remember, it's not how thin the seats are that govern comfort, but the amount of support given by the combination of design and materials used.

Now i wonder what kind of seats Transport Scotland have decided on for the 156/158 refurb, we'll just need to wait until Feb to find out...

asopu10

some of those seats don't look any better anyway! And some of them look like they'd be very suseptable to vanderlism.

Status
Not open for further replies.